C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

my C230K has been in the shop for over 1 week

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
my C230K has been in the shop for over 1 week

I brought it in last Monday when the SRS warning light came and stays on all the time the Wednesday before.

So I might as well have them fix/take a look at all the others problems.

1) SRS light stays on (computer: visit shop)
2) oil consumption (computer: add 1 qt) @ 2500 miles
3) minor roof rattles when go over uneven pavement
4) steering pull to the right (the E320 loaner doesn't pull to the right nor left)
5) passenger side door closes deeper and higher in the body, creating an uneven surface from the door to the rear fender panel. Thus paint chips is showing up on the lower edge right next to the door/panel seam.
6) a small chip inside the rear light plastic cover (probably there all along) didn't notice until later.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:50 PM

C230K
Here are the problems I've had with my C230K, for your reference.

Roof rattle - fixed by MB, they said it was actually in the "B-Pillar" on the driver's side.

* Fuel pump intermittent failure
* Trunk SAM (electronic module) failure
* Chip in the tail light, it's on both sides - think it's normal
* Passenger door doesn't close in line
* Driver's door wind noise - really bad, going back for 3rd time. I think that the MB techs are deaf.
*Driver's door gasket torn. Replacing it didn't fix the wind noise.
*Auto dim far more pronounced on interior rear-view mirror than exterior mirror. MB says normal, but the C320 loaner was the same for both mirrors.
* Creaking from rear suspension.
* Windows sometimes won't auto close especially when it's cold. They "bounce" back when they reach they fully closed position.

Design Flaws:
* Drumming when sunroof is opened > 75% (BTW, what is the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof?)
* MFD on speedo says audio is off when you switch off the ignition and then manually switch off the radio before you open the door, and then start the car again, even though the audio is on.
* Passenger headrest fouls the roof lining when you tilt the seat back forward when it is jacked to a high position.
* Switching on the interior dome light at night causes the auto-dim to almost black the mirror out completely.
* You can't select recirculate on the A/C and expect it to stay there.
* You can quite easily break the front cup-holder off if you tilt the passenger seat forward while it is deployed.
* Rain sensor will only select up to the first speed of the wipers.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by raymond
(BTW, what is the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof?)
ok, this is my take on this... and i don't know if there really is a technically correct answer.

a moonroof is glass - transparent. a sunroof is opaque. my old firebird had a sunroof that was made of the same stuff as the rest of the roof except that i could open it.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:54 PM

C230K
Thanks Young.

I suspected this was the case, where I come from they're both called sunroofs.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Here's a way to think about it: If a sunroof is open, it lets the sun in when it's warm out. A moonroof will let the moonlight in when the roof itself is closed by sliding the panel that lies underneath the glass back when it's cold out at night. Romantic, ain't it?
Old 03-19-2002, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade. Enjoy that E320, take a long trip, puts some real miles on their loaner. I enjoy it when my car breaks down. I put their loaner through it's paces. Here's a good trick I learned to do with a loaner. This stunt will spin the car around on it's axis and get your from reverse to forward in a split second. It's a cool stunt that's sure to impress your friends. First find a large paved parking lot with no nearby obstructions to practice in. Turn off the ESP. Put your left hand at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel, drive in reverse at about 25 mph and quickly move the steering wheel so your hand is at 6 o'clock and while the car is spinning around throw the transmission in forward using your right hand and quicly move the steering wheel back to it's original position. Practice this so when you need to make a quick getaway or just show off to your friends you'll be ready. My 16 year daughter does these beatifully but it's hard on the tires so we use loaners.

You could do the lemon law thing but it's stressful an not as much fun. I think they Disney named the E-Ticket rides after the E-class.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:08 AM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed

* Passenger headrest fouls the roof lining when you tilt the seat back forward when it is jacked to a high position.
On the driver side, the headrest slides back down to the lowest position when the seat is pull forward. Never tried with the passenger side, I just assume it will do the same.

When the service person told me it should be done in 2-3 days, I had my doubts. He is nice to call me every other day to give me an update and admit that it was a larger problem than he thought.

Laguna Niguel loaner is limited to 50 miles per day, I have read it somewhere in the loaner car office.

