C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Web site for lemon cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alabaster White C230K Grey Int. and 2003 C32 pewter/charcoal gray
Web site for lemon cars?

I know someone posted a site to submit a complain regarding major repairs on new cars. I cant remeber the site it was I think a government site, and the site can instruct recalls for the vehicles...
I dont know...but if ever please let me know I have some complains to make regarding the new land rover freelander...thanks so much for the help.

thank you
Old 04-04-2002, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
c230_2k2,

I don't think there is a web site for complaints but if you need info on the lemon law in the Golden state, just let me know -- unfortunately, I'm a pro. I have a great lawyer down in San Diego too.

Beth
Old 04-05-2002, 01:18 AM

Alabaster White C230K Grey Int. and 2003 C32 pewter/charcoal gray
thanks...i m just preparing my self cause i dont think land rover is going to deal with this problem appropriately....but i will let you know...thank you again
Old 04-05-2002, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't need a lawyer in CA, the manufacturer has to provide a lemon law arbitrator. Some of the smaller companies use the Better Business Bereau. All it takes is calling the customer service number in the owners manual, asking them who their CA lemon law arbitrator is and how to contact them. Call them arbitrator and they'll send you the forms, fill them out, send them in and you have started the process. In a few months they setup a hearing. My hearing was very informal gathering of myself, the arbitrator, the manufacturer regional rep and I told my side, the rep told his side, the arbitrator asked some questions, looked at the evidence, took a quick test drive, sent an independent mechanic to my house to look at the car and then awarded me a replacement car which the manufacturer refused and gave me a full refund instead (less some small mileage fees). All in all the process took about 9 months and I had the car 2 months before filing the complaint. My problem was that the AC compressor would not engage at high speeds (50mph+).

For help just search for lemon laws on Google. There are way more sites now to help you than when I did this 4 years ago. Keep in mind as with many lawsuits/arbitration of this type, you must retain ownership of the vehicle. If you sell the vehicle then you have given up the lawsuit and it can't be used as evidence anymore. Be ready to have this go on for a year or just sell it and forget it. I could live with my AC problem even though it was a nuisance. If the car was unsafe to drive it would have been another story.
Old 04-08-2002, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess I'm wrong. MB is one of the few manufacturers that does not participate in the CA lemon law arbitration program and you must sue with an attorney. I spoke to MB customer assistance and they don't like to participate in arbitration programs because they can't bring their high priced lawyers and they always ask for a jury trial. Sounds like the tobacco industry. Put out a bad product and then make it up with good attorney's.

On the upside, if you win they have to pay all attorney fees and up to double the value of the car.

Personally when I had my first MB, I went to the owner of the dealer and said I would paint a large lemon on the side of the car with a sign that said I got my Lemon from Jim Slemon. They got me a new car that day. It was in 12 times for the same problem.

My car will be in tomorrow for the 3rd time for a check engine light caused by the coolant temp sensor. Number 4 is when it's time to make trouble.
Old 04-08-2002, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
You don't need a lawyer in CA, the manufacturer has to provide a lemon law arbitrator. Some of the smaller companies use the Better Business Bereau.
Did you go through the BBB arbitration program? I assume you did and were sucessful. Good for you.

I did it and it was simply the most horrible process. The arbitrator simply ignored the law in her decision. The process was very painful. When I finally hired a lawyer after losing in arbitration the VW attorney said to mine, "why did this case lose in abitration?" For $500, my theory is save the headache, and hire a lawyer. But of course, this is just MHO.

Last edited by galaxygrrl; 04-08-2002 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2002, 03:42 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed

Personally when I had my first MB, I went to the owner of the dealer and said I would paint a large lemon on the side of the car with a sign that said I got my Lemon from Jim Slemon. They got me a new car that day. It was in 12 times for the same problem.

