C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Duped by the Dealer. What should I do?

Old 10-21-2004, 12:37 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 C230K Coupe
Angry Duped by the Dealer. What should I do?

I purchased an '02 w203 Coupe from my local MB dealer here in MN. The day before the car was delivered, I ran my own carfax and a front-end collision was listed. Upon confronting the dealer, I was assured this was minor, that the car was not towed from the scene and that it was thoroughly inspected prior to being offered for sale. Over the course of the past 3 weeks and 1300 miles, I've discovered:

1. Broken glass throughout the rear cabin, into the trunk, glass rattles around inside the rear hatch.
2. a replaced passenger side headlight assembly
3. replaced front bumper
4. overspray on the driver's side front quarter panel suggestive of repair or repainting

In addition, the car was delivered to me without:

1. A manual
2. A spare tire jack
3. A first aid kit

My pano roof has stopped closing completely and the rear deck has now broken. The handling has recently become very sloppy and the car is pulling hard to the right.

Now I know that in any purchase of a used automobile there's a responsibility of the buyer to look the car over; but was I naive in trusting an MB dealer on a used car purchase? What do you guys think I can do about this. The car was purchased with 27K on the odometer, I've had it for 3 weeks and have put 1300 miles on it. I purchased it from Sears Imports in MN. Thanks for the suggestions! I'm really upset about this.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:47 AM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
Sell it. Since you've had it for three weeks, the dealer isn't going to be of any help. I also wouldn't go back there if you don't trust them. Use your gut instinct. It's safe to assume the car wasn't a Starmark (or MB Pre-owned, whatever they're calling it now) vehicle. Any accidents would void that possibility. The sunroof should be covered under warranty.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
was it staramarked?
Old 10-21-2004, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
there's no way that car could be StarMarked. Not after an accident bigger than just a front bumper nudge.

Weird.

Can you get more information regarding the accident from CarFax or a Police report perhaps ? If the full extent of the damage was NOT disclosed, you may have a legal case. Any reputable MB dealer would not sell a car that had that much flagrant damage and try to pass it off as "minor".
Old 10-21-2004, 03:52 AM
Almost a Member!

'02 C230K Coupe
The carfax report said, "front impact collision" and had a police report #. I brought this to the salesman's attention prior to delivery and I was told that unless the collision is listed as "severe" by carfax, it means it was minor and the car did not need to be towed from the scene. It seemed like a reasonable explanation to me but I can't see how a car expert like the dealer could have missed this damage. And no, it was not starmarked.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Originally Posted by hoyabob2003
The carfax report said, "front impact collision" and had a police report #. I brought this to the salesman's attention prior to delivery and I was told that unless the collision is listed as "severe" by carfax, it means it was minor and the car did not need to be towed from the scene. It seemed like a reasonable explanation to me but I can't see how a car expert like the dealer could have missed this damage. And no, it was not starmarked.
Talk to an attorney, get the police report, and fie a complaint with the better business bureau within 30 days of buying the car. Oh...and DONT talk to the salesmonkey....go to the General Manager. You might also call Mercedes Benz USA to get some leverage and support, but it is a used car, so remain humble (don't give them attitude if you're asking for help). Chances are you'll only get the problems fixed, but then you can "flip" the car with a clear conscience (and maybe even for a slight profit) <--2002's have the M-111 engine, thats a desirable and functional feature compared the the new motor.

Last edited by Rick; 10-21-2004 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:38 AM
Almost a Member!

'02 C230K Coupe
I think that's what I am going to do; I'm bringing the car in today at 2pm. I'm quite upset, so being nice is going to be very difficult. The more I look at this car, the more I find wrong with it; even the "kompressor" logo on the trunk is not on straight. I never would have gone over the car so briefly if this wasn't a benz dealer. Let the buyer beware, I suppose. What do you think the odds are that I'll get the dealer to take this car back?
Old 10-21-2004, 10:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS
Just wondering...did they discount the selling price quite a bit compared to KBB, NADA because the car had the accident history?.....If that's the case I could see them use that as the excuse of selling you a damaged vehicle and refuse to buy-back the car.

Last edited by respdoc; 10-21-2004 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Almost a Member!