Old 03-19-2002, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Geezzz guys, do I need to state the obvious, the different between a sunroof and a moonroof is marketing.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
marketing hyperbole

So, please explain what an opera window is? Who watches an opera from the back seat of a car, or performs one in a car? EXCEPT Meatloaf

Or, what is Corinthian leather? I've been to Cortinth (GR) a couple of times, not THAT many cows live there - in fact it's a rather small place

I like the glass=moonroof explanation - I think that the hype-meisters at Ford coined the term for the Lincoln Mark IV (circa 1972).
Old 03-19-2002, 06:39 AM

Abuse of Loaners/Rentals

Those cars do belong to someone and ultimately will be bought by another "regular guy". I never will understand why people are perfectly willing to do things to these cars that they would never contemplate doing with their own. It shows a complete lack of respect and concern to others.

JR
Old 03-19-2002, 07:29 AM

2007 BMW 328xi sedan
I totally agree and second your emotion jnjrowland!!! Consider this; the loaner will need repairs directly due to this abuse. Ultimately, we ALL pay for this as customers, since this is a cost of doing business that gets passed on to the consumer. So please think about that the next time you get the urge to "Do Donuts" or whatever other teenaged parking lot recreational activites you so enjoy.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:37 AM

Are MB dealers supposed to give only MB cars as loaners? My coupe was in the shop overnight last week for an audio problem and I got a Mazda 626 as a loaner. Not nearly as fun.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:59 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Auto dim far more pronounced on interior rear-view mirror than exterior mirror. MB says normal, but the C320 loaner was the same for both mirrors.
That's interesting you mention this. I've made the same observation in my C320. My car is in the shop now, and I've asked them to look into this. Let's see what they do. But I will not hesitate to tell them that your loaner C320 had equal dimming at both mirrors.

Cullen, I'm driving a Chevy Malibu loaner this week. The fine print in the MB brochure mentions that dealer participation in the "loaner" program is optional. Many dealers offer MB loaners if you bought your MB at that dealership, but other makes of loaners if you bought your MB at another dealer. Some don't offer loaners at all for those who buy elsewhere (they offer renters instead).
Old 03-19-2002, 10:33 AM

03 W8 Passat Variant
Re: Abuse of Loaners/Rentals

Originally posted by jnjrowland
Those cars do belong to someone and ultimately will be bought by another "regular guy". I never will understand why people are perfectly willing to do things to these cars that they would never contemplate doing with their own. It shows a complete lack of respect and concern to others.

JR
OH WELL Civil Disobedience at it's best

Have you people no fun in your lives, the car mag people do this all the time. Everyone knows not to buy a previous loaner or rental.

Last edited by benzomonterey; 03-19-2002 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where else are you going to learn advanced driving techniques if not on a loaner. These advanced driving techniques may save your life one day. I don't think they necessary damage the car. They just wear the tires a little quicker. As for those that buy loaner and rental cars, all I can say is, FOOLS!
Old 03-19-2002, 10:47 AM

03 W8 Passat Variant
Check this out

Across the dunes in a rental car
Old 03-19-2002, 10:53 AM

Awaiting a new arrival...
Thumbs down

Here is my take on this...and it isn't pretty. In fact, it infuriates me, to be honest.

I rent more than 200 days a year through Hertz while on business and have my share of Ford Escapes, Tauruses, Jaguars and Maxima SEs and there is a HUGE difference between driving aggressively/having fun while driving and abusing a rental or loaner vehicle. I drive any vehicle I am in aggressively, through the twisties, on the straights and really learn to enjoy what each manufacturer builds into a vehicle. It is the same thing I do when I borrow a friend's new car or get a loaner at the dealership. It is enthusiastic driving. Abuse, no, as I treat the vehicle in a similar manner to how I treat my own. Do I slam it in the gears? No. Do I drive it backwards and throw it in first to impress my coworkers? No.

I can't imagine how thrashing a car backwards at 25mph and whipping the wheel around while shifting to drive is your idea of something other than abuse. Explain that to me. Please, I really want to know how your idea of fun does not constitue abuse. Trashing someone else's vehicle for your fun ultimately costs every one of us that use loaner cars through service departments. What happens when something breaks? Is it your fault or the lousy dealer that gave you a car that couldn't stand the abuse? And you'd be forthright with explaining to them that you use their vehicles in this matter, correct? I am sure they would approve, as, where else are you supposed to learn aggressive driving behavior, but in someone else's car.

