C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

what is this piece by my battery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Sport
what is this piece by my battery?

was checking my cabin filter tonight and noticed this hose by my battery. Anyone know what it's for?

Old 04-28-2011, 01:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
Originally Posted by cmarcho
was checking my cabin filter tonight and noticed this hose by my battery. Anyone know what it's for?

The vent hose for your battery.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Sport
LOL!

Thanks. It did look suspicous just sitting there like it was supposed to be connected to something on that end.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
The new batterys are sealed from my understanding and they did away with the vent hose. That is what the road side assistance guy said mine no longer has one too. That reminds me i want to see where my battery was made.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
[QUOTE=cmarcho;4647439]was checking my cabin filter tonight and noticed this hose by my battery. Anyone know what it's for?

QUOTE]
With that white powder on & around your terminal it appears that the terminal is corroding.

I suggest cleaning with a teaspoon of carb soda in a small jug of water & a tooth brush . It will neutralise it .

Then to prevent the corrosion occuring smear the terminals with a light coating of Petroleum Jelly.

This proceedure will prevent future bad connections at the terminals.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
New OEM batteries do have a vent hole (at least the made in Germany ones). Cleaning the terminals with baking soda has always been a good trick from time to time. If the battery is good and great contacts you should not have any of this corrosion

There is a battery terminal spray coating specifically formulated for the job, and is available at the auto parts retail stores if you need to use some sort of coating

However I would NOT put any type of grease especially vasoline on my terminals

Underhood temperatures will cause the petroleum jelly to liquify, thus run down between the cable and the terminal - effectively creating an insulating barrier. And at the very worst could run between the post, the seal and into the battery case.

Over years I cleaned up several of these well-intentioned mistakes that friends did when their car would not start and this seamed to be the culprit

The BEST thing I have found to reduce cable/terminal corrosion is make little felt washers that slip over the battery post before you place the cable on. I do this little trick on my old TR6. my MB never has a problem with terminal corrosion.

BTW Corrosion comes from acid vapors leaking past the seal between the post and the top of the battery. The oiled, felt washers help to keep these vapors from going up between the cable terminal and the battery post.

Last edited by Boom vang; 04-28-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I have applied vasoline to my battery terminals for 47 years . My father did the same throughout his life time of maintaining farm machinery . We have never had a problem with an " insulating barrier" & corrosion of the posts.

Power station emergency power supply lead acid battery's posts are coated with vasoline to prevent corrosion.

I agree with your use of the vasoline impregnated felt washer.

Source:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead%E2%80%93acid_battery

Corrosion problems:
Corrosion of the external metal parts of the lead-acid battery results from a chemical reaction of the battery terminals, lugs and connectors. It can be caused by the following:

The corrosion on the positive terminal is caused by electrolysis, due a mismatch of metal alloys used in the manufacture of the battery terminal and cable connector. White corrosion is usually lead or zinc sulfate crystals. Aluminum connectors corrode to aluminum sulfate. Copper connectors produce blue and white corrosion crystals. Corrosion of a battery's terminals can be reduced by coating the terminals with petroleum jelly or a commercially available product made for the purpose.

If the battery is over-filled with water and electrolyte, thermal expansion can force some of the liquid out of the battery vents onto the top of the battery. This solution can then react with the lead and other metals in the battery connector and cause corrosion.

The electrolyte can weep from the plastic-to-lead seal where the battery terminals penetrate the plastic case.

Acid fumes that vaporize through the vent caps, often caused by overcharging, and insufficient battery box ventilation can allow the sulfuric acid fumes to build up and react with the exposed metals.