C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Rattles, Ticking, knocking, rattling DIY FIX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna check out the passenger headrest one. I have several rattles and squeaks in the 2001 c240, but I can't confirm if the sources you listed are the same as mine.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:31 AM

2001 C240 Tectite
Originally Posted by pokerFACE
I'm gonna check out the passenger headrest one. I have several rattles and squeaks in the 2001 c240, but I can't confirm if the sources you listed are the same as mine.
Ok, as I said before sound travels a lot in your car so what seems to be coming from behind might be coming from the dash hope this thread will help you.. I know I can't stand the rattles..
Old 11-13-2004, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the hard part is that I'm not gonna close my eyes and cover one of my ears while I'm driving in order to locate those damn noises.

lol.

actually I seem to be getting some squeaking that seems to come from the rear of the car. Sounded a lot like the bad bushings on the front sway bar.. but it's coming from the rear this time?? I know I had the front ones changed already.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:37 AM

2001 C240 Tectite
Originally Posted by pokerFACE
the hard part is that I'm not gonna close my eyes and cover one of my ears while I'm driving in order to locate those damn noises.

lol.

actually I seem to be getting some squeaking that seems to come from the rear of the car. Sounded a lot like the bad bushings on the front sway bar.. but it's coming from the rear this time?? I know I had the front ones changed already.
ahhh same here, had the front links and bushing replaced, going in on november 24th to replace bushings as well....

try to have someone else drive your car to locate the sound, or do like me and use a cacometer or you can use that thing doctors use to listen to your heart beat..
Old 11-13-2004, 10:15 PM

2003 C230
Narcissus. the headrest is a long story

It was making a metallic noise so the dealer replaced it. It still made the noise so they replaced the rails. Now the noise is definitely plastic creaking. It makes the noise with or without anyone in the seat. Actually with someone seating in the seat the noise is not as evident. I lined the plastic in the rear of the seat with that self-adhesive foam used for insulating windows and doors. The creaking still happened. If I hold the headrest tight with my hand the creaking stops. It only creaks over rough roads ( common in CT ). The seatbelt ticking noise also happened in a loaner I had for a week. One other noise that the dealer gave up on is the steering column make a creak/click if I apply any force to ( like holding the wheel tight during a tight turn ).

Thanks

CZ
Old 11-14-2004, 11:07 AM

2001 C240 Tectite
Originally Posted by czachari
It was making a metallic noise so the dealer replaced it. It still made the noise so they replaced the rails. Now the noise is definitely plastic creaking. It makes the noise with or without anyone in the seat. Actually with someone seating in the seat the noise is not as evident. I lined the plastic in the rear of the seat with that self-adhesive foam used for insulating windows and doors. The creaking still happened. If I hold the headrest tight with my hand the creaking stops. It only creaks over rough roads ( common in CT ). The seatbelt ticking noise also happened in a loaner I had for a week. One other noise that the dealer gave up on is the steering column make a creak/click if I apply any force to ( like holding the wheel tight during a tight turn ).

Thanks

CZ
In this case I think you should ask your dealers to replace the whole seat, it coul dbecome a safety issue in a few years... as for the steering wheel I had the same problem, but it went away when I changed the steering wheel... try pushing on the column itself instead of the stering wheel? you can try removing your steering and put it back.. it's easy, there's 2 hex screws behind the steering... remove those, take out the air bag, unplug it, then you'll need a crazy wrench to remove the middle bolt... ask any car shop.. they have crazy wrench that will make yours look lke a toy... make sure the car is off and the key is out or you'll get an srs error
Old 11-14-2004, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Coupe
The real fix for number 9 is to completely turn of the traction control. Does tend to make the tires squeal when accelerating or braking hard though.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by taylor192
#2 is the most annoying.

I was able to solve some of the squeaks by lubricating the springs/hinges of the seat, yet the majority of the squeaks come from the vinyl rubbing seat.

Glad I have charcoal seats, the velcro fix will be easy and blend in.

