C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

c230 motor swap options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230
c230 motor swap options

So rather than rebuild my c230 NA m111 2.3 4cyl motor i was wondering what options i would have for swapping the motor? i know i cant really swap to the v6 or v8 because of electronic difficulties not matching up etc but what about a kompressor m111 2.3 motor? from my research it seems the only difference is the compression ratio 10:1 NA vs 8.8:1 for kompressor and probly the cams? so would it be possible to swap in the kompressor 2.3 motor without any major electrical headaches? or what about putting a kompressor on to my NA 2.3 m111 motor? how would i get that (or a swap) to work with my ecu/tcu? ive heard of some people swapping from the 1.8 or 2.0 but i have never been able to pin down the details or talk to anyone with more knowledge. ive been creeping the forums for years and they have been very helpful but when it comes to this i cannot gather any detailed information or find anything more than what ive mentioned here. I understand why a swap to the 8 or 6 cyl are trouble but would either of these idea ive mentioned be realistically possible without any extra changes to the ecu/tcu electronic system? m111.970 is the motor I have now and the m111.974 is the 2.3 kompressor engine. they both probly use the same fuel ignition control but idk if the ecus/tcus are any different and what would be required to make the swap. any and all input or advice would be a great help. what options do I have here for more power? and yes i know if i really want alot more power im better off buying a c43 and doing the 55 swap. but if i could change from the 2.3 NA to kompressor that would be enough for me since i could then do a pulley kit and ecu flash.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:32 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
I might be wrong, but think you just need a correct ECU for the different type of engine, and maybe some SCN coding to "marry" the ECU to the car.

If you install a compressor on an NA motor, you might have to upgrade the injectors, and also will need to tune the ECU (and that will probably cost an astronomical sum of money, because these ECUs do not seem widespread, but you could try to ask some local tuners).
Old 02-09-2019, 02:05 PM

c230
after talk to some really knowldgable benz guys in the w202 scene i learned if i was to swap from 4cyl to a v8 or 6cyl I was told that all thats needed is the new engines engine harness, ECU,EIS,ESL plus the key. EIS
= electronic ignition switch and ESL = Electronic steering lock. beyond that he says its basically plug and play except for the ignition system wich has to match the motor your putting in. can anyone else confirm some of this? maybe someone who has done mercedes swaps before? the guy i talked wth almost made it sound easy but i know from my research and forum stalking that there isnt alot of data on this and even more mis information out there. im fully capable of doing the mechanical work as ive swapped motors on my manual e36 m3 before but when it comes to mercedes and automatic transmissions it seems like a whole different ball game. if anyone could chime in on this with some knowledge or let me know how accurate my info is? many people say that the tcu is the main problem but my other friend said that was bs and its just because of the EGS52 tiptronic trans that came in 99 and 00 vs the much more common non tiptronic EGS51 that we had throughout most of the w202s. any valuable knowledge or info would be AMAZING
Old 02-26-2023, 08:54 PM

W202 C180
Hi, just wondering did you get any further with this engine swap?