My car will be in tomorrow for the 3rd time for a check engine light caused by the coolant temp sensor. Number 4 is when it's time to make trouble.
did you buy your MB from Laguna Niguel? I like that part of painting a big lemon on your car. LOL!

here is my question. Since my car is still at the shop, do I just contact lawyer point blank? It seems not nice to do for me at least try to talk to the dealer first.

What makes me start thinking is that I was told that the airbag harness (wire connector for the safety equipments) is having the problem. The first part that they order were they same that the car has (which creating the problem in the first place), so MB will ship another (updated correct) version of that connector (which has no ETA). My thinking is, if they don't have that "connector", does that mean all the 230k out there on the street has the faulty connectors?

today is the 28th day of since I brought the car in.
Old 04-08-2002, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, I got my car at Laguna Niguel MB. The dealer that I had my last MB lemon from was Jim Slemons which is now Fletcher Jones. I knew I shoulda gotten the Subaru. Thank goodness for loaners.

I would talk to the sales manager first and see if there is something they can work out on a swap as there is probably a market for used C230s and they are good at manipulating numbers so you come out OK. If that doesn't work I would try the service manager and have them setup a meeting with the factory rep and see how reasonable he is. If that fails it's time to write a letter to the owner. If that fails it's time to either get a lawyer or sell the car and eat the loss. If you go the lemon law route it may take a long time, mine took about a half year in arbitration.

The CA lemon law does deduct for mileage you put on your car since you 1st brought it in. It does compensate you for sales tax and registration fee.

Galaxygrrl, does the $500 cover the entire costs or is that just a retainer and he gets his fee from the settlement if he wins? How long did it take? Do you know of any good Lemon Law attorneys in the O.C. area?
Old 04-08-2002, 06:17 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
I just talked to the service rep earlier and he mentioned something about a factory rep is on this case already.

He said, "At the meantime, we don't mind that you are driving our e320." To be honest, I don't really care about the E320 after 1 week driving it.

Does the lemon law recover my interests paid for the car loan? since there will be a gap between the car sales price and the actually money I owe to the bank.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by pixmation

Does the lemon law recover my interests paid for the car loan? since there will be a gap between the car sales price and the actually money I owe to the bank.
Pixmation, the headache of bad car is not worth a lemon law suit, but if you have a strong case and win, you get alot back. This is what you get back

-- interest on you loan
-- a prorated amount for your car based on the mileage from the first time you brought your car in for the problem. The lemon law assumes the lifetime of a car is 120,000 miles so if the first time you brough your car in for the problem was it 5,000 miles you would get (120,000-5000)/120,000 = .96% of your money back.
-- A prorated amount for your registration for the year

You should call a lawyer ASAP before they fix your car.

Email me with questions if you want.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Galaxygrrl, does the $500 cover the entire costs or is that just a retainer and he gets his fee from the settlement if he wins? How long did it take? Do you know of any good Lemon Law attorneys in the O.C. area?
OK, $500 was my fee if the lawyer settled. That's it, no other hidden costs. Most of the attorney's fees are paid by the car maker in the settlement deal. So, when I said it only cost my $500 that is all it was. This is pretty standard, I think

The only lemon law attorney I know is in San Diego. You know, I live in the Bay Area and I never even met the attorney in SD, I just talked to him on the phone. So, don't feel like location is an issue, I think an attorney that the car makers take seriously is most important. You want your lawyer to be able to cut a deal with the car maker. If they know he is a bulldog, they will just settle the case which is what you want. (take the last three sentances seriously here)

Email me if you want. I feel like an old pro at this. I'm happy to help.

Beth

Last edited by galaxygrrl; 04-08-2002 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree, get a lawyer on it right away. The dealer has nothing to do with it and it's not their fault. It's a claim against the manufacturer or in this case the distributor. The dealer doesn't even find out. If you win it's for all of us. If people don't do this then car makers will think they can get away with it. Think what they are doing to you. You are not important enough to get a part out to you now. It's impossible for them not to have the part because they are still assembling cars and there are tons of them selling each and every day. It's just not cost effective for them to deal with you one on one. The lawsuit will turn the tide and it will make it not cost effective to ignore you. Funny how a premium brand company like MB doesn't care enough about it's customers to help you out.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:56 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
Think what they are doing to you. You are not important enough to get a part out to you now. It's impossible for them not to have the part because they are still assembling cars and there are tons of them selling each and every day. It's just not cost effective for them to deal with you one on one.
That's the fishy part of it. I said to the service rep, "If you have received the parts twice and they are not the correct parts and it's not because you got the wrong part #. Does that mean the correct part doesn't exist? And MB still making and selling this car everyday with a part that's not correct in it?"

