C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

New Technical Topics from MB!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500
New Technical Topics from MB!

In response to some of the discussions regarding quailty and problem areas for MB, I felt everyone should know about the new insight coming from MB, specifically, their "The Star" magazine, the offcial Mercedes-Benz Club of America publication.

There are two updates.

First, a whole new website and the article that follows (pages scanned and offered to you here) labeled "Workshop Information System." (Or, "WIS.") This is for technical bulletins usually useful for mechanics. The article in The Star is called "Technical Topics."

And, "Technical Tips," a two page article for "hints for fixing late-model glitches." (These two pages will also be scanned and available herein.)

These are elements of MBUSA.

Most will find this entries both informative and inspiring.

Here is the website:

www.startekinfo.com

For those of you who already know about this, please pardon the reminder, as this may service all those unaware on the matter.

I will try to insert the scanned pages (sorry, don't have the time to retype all this) for you here. We'll see what happens.

This is the associated article from The Star magazine called "Technical Topics." (The "Technical Tips" pages will follow.)

UPDATE: The scanned pages are too large. I'll work on this and get this in here. (Unless other club members are willing to retype or scan to text with OCR and paste.)

Chris
Old 07-16-2003, 12:12 AM

05 E500
Let's try the other pages...

Now, let's see if I can get the "Technical Tips" pages in...
Attached Thumbnails New Technical Topics from MB!-mb-technical-tips.jpg  
Old 07-16-2003, 12:17 AM

05 E500
Enlargement

This may need enlargement on your own collective parts, but I have resized this again and here goes...
Attached Thumbnails New Technical Topics from MB!-mb-technical-tips.jpg  
Old 07-16-2003, 12:19 AM

05 E500
Next page

Next page...
Attached Thumbnails New Technical Topics from MB!-mb-technical-tips-2.jpg  
Old 07-16-2003, 12:23 AM

05 E500
Articles

Sorry these are not easily legible.

One can save these to disk and then enlargen them themselves, too.

Additionally, if someone wants the actual scanned page attachments which they can easily view from their onboard PC photo editor program, simply email me directly and I will attach anything you seek.

c2jones@bellsouth.net

Okay?

Sorry.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:49 AM
Banned

2003 C230 Coupe
Thanks for the effort, don't be sorry.

I would like to have them sent to me if you can Jones.

Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Thats right. Don't be sorry. You are doing a valuable service for us all. Thanx again.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:44 AM
Almost a Member!

Big Thanks Chris!!

Being a future C Class owner I really would like this information. I will email you.

Man, the on-line subscription to the "Star" is high! Does this mag come with a subscription to MB club of America? I thought it as $45.00 a year??
Old 07-16-2003, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
This site is for the professional MB mechanic, or more likely the service dept and service manager- not the customers.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:17 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by Outland
This site is for the professional MB mechanic, or more likely the service dept and service manager- not the customers.
Good point. You peeps might want to check out the tech forum here. This is what sph17 had to say about it in a posts after researching it; $20 is for a limited, 24 hours of access (one day of access). A one year subscription is $2,500. Do you suggest using the site whenever we have a problem we can't find answers to on the MBWorld site? To access the WIS now to see if any thing applies to our models just once? Once a month? Now scorchie had this to say; To make use of it, you subscribe. Since 24-hour access is $20, it's probably something that just about anyone on MBWorld can use. My take on this is what about making your list and not knowing you forgot something. $20 the next day.
c2jones
Thanx for the offer again. But I believe that your access might be through another party. It would be nice to have login and password or a contact for these type of issues.
No flame; just my $0.02.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did any of you know that if the State of California, all recall and TSB's are obtainable from the manufacturer/distributor by just calling them. Why pay when it's your right (if you live in CA). The manufacturers usually play dumb on this but if you site them the CA code they will usually comply.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:31 PM
Banned

Any effort here by someone trying to give us insight on fixes or tech topics is for sure appreciated. Too bad we have haters in this world that nothing will satisfy them.

Thanks C2jones
Old 07-16-2003, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by BenzOwner02
Any effort here by someone trying to give us insight on fixes or tech topics is for sure appreciated. Too bad we have haters in this world that nothing will satisfy them.

Thanks C2jones
Not exactly sure why you are saying this. My post was pointing out the reasons for the cost. Frankly its amazing that MB would even let you, the customer, access the page. And for that matter, it should be FREE to the dealer. Then maybe they wouldn't make some people come back 4 times just to resync a sunroof.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:50 PM
Banned

Outland, my comment was not towards you so don't take it personally. My comment was to basically say if there is a cost or not this guy was trying to help. I agree it should be free. Better yet our Benz's should be SO RELIABLE we would not need any tech help. something to think about
Old 07-17-2003, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Just to clear the air a bit... I am a MBUSA member and get the star. I read that article and the system they are offering for daily subscription (also has qurterly and annual for shops) is not a TSB only system. This is their full knowledgebase on the car itself. Wiring diagrams, break out pictures, part lists - EVERYTHING.

It's actually kind of cool of them to do this. After all, before this was up how would you get an exploded diagram of say the seat parts? Yep - with an m80 and a camera

So anyhow, nice job MB, thanks to the thread starter for sharing. Hopefully this clears it up a tad.

BTW: I think that if MB wanted to really rub the club right, they'd give access to members for free.

One more thing, the system was originally supposed to be multi-tiered, that is MB factory tech gets 10 and down, third party shop 9 and down and users 5 and down.. MB said, screw that and made it wide open.

Peet
Old 07-17-2003, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by peet
This is their full knowledgebase on the car itself. Wiring diagrams, break out pictures, part lists - EVERYTHING.
If this is the WIS, then yes, it is just about everything. This is what the mechanics at your dealer use when they don't know what they are doing. You might think they are the experts, but there are many things they don't know how to do, especially when a new model comes out. They use the WIS to print out instructions on how to fix just about anything.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:42 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by Matt230K
If this is the WIS, then yes, it is just about everything. This is what the mechanics at your dealer use when they don't know what they are doing. You might think they are the experts, but there are many things they don't know how to do, especially when a new model comes out. They use the WIS to print out instructions on how to fix just about anything.
Matt,
Would this WIS by chance have a listing for the *dyno mode* that all of us MY 03 user are able to use like the MY 02 users are?
Old 07-17-2003, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by amdeutsch
Matt,
Would this WIS by chance have a listing for the *dyno mode* that all of us MY 03 user are able to use like the MY 02 users are?
Damn, you're always putting me to work aren't you?? I don't know if it's in there or not, but I suppose I could try to find out. The only hard part is trying to get a mechanic to take the time and search through it with me. They like to keep working, because that's the only way they make money. But we'll see.

edit.... Can I just delete my post and you forget that I even said that??
Old 07-17-2003, 09:54 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by Matt230K
Damn, you're always putting me to work aren't you?? I don't know if it's in there or not, but I suppose I could try to find out. The only hard part is trying to get a mechanic to take the time and search through it with me. They like to keep working, because that's the only way they make money. But we'll see.

edit.... Can I just delete my post and you forget that I even said that??

You crack me up Matt. Guess you'll have to instead of just driving around in MBs all day long making sure the sales monkey can't find them. (j/k) And you'll be doing all of us that favor.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by amdeutsch
Guess you'll have to instead of just driving around in MBs all day long making sure the sales monkey can't find them.
Did I admit to that?? I was hiding the '04 C-classes from them last week, because they need to sell the '03's first.