C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

New owner and some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 02:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C230
New owner and some questions

Hi guys. I just picked up an 07 C230 with only 59k. Lucky find I think. It looks like it came off the showroom floor. I do have some questions about some features though and I did try to search but not sure what happened but first.
-There is a button next to my lock unlock switch on the dash that looks like it’s for the headrests, when I hit it it does nothing.
-second going through the owners manual I was lucky enough to find in here. The summer opening feature. I tried with no success. Can anyone explain that kore to me what it is and how it works.
-third I saw threads about hooking up an aux cable and after I got the car I noticed it looks like it already had a hook up for an older iPod with a manual from MB on how to use it. I guess I need to read more into it but I’d imagine I can swap that out for an aux camel for my phone I’d imagine

like I said just got the car. Love it so far and looking forward to owning it. Thanks for the help
Old 06-15-2018, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
'16 E350, gone: '03 c230k
The headrest button is for the rear seat headrests. If one or more are up and you hit the button it should flip them down.

The summer opening feature is flakey. If you do some searching on here you'll find a thread on how to take apart the door handle to repair. Basically the sensor in the handle disconnected or makes intermittent contact. Try it over the course of a few weeks and you may find it works on occasion if the contact is intermittent.

I have an older c230 ('03) which just has an 1/8" aux. plug in the glove box. I actually put it in myself when I put in a factory COMAND radio. When I did this I remember taking off the side kick panel and door sill panel to run the connection into a wiring harness under the door sill. Not sure if that helps you any, but you may be able to wire in a newer cable. You can probably find a kit from a dealer or somewhere else on line.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:07 AM

2007 C230
Originally Posted by mtnman82
The headrest button is for the rear seat headrests. If one or more are up and you hit the button it should flip them down.

The summer opening feature is flakey. If you do some searching on here you'll find a thread on how to take apart the door handle to repair. Basically the sensor in the handle disconnected or makes intermittent contact. Try it over the course of a few weeks and you may find it works on occasion if the contact is intermittent.

I have an older c230 ('03) which just has an 1/8" aux. plug in the glove box. I actually put it in myself when I put in a factory COMAND radio. When I did this I remember taking off the side kick panel and door sill panel to run the connection into a wiring harness under the door sill. Not sure if that helps you any, but you may be able to wire in a newer cable. You can probably find a kit from a dealer or somewhere else on line.
thanks for the reply. I was able to get the summer window feature thing to work had to put he key right to the handle. I know it’s an 07 burn. This car amazes me. Already with all the little features I love it. Can’t wait to learn more about it. The summer window thing is perfect since I’m in Hawaii. It’s always hot and good to be able to get everything open and vent before I have to sit in it
Old 06-17-2018, 08:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
W209, W124
Front face of Audio 20 delaminating is common issue.

You can get another identical unit on Ebay for relatively little money. Avoid "untested" versions. This can also be a reason to upgrade to the Comand system with navigation. Not perfect option as it doesn't connect to internet and know where traffic is, but on the pother hand it works without any help from your cel phone company and does feel more modern than the base unit.

Putting in Command system was one of first things I did with my CLK. As long as there are satellites in the sky, my car always knows where we are.

3rd option is a much more modern 3rd party unit to have USB/Bluetooth/Google maps, etc. Good luck, lots of stores online, they all have caveats..

As far as old 30 pin cable, a cheap little adapter lets you plug modern lightning connected units in. My iPhone-X works fine in my CLK this way, even keeps it charged. I actually use my old 4S as music HD. Pretty useless as a phone, but nice music player. Steering wheel controls are clunky, but sound is good. Speaking of which, I seem to recall that having iPod kit meant it was a digital music signal, and thus better than the 1/8" headphone plug which would be analog. This could be baloney, I can[t remember exactly.

Looks like you have the HID (Xenon) headlights. Nice option, be ready for bulb failure. Unlike old filament bulbs they go into a flickering mode. Get them swapped out quickly, not good for igniter to keep firing them over and over.

Enjoy the nice car in the beautiful weather, and look out for volcanoes.

Last edited by MacVidMB-V8; 06-17-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If I were to replace the stereo again I'd go for an aftermarket unit such as Pioneer. My car is pre-facelift so the COMAND doesn't read DVD's and the maps for the navigation were stopped at ~2010. The entire unit is very dated...
Old 06-19-2018, 09:48 PM

2007 C230
Thanks for the info. I’ll probably look into an aftermarket head unit in a little bit. The peeling on the face of it drives me nuts. Only thing I’ve noticed with it is that it doesn’t blow air to the feet. Hot or cold air. I can hear it switching to the feet bc it sounds like it’s blocked. Been reading through the stepper motor thread. Does that sound like the problem? There are so many posts in the thread but nothing really about it not blowing to the feet. Any way to do the resync on my car like the older ones I was reading about
Old 06-21-2018, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Try re-syncing the stepper motors. I've replaced a couple of the stepper motor arms - not a fun job in the slightest...