C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203 c230 2001 Wiper will not stop in 0 position

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 C320
W203 c230 2001 Wiper will not stop in 0 position

My car has now been parked at the service center for 2 days without much hope of getting this simple thing fixed.

As I understand there is no rain sensor on the car, because the intermittent function always worked and there is no auto function for the wipers?

Problem:

After being activated with wiper combination switch and then turned off with the same switch in 0 position wipers will NOT stop.

In intermittent position wipers stop a little above the usual stopping height, other than that work as intended. In position 2 and 3 wipers work as intended.

With the wiper combination switch in 0 position the wipers will only stop in these cases:

A) Some force is applied down on the wipers when they come close to the stopping position and try to come back up.

B) Passenger or Driver door is opened. This puts the wiper in parked position.

C) If ignition is put to 0 position.

C1) After performing C, and if the wipers did not stop in the parked/base position they will again start working when the ignition lock is turned on even if wiper comb switch is in 0.

Let me note, that once the wipers were in 1 way or another stopped in the base position, they do not go rogue unless activated. So they are not always ON. They first need to be activated to remain always on.

The following measures were taken without any result:

1) Wiper motor was replaced and the new one behaved the same. (was tested without the blade mechanism attached). So it was decided it is not the rotor.

2) Front SAM unit was replaced (same result).
3) Rear SAM unit was replaced (same result).

4) Service did not bother with the combination switch because:
When they activated the wiper motor from Xentry diagnostics software and then deactivated it from there, it would still not stop the motor. But who knows? I will need a comment about this.

5) One new yellow wiper relay was put in the front sam and then swapped places with the old one. Made no difference.

What the hell could be going on? I heard there is also some kind of "collar spring" or "clock spring" in the steering wheel which someone blamed on the internet for this kind of problem. But again without touching the comb switch when wipers are activated from XENTRY and Deactivated from XENTRY they don't stop too.... Could this still be a problem with the combination switch and or this mystery "clock spring" part in the steering wheel?
The following users liked this post:
tommy320 (09-04-2017)
Old 06-09-2015, 12:55 PM

W203 C320
I was thinking maybe it necessary to completely disassemble the steering wheel side of the wiper circuitry which includes removing that "spring" thing in the wheel, and only then test the activation and deactivation from XENTRY? Could that be a more relevant test or would it make no sense to do that?
tommy320 (09-04-2017)
Old 06-18-2015, 04:49 AM

W203 C320
Was a problem with Front SAM, they didn't correctly test it the first time. Used working SAM now in place for 50USD
tommy320 (09-04-2017)
Old 06-18-2015, 12:45 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,055 Likes on 976 Posts
1999 E300TD
Here is just another case of not going to a shop with factory(DAS Xentry) or equal diagnostic software to quickly and correctly diagnose the problem---wada shame!!