'02 C230K Coupe
Nope, no discount. I paid a little under NADA but more than I would have from a private party in the Minneapolis market. However, what made the deal so attractive was the high price they gave me on my trade (a perfect, accident free Audi TT) ... but the bill of sale certainly does not reflect a very discounted vehicle, that's for sure.

I paid $21K for the C230K ('02 with 27K miles, cloth with only the pano roof and CD changer), got $19K for the TT ('01 225, loaded)
Old 10-21-2004, 12:34 PM

2019 CLS
Too bad you didn't post your car on this board b4 you sold it. One of the vehicles I'm looking at for buying is a TT for the AWD so I could use the car year-round.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Almost a Member!

'02 C230K Coupe
I would have loved to have sold it to you! Not to turn this into a discussion about other cars but the TT was amazingly unrefined even compared to the C230. The TT has great looks and good performance but is also is noisy, full of rattles and not very well thought out as far as ergonomics is concerned. I'd much rather have one when it snows, however....
Old 10-21-2004, 02:55 PM

2019 CLS
I do know what you mean about the noise. I did notice that when I test drove one around here. It was a hardtop but I could still tell a decent about of wind noise coming around the back side window area. The controls and espically the navigation was a little odd but ok for my uses. Out of my choices for AWD cars within a budget..(STI, EVO and TT) I still like the TT the best so far.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Almost a Member!

'02 C230K Coupe
Interestingly enough, when I got to the dealer (having emailed my salesman yesterday with the list of problems and my concerns), he had a loaner car waiting, asked me if I, "just wanted out of the car," and told me he'd call me back in a few hours. The whole exchange took around 10 minutes. No arguments about the history of the car at all....we'll see what happens next

As far as an AWD car on a budget, I'd take an '04 WRX. It's quick, comfortable, reliable and a pretty darn good value; the STi, while an incredible performer, and more of a daily driver than say, an EVO, is still too much for a daily driver. My big problem with the subarus was the clutch...way too stiff for me...
Old 10-21-2004, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sold my '02 that was flawless, never even a door ding '02 coupe for $15,8K. These cars are slow sellers, took me 3 months of heavy advertising. Keep in mind that it only makes it Carfax if it's major enough for an insurance claim. For example, if the damage was just a minor deal, below many peoples deductables, like under 1K it would not show up on Carfax. Personally, I wouldn't touch a car that's been in any accident unless I knew the person and the accident because even minor accidents can cause chassis damage and once the chassis and structural members are bent it makes it easy to colapse in an accident and cause you more injury. Also a repainted front always chips easier and in one case I had the paint start to flake off. I know that Starmark cars are absolutly no guaranty that it's not been in an accident. I know someone that had major problems with his SLK and the dealer even admitted it was in a major accident. Luckily it was Starmarked so they took it back. Even after taking it back they put it back on the lot. So if you can, work out a deal with the dealer, you absolutely paid too much for it as new ones here go for about $23-24K and with a coupon you can get $1,500 off that. See if they'll apply the price you paid towards a new one and then price match to carsdirect.com and see if you can get a $1,500 off coupon from someone, they give them out at all their events.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 C320ss, 2005 Ford F150 Supercrew, GSXR,
Interestingly enough, when I got to the dealer (having emailed my salesman yesterday with the list of problems and my concerns), he had a loaner car waiting, asked me if I, "just wanted out of the car," and told me he'd call me back in a few hours. The whole exchange took around 10 minutes. No arguments about the history of the car at all....we'll see what happens next

As far as an AWD car on a budget, I'd take an '04 WRX. It's quick, comfortable, reliable and a pretty darn good value; the STi, while an incredible performer, and more of a daily driver than say, an EVO, is still too much for a daily driver. My big problem with the subarus was the clutch...way too stiff for me...
You need to now put yourself in the drivers seat of this situation.
Play up the aspect that you want to just resolve this situation in house without involving MBUSA. MBUSA is very little help but is a good threat of sort.
Your salesman asked if you just wanted out? At what price? You need to make a suggestion that works in your favor......
Old 10-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
I sold my '02 that was flawless, never even a door ding '02 coupe for $15,8K.
I went to Toyota the other day, they said they'd give me 11,8K for my coupe. I got angry and left. Went to MB and pretended that I'm going to buy a C sadan. And when I told them I want to trade my SC they gave me 13,5k!!!!!!!!!!!