Rep, "I know it sounds strange, but there is nothing I can do right now, we have a factory rep looking into this. At the meantime, we don't mind to have you drive our E320."

Me, "It is not fun making car payments but not have my car to drive."

Last edited by pixmation; 04-08-2002 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by pixmation

Me, "It is not fun making car payments and not my car."

That was my thought exactly about my VW. Hang in there!
Old 04-08-2002, 07:23 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
I had my dealer set up a meeting with the Mercedes rep, and he was pretty cool. Drove the car, and said they would put a new 2nd gear syncro in (my trans shifts like ***** from 1st to 2nd) but he recommended I just drive it for a while and see if it got better as it broke in. You might want to give the rep a chance to get it fixed first, because if you don't, that may work against you if it goes to court. In Georgia, you have to give the manufacturer 1 last chance to fix the car after you let them know you are lemon lawing the car. I lemon lawed a Dodge truck, and it was a long tedious process, but the rep called me the day before the hearing and offered to trade me out of the truck with them picking up the difference. So it worked out OK, but they put you through hell. So I'm done with Chrysler products. But the Mercedes rep seemed to genuinely want to make me happy, so give him a chance at least.

BTW, the website for safety issues is: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/

Last edited by speedfrk; 04-08-2002 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:16 AM

2005 CLK 500
Mercedes Sucks!!!

My baby (2005 CLK 500) had a transmission replaced two month after i bought the car. This is unreal! The problem is still not fixed. The car gives a harsh jerk every time i accelerate or decelerate. Especially, when slowing down to a stop. I asked the head mechanics there, what is wrong with the transmission? And he told me that is how the 7 speed tranmission works. I told him i was born at night, but it wasn't lastnight. I don't know much about cars, but I do know that luxery cars, didn't come with a vibrations package. My car is definitely a lemon. I'm in a process of getting Mercedes to buy the car back. My arbitration hearing is this coming Monday, Nov. 1st. Anyone feel my pain, WISH ME LUCK!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Jkw

2004.5 C 230
Originally Posted by cutechik501
My baby (2005 CLK 500) had a transmission replaced two month after i bought the car. This is unreal! The problem is still not fixed. The car gives a harsh jerk every time i accelerate or decelerate. Especially, when slowing down to a stop. I asked the head mechanics there, what is wrong with the transmission? And he told me that is how the 7 speed tranmission works. I told him i was born at night, but it wasn't lastnight. I don't know much about cars, but I do know that luxery cars, didn't come with a vibrations package. My car is definitely a lemon. I'm in a process of getting Mercedes to buy the car back. My arbitration hearing is this coming Monday, Nov. 1st. Anyone feel my pain, WISH ME LUCK!!!
That Sucks,
Jkw
Old 10-27-2005, 06:31 PM

2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350
I posted the www.lemonmb.com site for people to print the info showing the history of problems, it has helped some dealers fix peoples cars. You know how they always say, I couldn't duplicate the issue, well...showing them the historical data helps. If you're working with a customer friendly dealership.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:49 PM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
My boss is having mad probs with his '05 E500. Tire noise, engine whine..car has been at the dealer for the last 3 weeks trying resolve a problem, waiting on parts, etc...and a total of 42 days days in the 11 months he's had it. He's going to contact his lawyer tommorrow. Mercedes rep came to town today..basically told him under no circumstances were they taking the car back. Thats when he told he would get his lawyer involve and then they said they try to work a trade.