C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Suggestions for a cash strapped student's C240

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320, SLK230, T1N Sprinter
Originally Posted by Karo
His car started handling better especially in the rain lol

Also I saw somewhere here about torching the springs??? Don't do it!!!

Here is an example of what can happen if you torch your springs.

https://mbworld.org/forums/suspensio...g-springs.html
Had he heated the spring at the BOTTOM only (where there is evidence he did, in fact) he'd have been fine.

Heating that area and letting it cool on its own aneals the temper out of the spring, and it is highly unlikely to break, especially if the coil settles over the lower one in the area it was heated (so it is not under tension).

Heating it where he did the second time (red arrow) was a really bone-headed move, and all bets are off on what would happen there.

Even if a spring breaks, it's not that big a deal safety wise. I had a front end and suspension shop w/ my dad for a VERY long time, and saw probably 100+ broken springs and torsion bars, and never did ONE cause a handling problem, much less an accident.

I am not saying heating is the BEST solution. I think the kid should leave his Benz alone. He sounds a bit immature, and doesn't seem to know what he really wants, to be honest.

That said, if he wants a lowered car at minimum cost without turning it into a buck-board ride, collapsing ONE coil of the factory springs (in the right place) is a no-cost way to do it. If he hates it, the most he's out is a set of used springs from a wrecking yard, or $55 from RockAuto.com.

I know this offends sensibilities as it somehow defeats fine German engineering (a concept I accept), but if I wanted my C320 lowered (which I do NOT), I'd probably go that way first myself, especially before going with Eibachs or H&R kidney busters on what is now nice riding and handling automobile.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive a Toyota Hybrid...
go HID, and don't go exhaust.. too loud u can't have any sweet takl in the car...
Old 09-20-2011, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobinyelm
I am not saying heating is the BEST solution. I think the kid should leave his Benz alone. He sounds a bit immature, and doesn't seem to know what he really wants, to be honest.
Were you any different at 18-19? When I was that age way back when, I was very wet behind the ears. Only now are they beginning to dry off.

Last edited by Rev 2 Liv; 09-20-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: cleaned up quote