C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

has anyone experienced this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c240
has anyone experienced this?

i was driving one day and all of the sudden i started to get all these malfunction lights turning on. A brake pad workshop, and an abs, esp, and bas light comes on saying visit workshop display defective. then my car automatically slows down to 10 mph, and i cant drive faster than that. When i shift into drive or reverse the car does a hard jerk. some of the features on my computer dont work, and its like when i get the car to move when the car reaches 10 mph, the car like cuts the fuel to the engine, then when i slow down it gives it fuel and so on. if anyone know whats goin on i would really like your help PLEASE!!!!!!

Bennie
Old 07-19-2004, 12:36 AM

'02 C230K Coupe
Too much nitrous perhaps?

But seriously, sounds like your car is in "limp-home mode". According to the manual the only gears that work are reverse and 2nd gear. I'd drive/tow it to your dealer ASAP. If it's tranny or ECU problems you only risk more damage to your car. Hope your car is still under warranty, good luck.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 M3 ZCP, 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS, 2018 Tesla Model X, 2023 McLaren 720S Spider
Sounds like alternator problem. Usually a faulty alternator will make *all* the lights go on the dashboard. At least this is what it's like on most Japanese cars.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:26 AM
Guest0001

ahhh I hate hearing stuff like this. . Sorry to hear. People complaing about there seats and rattles. But THIS is a serious problem when a car stalls. I hope you dont experience it again.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
I too am voting for failed software and/or the drivetrain computer chip. Not common, but known to happen...this puts the transmission into so-called "limp-home" mode [as noted in post above]. Let us know what the dealer says...

Last edited by jrct9454; 07-19-2004 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:22 AM

2002 E55, Black on Black
Originally Posted by elchinocache
i was driving one day and all of the sudden i started to get all these malfunction lights turning on. A brake pad workshop, and an abs, esp, and bas light comes on saying visit workshop display defective. then my car automatically slows down to 10 mph, and i cant drive faster than that. When i shift into drive or reverse the car does a hard jerk. some of the features on my computer dont work, and its like when i get the car to move when the car reaches 10 mph, the car like cuts the fuel to the engine, then when i slow down it gives it fuel and so on. if anyone know whats goin on i would really like your help PLEASE!!!!!!

Bennie
You've probably tried this, but have you parked the car, turned it off, let it sit a while, and restart? I just read in Car and Driver or Automobile of the same problem on their long term E500. They turned it off and let it sit, and the software "rebooted" itself, thus fixing the problem. I think their problem surfaced from some repetitive back and forth gear changing trying to get out of the snow or something.
It may be a longshot, but hope it works for you.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
That is some scary stuff! I have never had anything remotley that bad happen! Let us know what the shop tells you about it
Old 07-19-2004, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
yes it is scary to hear, but because it happens on one doesnt mean we are all going to get it like the plague.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:47 AM

c240
i tried shutting off the car, removing the key, and letting it sit. THis happened to me a couple of times in the past. then letting it sit and reboot seemed to fix the problem. This time it happened to me while i was sitting in front of my girls house, This was very embarassing as i was trying to kick it to her friend. But when i tried to reboot it it just wouldnt work. Its been 2 weeks and my cars warranty expired so i have to rely on my pops to fix it. Luckily he specializes in mercedes. But he's been so busy will all his paying customers that he hasnt had time to thouroughly run the das program to find the problem for his non-paying son. Thanks for all your input, i'll run your ideas by him to help him with his quest to find the problem. I'll very much welcome any other comments you guys have. The funny thing is that i keep cursing out my car and saying i dont want it anymore, but when i think about downgrading to something else, i think nah, i'll just deal with the problems. Nothing drives like a mercedes.

