C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Timing chain M271

Old 12-07-2017, 10:18 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
Hi,
Can this cam chain job be done with out removing the tensioner, I would like to split the chain and wind in new one without disturbing the tensioner.
Thanks in advance
Dave
Old 12-10-2017, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
It can be done but not the best way to do the job. Alternator off and tensioner out is easy enough.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:12 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
Thank you Russell for your advice
Old 04-28-2018, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203 C180, W204 C200
Hi there, if replacing guides, chain, tensioner and if needed the adjustable cam gears is the special tool required to clamp the camshafts in postion??
such as this one pitured here :-
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mercedes...MAAOSw9NdXqL8Y

cheers Andrew
Old 04-28-2018, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
Tools make is easier but not a must
Old 02-22-2019, 03:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
2012 C250
Originally Posted by RedGray
I've attached a number of files. They describe how to do the timing chain and replace the cylinder head. There are likely some duplicates.

Fwiw, imho, just replacing the head gasket on an M271 does little. Imho, the big problem is that oil cakes up on the valve faces and seats, and the valves and seats need to be fixed.
So, imho, you need to have the head rebuilt, or you need to get a new head.
Killer resource Red. HUGE thanks for this point. This is how you make an effective and helpful post. If the gods ever find us in the same place at the same time I'm buying you some beers!!!!
Old 03-27-2020, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 c230k
Tension

So I did mine and lined up everything perfectly rotated balancer and checked twice and both cams were off a tooth, realigned and checked twice it was perfect. Start car, no good, remove cover and check again. Both cams are now off a tooth the opposite direction. Meaning they were right the first time. What’s the best approach to realign them? I took of the exhaust sprocket and can’t get it back on because of tension. Take out the tensioner? Pry it? Or pull on the chain? I see you in almost every post I’ve read lol

Originally Posted by RedGray
I'm far from being a scaredy cat.
It's called being an experienced Principal engineer.
Aerospace engineering is different than structural or materials engineer.
As you know, the number of engineering specialties makes the number of medical specialties look like T-ball (For the non Americans: "baseball" for 4 years olds where the kids hit the ball from a rubber-T holding pole).

My main specialty isn't structural. But, I work with a number of PhDs that do have that as their main specialty, and also are gear-heads. I also remember, and I'm still learning, about real-life structural design.
Plus, I've been working on cars long enough to know the difference between "this hack works for now" and "this is the correct way to do things".
Fwiw, I'm a tri-degree engineer -- mechanical & electrical & computer. Still, I've done a wide range of stuff - from specifying custom springs (similar to a car spring), to PWM electronics, to software. There are many products that require that type of breadth of knowledge and experience. Working on an ABS system is one of the most commonly known automotive product. Printers are one of the most commonly known general products.

Fwiw, for example, the method for screwing down the head on a M271 is very specific. A specific pattern in 3 steps - Torque to x-Nm, 90 degrees, then again 90 degrees.

If someone just cranks the head bolt down once, or uses an old head bolt !WTF! - ARG!! , the head and gasket will likely last some amount of time.
But, the engineers that specified the torque to yield bolts and the pattern didn't do it because they were bored. Just look at the JOKE "reliability" of the GM aluminum heads for all of their engines until that POS mismanaged company went under. GM was infamous for doing low-cost cheap aluminum head design (the heads, the bolts, the block holes, the torquing method, etc).
Yet, many people replaced head gaskets, the engine ran for 1-3-whatever years, and they claimed victory and the reason for the re-failure being the design. My Olds Quad 4 (super infamous for mega POS heads) has 12+ years on the head gasket that I redid.

I have 2 cars over 25 years old. My "new to me" 2005 C230K will eventually join my 25+ year old club. That's why I JUMPED on my car when I saw it. It was never driven in the snow. The body/etc is on very good shape.
The engine had an rare occasional cylinder misfire. BFD about the misfire. That's "easy" to fix ( for me , just not cheap or quick).

Where as, a rusted frame, bad body, worn interior, etc would be for me very expensive and cost/time prohibitive.
For a body-work person, they would likely look at buying/fixing a used car the opposite of how I do.

I do things as specified by the manufacture's design engineers and by the ASE (http://www.ase.com/). I have a few friends that are ASE certified mechanics.

If people want to do things by "what they think makes sense", that's their choice. No dealer would hire them or allow that type of work. That alone should say something.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:39 PM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
2005 C230K Sport Coupe
Originally Posted by jaGTAR KAHLON
So I did mine and lined up everything perfectly rotated balancer and checked twice and both cams were off a tooth, realigned and checked twice it was perfect. Start car, no good, remove cover and check again. Both cams are now off a tooth the opposite direction. Meaning they were right the first time. What’s the best approach to realign them? I took of the exhaust sprocket and can’t get it back on because of tension. Take out the tensioner? Pry it? Or pull on the chain? I see you in almost every post I’ve read lol
I used to have more free time. I've been busy for the past ~year+.

I posted the MB service documents here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...hain-m271.html

A *many year experienced full-time mechanic*, might be able to pry the adjuster back with a pry bar.
Imho, if anyone else tries, they'll damage the adjuster. The adjuster might work for a while, or it may fail in xx miles, or xx years.

So, you need to get a new chain (an IWIS chain is likely fine), take off the alternator, remove the adjuster, cut the chain, align the cams (the make plastic M271 cam holders that are ?$30??), put on the new chain, use the proper master-link tool, and use a low-torque torque wrench.

Good Luck!