What makes me really mad is that I, or dad actually, paid 33K for this car just three years ago!!

We had a 1994 SE300. We bought it in 94 for 60K. We just sold it, TEN years later... and we got 17K.

I wonder how much my coupe will worth after two years only!
Old 10-21-2004, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Originally Posted by Oil Change
I wonder how much my coupe will worth after two years only!
$0.02

oh no wait, that's just my opinion !

seriously, I don't think the resale value of the Coupé will be comparable to other Benzos of the past & present. The C230K Coupé is really the front-end entry level C-Class, along with the C240 Sedan, and with all the problems the 2002 model had, it makes a bit worse. No one looking for a used car is going to take a car that has had such bad reviews and maintenance problems. It has given the C-Class Coupe a stigma that will be hard to shake. Interestingly enough though, the 2003 + Coupés have fared much better !

Most people buying a Benz for the first time are going to go for a NEW (still relatively cheap) C-Class, or starting next year B-Class, so the novelty (& prestige factor) of owning a Benz is a little skewed. Unfortunately, the Coupé target audience has many other NEW options (brands) to choose from, so buying a used one will probably mean that someone was just desperate to "own a Benz" or didn't have enough money, and hasn't thought about the maintenance issues. Ok. Those were my $0.02
Old 10-22-2004, 12:53 AM

2014 C300, sport, black/black
Whether on purpose or unintentional, the dealer misresprented the car during the sale. That is fraud and last I looked is a criminal offense.

If the dealer offers to take back the car with a full and complete refund (including sales tax, licensing fees, etc...), take it. If they offer anything less than a full and complete refund tell them (calmly) you want all your money back. If (after going through the management chain at the dealer) they still refuse, tell them you will escalate to the local chapter of the BBB and whatever state agency that investigates consumer fraud. The dealer appears to be in good standing with the BBB, so my guess is that they will do the right thing for a customer, and thereby avoiding a messy fraud investigation for themselves.

Last edited by shorthair; 10-22-2004 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:57 AM
Almost a Member!

'02 C230K Coupe
I think that's what I am going to do. They have a nearly identical coupe on the lot right now and I just emailed my salesperson with a request for a swap. They're asking $1k less than I paid for my car for it, so I don't think it's an unreasonable request at all. We'll see what happens tomorrow. I really don't want to fight with anyone and I really hope this was an honest mistake on the part of the dealer.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 C320ss, 2005 Ford F150 Supercrew, GSXR,
I checked it out for you. It is Starmark so take it

2002 C230K 2-Door Coupe
VIN - WDBRN47J22A316249
Mileage - 17946
Price - $19900
Exterior Color - Paprika
Interior Color - Ash Cloth
Old 10-22-2004, 03:56 AM
Almost a Member!

'02 C230K Coupe
Thanks for checking it out for me. Now I just have to get the dealer to go for it. Wish me luck!
Old 10-22-2004, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BANNED
Originally Posted by Anaheim_Drew
2002 C230K 2-Door Coupe
VIN - WDBRN47J22A316249
Mileage - 17946
Price - $19900
Exterior Color - Paprika
Interior Color - Ash Cloth
Anaheim: You 'da MAN!!!
Good going!!
Old 10-22-2004, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
my problem with subaru is I don't like the styling. However, I have seen a picture of the 2007 WRX STI and i like that design much better than the current one
Old 10-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Almost a Member!

'02 C230K Coupe
alright, so now the dealer claims that the other coupe was, "just sold this afternoon," and is refusing to buy back my coupe. They re-aligned it, put new bushings on the suspension, detailed it and have ordered the parts to fix the pano roof. Do I have any leverage at all in making them take back this car? It seems to me that MB is footing the bill for all this warranty work that's being done at the expense of the factory; and I don't want a wrecked car. From now on, my motto is, "let the buyer beware," suggestions anyone?
Old 10-22-2004, 05:05 PM
Almost a Member!

05 C230 Kompressor Sports Sedan
I say take it the legal way. Get your attorney, and handle it. See if that scares them. Seriously, what ever happend to "the customer is always right" - - Make's me sick!
I hope you get out of this problem, asap! I feel ya!

-Vishal Kuber

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Duped by the Dealer. What should I do?