Bennie
Old 07-20-2004, 03:53 AM
Guest0001

I know what you mean about downgrading bro. but when a car leaves you stranded that is just unacceptable. If that happened to me I would sell my car ASAP and get something else. Everything else I Dont care, but being stranded... Nah.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:35 PM

2011 C63, 2004 S500, 2013 E350, 2013 Ody Elite
Exclamation I just happen to my C320 last night!!

I first notice the weirdness of the turn signal irregular blinking. It will go really fast then slow then missing a blink. Like, blink, blink, blinkblink, pause, blink, pausepause.... very weird. After I park my car the alarm will not blink 3 times to arm?! It will only blink once. The funniest thing happen is my rear sunshade, it will roll down an inch when I arm and roll up an inch when I disarm?! When I start the car (after dinner), my steeling wheel and chair will not move to my position(have to press the memory), the sunshade button is not working, the gas gage was showing NO gas with gas warning light blinking on and off, Malfunction menu show Display Malfunction please visit dealer (something like that), my rear parking light (red, not brake light-thank god) will go on and off like X'mas tree (one driver behind me come next to me said am I playing with my rear light because is blinking on and off). Thank god my headlight was still working.
After I finally got home, I park my car and arm and disarm...kind of play with the car and sunshade and get into my home decided to bring my car to dealer. After about an hour in the house, the car alarm went off. WTF....so I disarm and left one door open for while so it won't arm itself again.
This morning the car is back to normal. Damn...I will bring the car in tomorrow for sure.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:07 PM

c240
dam that sux, the problem i described started to happened to me again and i think it is the esp module that is bad or atleast one of the connections because al i have to do is disconnect and reconnect some big connector on the module and the malfunction messages go away. My car is unfortunately not under warranty anymore. I'm not sure how much it is to buy a new esp module but i know its gonna be sh#t load of money. ANd for some weird reason sometimes when i brake and come to a stop my pedal gets hard and the car starts to shake and then it revs up a little, this all happens in like 7 seconds and then the car goes back to normal like it never happend. weird huh?
Old 09-06-2004, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230 kompressor
Originally Posted by DL_AMG
I first notice the weirdness of the turn signal irregular blinking. It will go really fast then slow then missing a blink. Like, blink, blink, blinkblink, pause, blink, pausepause.... very weird. After I park my car the alarm will not blink 3 times to arm?! It will only blink once. The funniest thing happen is my rear sunshade, it will roll down an inch when I arm and roll up an inch when I disarm?! When I start the car (after dinner), my steeling wheel and chair will not move to my position(have to press the memory), the sunshade button is not working, the gas gage was showing NO gas with gas warning light blinking on and off, Malfunction menu show Display Malfunction please visit dealer (something like that), my rear parking light (red, not brake light-thank god) will go on and off like X'mas tree (one driver behind me come next to me said am I playing with my rear light because is blinking on and off). Thank god my headlight was still working.
After I finally got home, I park my car and arm and disarm...kind of play with the car and sunshade and get into my home decided to bring my car to dealer. After about an hour in the house, the car alarm went off. WTF....so I disarm and left one door open for while so it won't arm itself again.
This morning the car is back to normal. Damn...I will bring the car in tomorrow for sure.

uh oh now im am worried i have been noticing that wierd blinker on mine its very irregular i hope this isnt the leed to that
Old 09-06-2004, 10:07 PM

dam that sux, the problem i described started to happened to me again and i think it is the esp module that is bad or atleast one of the connections because al i have to do is disconnect and reconnect some big connector on the module and the malfunction messages go away. My car is unfortunately not under warranty anymore. I'm not sure how much it is to buy a new esp module but i know its gonna be sh#t load of money. ANd for some weird reason sometimes when i brake and come to a stop my pedal gets hard and the car starts to shake and then it revs up a little, this all happens in like 7 seconds and then the car goes back to normal like it never happend. weird huh?
I guess I'm in luck in compare to u..my warranty will expired next month. Better take my car in tomorrow. Will follow what they replaced.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:03 AM

