C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C180K Coolant check level, possible leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203 C180 Kompressor manual
C180K Coolant check level, possible leak

Hello guys I am new at this forum, but glad that I found you guys. So this whole Coolant check level stuff started around this winter when one day the computer showed a Washer liquid low warning so I topped that up, never came back. One week later Coolant check level. I didn't have experience with these cars so I immediately pulled aside and opened the bonnet just to see that it's perfectly filled. (major confusion at this point) Went on with my business, came back home, checked again just to be safe, same level. Checked the forums it said it could be from the Washer liquid sensor trigger because they are on the same circuit? Relieved I told my dad about the problem(since it's his car, I just happen to be driving it more often) he said alright. (note: I checked around for leaks in the engine bay, found nothing, also it was really cold at the time like -15centigrades). Weeks pass by no warning what so ever, every second or third week it appeared and after a restart it has gone away. It just happens that monday I had to do a trip (around 120km's there and back another) I was really rushing on the way there because it was late so I gave her a good run, behaved pretty smooth revved perfectly no overheating, no warnings whatsoever didn't get out of 6th gear at all(note: in Romania we don't have lot of "Autobahn" so more like country roads with villages every 5-10km's, a 100km trip can take 2 hours if you obey speed limits, and I did it in 1 hour and 10 min's), still got a 7.5l/100km consumption(not bad for the aggressive driving style). I was really satisfied with the car and if my budget allows and I won't find a good used VAG 1.8T car then I might look at the c180k or 200k as my car for the university trips.(sry for off topic)
But the warnings came back on the way home when I was driving pretty moderate (got 6.2l/100km with 2 passengers), still no overheating but the warnings appeared on every inclined road I was driving up, a total of 3 times. Today I checked under the bonnet, coolant still good, checked the hoses that are prone to breaking(according to the forum) and found that the hose that goes in the front of the engine(right at the thermostat?!) is wet and the engine block is moist or wet with either dust mixed with oil or coolant mixed with dust. Also where the coolant hose connects it seems to be missing from the edge?! or maybe the hose is shaped like this. I cleaned it around a bit, took some pictures so maybe you guys could say what exactly is the problem.(Also: I checked oil level and it said "Ok")

Oil/coolant? around cam sensors

That looks like a piece chipped out of there
Old 03-01-2019, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 188 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Welcome to the club.

You're definitely missing a chunk there. At minimum you need to replace that pipe. It's a known failure point on the M271.

There are 4 plastic coolant pieces (3 pipes and 1 nipple) that can explode for the M271. Click here for instructions on replacing all 4. I also listed all the part numbers. If 1 pipe has gone bad on you, the other 3 are not far behind, as they are all the same plastic. I highly recommend changing out all 4. PNs are all listed in that thread. In fact, I would keep a spare nipple in the car somewhere as they're only a few bucks. The nipple is ridiculously flimsy. I broke mine in half by resting my hand on it.

While that pipe (the one in your photo) is out, you probably want to replace the coolant thermostat as well. This thing goes bad every 100k km or so. PN 2712030575.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely replace that or maybe all 4 pipes. If I use OEM it should last another 15 years probably?
But that oily goo stuff is concerning me, because I don't know if the cam magnets or wire harnesses have been replaced? Maybe that could come from there? Also is there a recall for the cam magnets in Europe, because I read on the forum that some guys got it replaced free of charge.
Thanks for help
Old 03-02-2019, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 188 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
If there's oil there too, that would be the failed/leaking cam sensors. Click here for information.

The sensors I received during this recall also began to leak again. The leak is actually simple to repair (cheap method). It involves removing 2 sensors, opening them up by drilling out the rivets, and coating the sensor (brown ring thing) with sealant (any automotive RTV sealant that can handle oil works) where it contacts the metal, and putting everything back together. Basically the white gaskets between the sensor and metal casing go bad, causing the leaks.

I went the proper route personally and bought 2 new sensors. If you go this route, be sure to buy the 2 plugs that go in the middle, as well as 2 new O-rings for sealing with the engine block. The sensors don't include them for some reason.

Sounds like your car is experiencing the same leaks that pretty much everyone else on the forum with the same car/engine went through. While you're at it, check the vacuum pump at back of the engine. Another part with a 100% failure rate that leaks oil. Click here

Lastly, if you have an automatic transmission, check your radiator to make sure the manufacturer is Behr and not Valeo. Valeos from that era are known for leaking coolant into the transmission cooler line and destroying your transmission. Not sure if there's a similar setup for manual transmissions. If yours is a Valeo, replace it with an updated model or with a Behr.

Last edited by slammer111; 03-02-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:03 PM

Thank you once again, I will check the pump you mentioned, and also it's a manual thankfully (only problem is that it is a bit sticky when cold, but I am sure a transmission oil change would solve that).