I'll look forward to reading a future post from you as to why you can't understand you are being billed for damage to a rental when the tranny exploded or a tire blew and you nailed a light pole, or worse yet, strike someone else or their vehicle. Your complete lack of respect for your dealer and THEIR property is simply amazing. I wish you a lot of luck with this type of attitude towards others and their property.

To me, it just makes me shake my head and wonder why...

Last edited by slcvr6; 03-19-2002 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by benzomonterey
Check this out

Across the dunes in a rental car
Cool story!! That guy sure has some big ones!!
Old 03-19-2002, 11:10 AM

C230K
Loaners

The dealership I use has Camrys and Mercs. They are apparently phasing out the Camrys, and having all Mercs.

Since my car spends so much time at the "hospital", I think they feel sorry for me so I get a Merc loaner. Once they even brought me an ML320 on a flatbed and collected my car at my home, as they had failed to fix the wind noise problem for the second time.

In Texas, 50 miles a day is a waste of time, we get 100 miles a day and that's sometimes only just enough.

BTW, my favorite loaner was the C320 Wagon - a great car and fun to drive. THe ML30 felt and drove like a Jeep, which is probably what it is, I guess.

I would be checking myself into a clinic if I thought the Camry was my favorite loaner...
Old 03-19-2002, 11:20 AM

Awaiting a new arrival...
Sounds like Park Place...

I like their policy - buy the car there, get a benz loaner every time. Buy the car somewhere else, but service it there, get the Camry. It's still a loaner, which is more than some other dealers are doing.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:28 AM

slcvr6

The way I see it slcvr6 said it best. If you would not drive your car or the car of someone "close" to you in the manner you describe what makes it OK to do it to someone else's? Even worse are the people who think it's COOL to do this, what a juvenile attitude.

I would expect that this behavior carries over to other items like summer rentals. Oh no, I forgot they have your security money and you would actually be liable for the damages you inflict.

JR
Old 03-19-2002, 11:30 AM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
i am torn here....

loaner cars from the dealership i treat with as much respect as my own car. Yes i drive them hard, but no i dont beat them up. My dealership has E,C,M, and SLK loaners, so i treat them like the nice cars they are, and am thankful that the dealership extends this luxury to its customers.

rental cars are a whole different story. I pay for it, i pay for the extra insurance, and i greatly enjoy having a wild ride with em. I have never damaged one, so all the extra insurance i have bought has gone straight to enteprises pocket, but hey, if your gonna take a ford focus airborn, a couple of bucks extra a day isnt a bad idea

that guy and the sand dunes.... that guy has some big *****.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:31 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Re: Re: Abuse of Loaners/Rentals

Originally posted by benzomonterey
Have you people no fun in your lives, the car mag people do this all the time. Everyone knows not to buy a previous loaner or rental.
...Or a DEMO, too? You guys are so careful during the 1,000 mile "break-in period," but I've noticed all the demos I've driven at the dealers had less than 1,000 miles, too. And prospective buyers just have to step in it to see what the car will do. There goes the prohibition against full-throttle acceleration during break-in.

Geez, Buellwinkle, you're really taking it in the shorts over this loaner abuse thing. Any comments, or are you just gonna stand there hopping from foot to foot?
Old 03-19-2002, 11:32 AM

03 W8 Passat Variant
In this world we have the sheep and we have the herders. This turned into a humerous thread, it shouldn't become another bashing. For those that shake their head in disgust I appologize. I would like to also appologize for that Lincoln LS rental last year and that um XJ6 and um.......................

Oh well I have my light weight summer tropicals packed for when I die

Old 03-19-2002, 11:36 AM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
Re: Re: Re: Abuse of Loaners/Rentals

Originally posted by MB-BOB

...Or a DEMO, too? You guys are so careful during the 1,000 mile "break-in period," but I've noticed all the demos I've driven at the dealers had less than 1,000 miles, too. And prospective buyers just have to step in it to see what the car will do. There goes the prohibition against full-throttle acceleration during break-in.
Demos are kinda there to beat on. you really need to see what the car is capable of before you buy it, even though it goes against "break in" rules. But a person buying the demo takes that extra risk, in exchange for getting a slightly used, possibly beat on car.

then again, full throttle acceleration on a demo, and pulling donuts on a rental are two different things. I dont think anyone is pulling off donuts and other defensive driving techniques during their test drive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: my C230K has been in the shop for over 1 week