MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W203) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203-3/)
-   -   STUCK IN PARK, BAS/ESP, BRAKE LIGHT GO TO WORKSHOP (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/515552-stuck-park-bas-esp-brake-light-go-workshop.html)

bobby.gina 10-02-2013 06:35 PM

STUCK IN PARK, BAS/ESP, BRAKE LIGHT GO TO WORKSHOP

desperate need of some help please! Ok, i have a 2004 c320 4 matic. started out that the wipers and washer stopped working. so i assumed that a fuse was blown. i checked all the fuses in all three boxes trunk, under hood, driverside dash, all were good? i did pull all fuses out one at a time to check them. When i started the car back up i had a BAS/ESP light on dash and worse part the car is stuck in park? Also the brake light go to workshop code is there to and no interior lights? Im in a small town about 2 hrs from dealer? I have read nearly every thread on here concerning this problem and it all sounds like a brake light switch is the problem? So first of all there is nothing under my dash that looks like the switch shown on here. I also have been to parts house here and they list the same switch shown in these threads for the c320 but not the 4 matic? Is this different on my car and if so does anyone have any ideas? Im also assuming that the brake switch is not telling the shifter that the brake is pressed so it want let it go into gear? The brake lights do come on when the brake is pressed?
Thanks
Bobby

bobby.gina 10-02-2013 06:46 PM

also i forgot to mention that the ABS light is on too

Carsy 10-02-2013 08:01 PM

How old is your battery?. These cars are very susceptible to the type of errors you mention which are caused by a battery in poor condition. I would suggest to check the voltages with engine running & stopped & have a battery load test .

Good luck,

VVF 10-02-2013 10:20 PM

Maybe something happened to SAM when you were pulling those fuses?
I would check the battery as Carsy said, and try to reset the ABS etc errors with STAR...

bobby.gina 10-02-2013 10:39 PM

Ok thanks,, hate to ask this but is star something that only a dealer has...I believe the battery is the original one,,, it could be a voltage issue but it has never failed to start or been sluggish,,,

And is this common for the shifter to be stuck in park...
Thank you for your replys

SunnyRayToronto 10-03-2013 01:14 AM

Yes,... DAS Star is something only a Stealership would have,... clone STAR are available.

Car battery should be changed every 5 years.

When you checked and pulled fuses,.... was the key in ignition,....

Moviela 10-03-2013 04:32 AM

Depending on your VIN you might not have a brake switch...My car has cables to the shifter and the steering wheel lock. Maladjusted some things might not work.

You need to look at the shifter department to make sure there are no coins, debris, spilled beverages or the like that could be mucking up the works.

Failing a busted mechanical cable, or a soda soaked assembly (soak in alcohol to dissolve sugar) you are looking at an expensive VIN specific module. (Roughly a grand, they are all a grand for $40 worth of bits.)

Get a subscription to EPC, for free, and use your VIN to see how the brake pedal is connected to the module. You should probably be using Pelican Parts. They ship quick and have decent prices.

Good luck.

bobby.gina 10-03-2013 10:34 AM

Thank you everyone,,, still checking on these suggestions,,, honestly don't remember I'd the key was in or out,,,i believe out though,,,i had just drove out probably less than 30mins before i pulled the fuses? I have removed the trim ring on the shifter and everything there appears clean and normal? Please keep the suggestions coming,,,, I've seen where you can take a hammer and break the lock in the shifter to get it in gear but i hate to do that

bobby.gina 10-03-2013 10:35 AM

Like i said,, I've have about a two hr tow, just to get to "star"

Carsy 10-03-2013 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by bobby.gina (Post 5798790)
Please keep the suggestions coming,,,, I've seen where you can take a hammer and break the lock in the shifter to get it in gear but i hate to do that

On my W204 I can remove the vinyl cover around the shifter & press a yellow switch at the rear to manually free it.Take a look in your hand book.

I would check your battery first . Its ancient.

JC

bobby.gina 10-03-2013 07:43 PM

Thank you,, I will look that

khellriegel 04-28-2014 05:23 PM

Hi-

Can you give us an update of what happened with your car?

LILBENZ230 04-28-2014 05:48 PM

Given that his was an 04 it was likely a brake switch. That is a typical culprit. Post 2005 W203s did not have brake switches.

sambal 12-12-2015 11:28 AM

s430 year 2000

I have the very same problem on my s430 2000...
checked all 3 boxes of fuses...
changed the break switch too...
the problem still exist, moreover, I can't drive it to the dealer which is about 50 miles away..
Please any help.
Sam

samaritrey 12-14-2015 09:05 PM

Post in the s class section as they may have a better idea of common issues with your car.

SeaCoupe 12-21-2015 02:54 PM

My 2002 C230 Coupe had this issue. The trans was stuck in Park. I disassembled the entire shifting console, no debris, nothing. I took out the Shifter and lo and behold without power being attached, it started shifting. I put another 100,000 miles on the car without ever having it happen again.

sambal 12-23-2015 12:18 PM

More explanation...

Originally Posted by SeaCoupe (Post 6650972)
My 2002 C230 Coupe had this issue. The trans was stuck in Park. I disassembled the entire shifting console, no debris, nothing. I took out the Shifter and lo and behold without power being attached, it started shifting. I put another 100,000 miles on the car without ever having it happen again.

what is "lo"?
was your ABS lighting?
you just took the shifter off then reassembled it?
thanks

TedSay 07-02-2018 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by bobby.gina (Post 5798228)
desperate need of some help please! Ok, i have a 2004 c320 4 matic. started out that the wipers and washer stopped working. so i assumed that a fuse was blown. i checked all the fuses in all three boxes trunk, under hood, driverside dash, all were good? i did pull all fuses out one at a time to check them. When i started the car back up i had a BAS/ESP light on dash and worse part the car is stuck in park? Also the brake light go to workshop code is there to and no interior lights? Im in a small town about 2 hrs from dealer? I have read nearly every thread on here concerning this problem and it all sounds like a brake light switch is the problem? So first of all there is nothing under my dash that looks like the switch shown on here. I also have been to parts house here and they list the same switch shown in these threads for the c320 but not the 4 matic? Is this different on my car and if so does anyone have any ideas? Im also assuming that the brake switch is not telling the shifter that the brake is pressed so it want let it go into gear? The brake lights do come on when the brake is pressed?
Thanks
Bobby

Having same problem with a 2004 C320 RWD and it doesn't have the switch either. How did you end up fixing it or does someone have any idea what it could be?

Steven Manyasi 11-24-2019 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by TedSay (Post 7492954)
Having same problem with a 2004 C320 RWD and it doesn't have the switch either. How did you end up fixing it or does someone have any idea what it could be?

did you get a solution to your issue? I'm curious since I have the same trouble.