C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

My new baby!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 c250
My new baby!

She's 8 years old (2005), 80,000 miles, and I just found the sport switch today! Man, the guy who sold it to me didn't even know...

My new baby!-elvd7kb.jpg

So, it's got about 20 little nicks spread all around the car, all only a couple milimeters big, but all those white dots are starting to annoy me. I got an estimate of $200 from a body shop in LA, he said he could get them 90%. I dunno... It would be worse if it looks off right? As of now, they're just little white specks which are where the paint used to be, and I don't know if I should leave 'em or what?

Advice? And any recommendations for LA body shops? Collission consultants has good reviews on yelp.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C240 4matic, 2009 C300 4Matic
Clean! the body shop will probably just touch up each little speck. If it isn't bad i would paint match them and do it on my own. welcome!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
Welcome! She looks like a nice ride!

There are two things I'd warn you of.

First, the alternator pulley has a clutch type arrangement that can go out. I sounds like a loose belt or tires "scrunching" on a rubber garage floor. When that happens - or shortly after - it takes your A/C compressor out. A friend has what sounds like an occasional 'chirp' coming from his alternator pulley, but it's hard to tell. He's took his car to his indy and will let me know what he says. If it is the pulley, that would be the only advance warning I know about.

Second, the timing chain can stretch. You'll hear a scraping rattle when you start it up in the morning. Don't play around with that. Get it taken care of ASAP because it's neither a pretty nor a cheap thing if a cam jumps time.

Regularly change your ATF with approved fluid, and keep a good maintenance regime.

Don't be a stranger!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC (current) 2006 C280 Elegance 4MATIC (sold)
Congrats. The paint is quite "soft" on these cars. I notice a new nick everytime I wash it so touching it up wouldn't be a bad idea although get ready to see a lot more. As ncmudbug said above familiarize yourself with the car and the maintenance requirements and follow them religiously and your car will run great for a long time. The Kompressor motors are nice but they do have their quirks to them but once those items are sorted it will stay running nicely.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:15 PM

2013 c250
Originally Posted by ncmudbug

First, the alternator pulley has a clutch type arrangement that can go out. I sounds like a loose belt or tires "scrunching" on a rubber garage floor. When that happens - or shortly after - it takes your A/C compressor out. A friend has what sounds like an occasional 'chirp' coming from his alternator pulley, but it's hard to tell. He's took his car to his indy and will let me know what he says. If it is the pulley, that would be the only advance warning I know about.

Whoa! Thx for the heads up. I already read up on the timing chain, but didn't know about the alternator pulley. From now on, I'm gonna have one of my roommates start the car so I can put my ear up to the hood. No, but really, thx. I'll do a little research on it, and please keep me posted on the chirping.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:18 PM

2013 c250
Originally Posted by Khan28
As ncmudbug said above familiarize yourself with the car and the maintenance requirements and follow them religiously and your car will run great for a long time.
It's funny, I always took no consideration when it came to the body, but always wanted a dealership to take care of the engine. Now, it's reverse b/c, to me, fixing the body is more art whereas the engine is more science. And I'm more autistic than artistic.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
Originally Posted by scottonfire
Whoa! Thx for the heads up. I already read up on the timing chain, but didn't know about the alternator pulley. From now on, I'm gonna have one of my roommates start the car so I can put my ear up to the hood. No, but really, thx. I'll do a little research on it, and please keep me posted on the chirping.
I didn't want to scare you when you just got your car but I figured for warned is fore armed. If my friend comes back and says that his alternator pulley is suspect, I'll post it here so you can watch out for it. If you do a search on "alternator pulley" or "sprag bearing" or "alternator pulley" you'll get some information about it. There's a nice video about it here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...es-issues.html. There's more about it here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ey-seized.html.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new ride! Looks super clean, and I'm sure the little chips are minor, I'd try using some touch up on them yourself and see how that looks! A cheaper/easier fix than body work and paint for now!
Old 11-20-2013, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
2005 w203 C230
Get OEM touch up paint. It is made to fill/flow and finish (simulate clear) ((FWIW PPG 3 part is a NON clear coat paint)) - it is NOT a sprayable type paint.

First strip the area, dish soap, alcohol and/or Prepsol.

Once you have "globbed" a bit more on that the paint/clear coat surface...wet sand it (NOT THE WHOLE AREA) down with 1000 working up to 2000 if you want a DuoPont OEM Finish / but you are trying to match THIS CAR'S FINISH, so you WANT some orange peel in it, as MOST w203s have slight orange peel. Then buff/wax the area.

You, and 00.03% of people will ever know you were there.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:58 PM

2013 c250
Originally Posted by BF_JC230
Get OEM touch up paint. It is made to fill/flow and finish (simulate clear) ((FWIW PPG 3 part is a NON clear coat paint)) - it is NOT a sprayable type paint.
Whoa! Thanks for that information. Awesome! Now I'm confused though. I was told the factory paint on my car (Granite Grey 2005 C230) was sprayed on. So why would the touch up paint not be made to spray? I was thinking of using an air brush to apply the OEM touch up paint. What would happen if I did?

Note: What I'm repairing is like 30 rock chips, little nicks in the car just milimeters in diameter.

Last edited by scottonfire; 11-20-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC (current) 2006 C280 Elegance 4MATIC (sold)
Spray wouldn't fill the nick. A touch up pen that allows the paint to flow will help make everything look even again whereas the depth of the nick would still show if you used a spray.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The OEM touch-up paint is good but I can't help but wind up with a lumpy surface and it looks "touched up."

I tried this Dr. Color Chip stuff and it is the real deal. For chips it satisfied me completely. It does not work on scratches, but for the stone chips it is close to perfection. You need to know your paint code. They make it to order, and the match is exact. It fills in the divot level with the rest of the paint. It washes and waxes just like the original paint. I have tried many other touch up systems, and they all fell down at the knees in my hands. This one worked for me.

http://www.drcolorchip.com/
Old 11-21-2013, 04:39 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Welcome and nice C230!

I second Dr.Colorchip for small chips plus they're mobile. Call them at 949-463-7690

Have fun with your new rig!
Mark/Pelican Parts
Old 11-21-2013, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by scottonfire
She's 8 years old (2005), 80,000 miles, and I just found the sport switch today! Man, the guy who sold it to me didn't even know...

So, it's got about 20 little nicks spread all around the car, all only a couple milimeters big, but all those white dots are starting to annoy me. I got an estimate of $200 from a body shop in LA, he said he could get them 90%. I dunno... It would be worse if it looks off right? As of now, they're just little white specks which are where the paint used to be, and I don't know if I should leave 'em or what?

Advice? And any recommendations for LA body shops? Collission consultants has good reviews on yelp.

Clean W203. I have the same color combo. You will love it as it is easy to take care of.