C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Battery disconnect - workshop faults ABS, display, SRS, ESP - low battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mercedes C240 Base
Battery disconnect - workshop faults ABS, display, SRS, ESP - low battery

Hi there,

I thought I would add to the knowledge base.

I have a 2001 MB C240 - Canadian sedan with 138,000 km

I had a cylinder 6 misfire so I disconnected the battery to replace the spark plugs on cylinder 6.

When I reconnected the battery, the dash showed a bunch of errors => ESP fault, ABS fault, Brake-wear indicator fault, Display fault and advised me to bring it to the workshop for repairs.

At this point, I'm panicking as I've seen this before with the rear SAM module killing itself when power is disconnected and that's what the forum warns about.

The next day, the errors are still showing up and I read somewhere on these forums that a low battery voltage might do this.

SO... I disconnect the battery again. Measure it at 12.7 volts; run it on the battery charger for an hour (from low => 80% capacity) and then reconnect the battery.

All faults gone except ESP fault which you can reset by turning the steering wheel fully in one direction then the other.

Breathed a sigh of relief and once again, I curse MB and their over-engineered craziness. The spark plugs on cylinder 6 were also horrible to access and swap without specialized tools.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 718 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
And this is why you need a STAR diagnostic system; it is required to clear the faults. When you do connect a STAR diagnostic system, it is going to show stored faults for every system in the car and each will show "CAN failure" and "Power failure". Find someone in your area to clear the fault codes; they just add clutter when you really need to troubleshoot your car.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts
C320
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
And this is why you need a STAR diagnostic system; it is required to clear the faults. When you do connect a STAR diagnostic system, it is going to show stored faults for every system in the car and each will show "CAN failure" and "Power failure". Find someone in your area to clear the fault codes; they just add clutter when you really need to troubleshoot your car.
A $120 Icarsoft I980 will also do the job and you can keep it in the glove box.