C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

My "NEW" C180.!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180 W203
My "NEW" C180.!!!

Would like to show you my old Merc C180. 2003 and 71.000 miles.

IMAG0140.jpg
IMAG0145.jpg

Not what I expected buying a Merc, No pre warnings or sounds.
No4 piston started knocking, so took the engine out stripped it down and found the big end bearing worn and damaged the crankshaft journal, beyond Mercedes oversize bearings. So second-hand crank was sourced checked an polished and fitted with stock genuine bearings.
But 1500 miles before this a common problem, I've read cam chain stretched, no rattling or over adjusting the tensioner. 8 exhaust valves bent and replaced 8 inlet valves re-ground in. All the cylinder head re-done fortunately cam drive gear teeth all good, but did jump 3 on the exhaust and 2 on the inlet.
Now working OK, for how long ?
Now fitting a mechanical oil pressure gauge to try an monitor the main service part of the engine.
Because on this model there is no way of checking or monitoring the oil or pressure. No dipstick, no oil warning light on ignition. It only tells you, when parked on level ground, that you have enough, or add a litre.
But here's where I need information.
Can anyone tell me or recommend a fitting point to plumb in the oil pick-up pipe for the gauge.
IMAG0147.jpg
Attached Thumbnails My "NEW" C180.!!!-imag0140.jpg   My "NEW" C180.!!!-imag0145.jpg   My "NEW" C180.!!!-imag0147.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
Did you buy your car new?! If no, how long did you have it? Given that it sounds like you rebuilt the engine, I would assume you would take care of it properly.

I really do not like that cars rarely have oil pressure gauges (in my Lotus, I even put in an oil temperature gauge!). Instead, they put a big tach in a car with an automatic! Go figure! An oil pressure gauge might have clued you into the deteriorating main bearing.

I'm a little worried about the longevity of my M271 engine (actually I'm also worried about the longevity of my M272 too!). My main concern in my 271 is a stretched timing chain and the sintered sprockets worries me about the 272. These are not the worries a Mercedes Benz owner should have, it seems to me. The sprocket problem could have been a supplier issue so I may not be able to blame MB completely for that, but the timing chain problem is pretty shoddy engineering in my book. My 1973 MG Midget had a duplex timing chain and it was much shorter. Who would believe that British Leyland would get that right but Mercedes Benz not?

Getting back to your engine, I would hope that with everything fresh and keeping up with proper maintenance, it should last a lot longer than 71K miles (Mine's almost 75K... looking for some wood to knock!).

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180 W203
This is the first reply, thanks. Bought it second hand with no faults anyone could detect, noise or wear with 71000 miles. Yes, want to look after it properly, hence oil pressure gauge and quality synthetic oil, put Mobil 1 New life in, in first week Sept 2010.
I would recommend changing the chain and tensioner about 70k as mine proves, I believe its because they changed the previously fitted duplex chain to the single. Mine made no rattly noise,as most others warn, just a misfire as the cam timing was altered by the chain jumping teeth.
I have done a total rebuild, but need to fit a gauge. Yes, thought the same as yourself when buying a Mercedes.