Okay...the car is at dealer waiting for parts now. 2 parts was mention by the service advisor...1. Rear Sam Module 2. Gas gage module. Hopefully that will fix the problem. I had also confirm with EuroPimp (steveNL) and he mentioned the same item need to be replace.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:11 PM

c240
keep me posted
Old 09-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Banned

................ Bell Helicopter & '05 C230 SS
Originally Posted by HITMAN
uh oh now im am worried i have been noticing that wierd blinker on mine its very irregular i hope this isnt the leed to that
Don't be so worried, yours is new and has warranty , but I'm sorry to hear anyone going through that without warranty, and I know what it is to be stuck in the middle of the road with a bad car (remember, 1986 Porsche has it's quirks).
Old 09-08-2004, 04:24 PM

C32
Sounds like a car built by Microsoft - at least we are not seeing the blue screen of death.

Otherwise, reboot works - simply amazing. Now I just found out my driver door window's auto-up failed. More warranty work to come.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Guest0001

Originally Posted by ultraseven
Sounds like a car built by Microsoft - at least we are not seeing the blue screen of death.
That happened to my computer 3 months ago though.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:52 PM

Arrow Update

1. The Faulty Rear SAM module had contributed most of errors ( but SA and paper work said is for Alarm only) was replaced.

2.For the gas gage error, they had replaced Fuel Level sensors (2)and Aux Pump. Tank was drain and refill with full tank of gas.
I noticed the gas gage will drop almost 1/5 on gage when the car parked on a uphill. Maybe its a known problem which made them replaced the gas tank sensors and etc.

3.For Lamp Out warning for turn signals - both Lamp sockets and bulbs had been replaced.

4.For Rear Sunshade, they replace the entire rolller blind which I think the malfucntion is due to the faulty rear sam module. But they replace it anyway.

Hopefully this will fix it for GOOD.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230 kompressor
Originally Posted by PRHeloPilot
Don't be so worried, yours is new and has warranty , but I'm sorry to hear anyone going through that without warranty, and I know what it is to be stuck in the middle of the road with a bad car (remember, 1986 Porsche has it's quirks).
good point :p
Old 09-09-2004, 03:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, 2004.5 C230 Sport Sedan, 2005 E320 CDI, 2008 C300 4-Matic Luxury

Bennie

i've had this problem happen to my car twice, only i wasn't in motion, it happened right as the car was starting, all of a sudden the esp and some other light came on and there were some malfunctions and it told me to visit the workshop, naturally, i flipped the hell out! then i turned the car off, pulled the key out, and restarted and the problem went away , i'm not exactly sure why it happened, although i did note those days to be VERY hot so i'm wondering if something got messed up due to the heat. i really dont know, but it hasn't happened since (last time was about 2-3 months ago i believe), if it happens again though i'm takin it to the dealership and i'll keep all of you posted.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:26 PM

c240
thanks, if u do take it to the dealer let me know what they changed so i can have a better idea with wats wrong with my car so i dont go changing uneccessary parts. Thanks
Old 09-10-2004, 12:24 PM

C230K, Orion Blue, Oyster Leather, 6 speed (what else), C5 (let the sun in)
Had the same problem with the BAS/ESP lights coming on while I was in L.A. Shut the car off and they didn't come back on the entire trip back to New Mexico. Took the car in for the relentless squeeky stabilizer bars which service rep said they had a new "special" lube for (we'll see how long it lasts). But he did say there was a notice out by Mercedes for a wiring harness for the ESP module. I'm still under warranty so no charge. Have your service folks look for error code C1185. If that comes up you may be having the same problem mine did. Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:59 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550
1 Malfunction

2003 E500 miles 16,000. I have receive this message about seven or eight times. 1 Malfunction, display malfunction visit work shop. I have taken it to the dealer three or four times. The messages comes and go. The message may last for a couple of days and go away for a week or month. Each time I take the car to the dealer they keep it all day and tell me the error has been taken care of. The last time was a month ago. I received the same message again yesterday. I have not notice any other problems other than the message.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: has anyone experienced this?