Thanks!
It might be something in the seat. Mine squeeked so bad you could here it with the radio on low. Dealer rolled his eyes and said, yeah, weve had a few like this... Take it in, let them fix it.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:07 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
For anyone who's still experiencing mysterious squeaking noise from the rear side panel below the B-pillar while going over bumps, there is a plastic lip inside the panel rubbing against the metal car body.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:32 PM
taylor192

Originally Posted by Narcissus
2 ) Squeaky seats : Squeeks when moving, or turning/braking hard

Applied some adhesive velcro backing (the fuzzy side )where the blue spots are, you may want to apply some other places but it is defintly caused by the plastic rubbing against the vinyl
I tried this and couldn't get good results.

I agree, it from the plastic rubbing the seats cause when I pull the plastic away the squeak is gone. I'm so annoyed by the squeaks I am going to take out and apart my seats and see what can be done.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:30 AM

05 CLK 500 cab
I began to get a squeaky driver's seat last month. After a couple of apathetic weeks I ran the edge of a thin felt cloth down between the plastic trim and the seat fabric. Squeaking gone, but it looks pretty ratty when I open the door. One day when I'm feeling energetic I'll visit a craft shop and buy some adhesive-backed felt which, by the way, is a good substitute for cardboard.
The following users liked this post:
stwilson (12-21-2016)
Old 11-19-2004, 04:06 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
I went to Walmart and bought a square piece of those chair leg felt material - the thing that prevents the chair/table legs scratching the hardwood floor. Then cut it to size and stick onto the squeaky area. Cheap $3 fix - I spent more on gas going to Walmart!
Old 11-19-2004, 07:54 AM
taylor192

After some investigation, #2 is a little flawed as a solution.

1. I started by putting the velcrowhere the seat contacted the edges of the plastic - didn't help.
2. So I decided to pull the plastic away to see if that would help - it did/
3. So I decided the plastic must be rubbing lower, not just on the edge. I stuffed the velcro down between the seat/plastic and the squeaking stopped.
4. My next atempt will be to take the seat out, take off the seat bottom and back, and line all the non-visible potions of the seat (or plastic, whatever is easier) with felt.

#7 can be fixed a little better than described if you're willing to put in some extra effort. Remove the centre console trim and the wedge in some felt along the entire length of the edges.

The most annoying rattle I have now is caused by hitting a large bump. The sound is metalic, not a squeak. I've gota investigate this more, yet I hate hitting large bumps with my car!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:35 AM

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S
Here's another way of getting rid of noise!!!
Attached Thumbnails Rattles, Ticking, knocking, rattling DIY FIX-bitch.jpg  
Old 11-19-2004, 03:39 PM

2001 C240 Tectite

The most annoying rattle I have now is caused by hitting a large bump. The sound is metalic, not a squeak. I've gota investigate this more, yet I hate hitting large bumps with my car!
Upper arm links bushing probably needs to be replaced, mine were around 5000km ago... now the back sway bar bushings also needs to be replaced, seems to be a known issue also...
Old 11-19-2004, 03:49 PM
taylor192

Originally Posted by Narcissus
Upper arm links bushing probably needs to be replaced, mine were around 5000km ago... now the back sway bar bushings also needs to be replaced, seems to be a known issue also...
How can I tell?

I replaced my sway bars myself, so removing the rear bushing would be easy for me to determine if it needs replacing, yet I'm not sure where/what the upper control link bushing is.

You may be right cause the noise is from the rear.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:52 PM

2001 C240 Tectite
How can I tell?

I replaced my sway bars myself, so removing the rear bushing would be easy for me to determine if it needs replacing, yet I'm not sure where/what the upper control link bushing is.

You may be right cause the noise is from the rear.
If it's from the rear then it's not the arm links, can still be the bushings or control arms... I think that's what they are called in english.. I'm bringing in my car this tuesday to fix it so I can let you know... try going over bumps with jsut one rear wheel see if you hear a creeking sound..

Or just bring the car in
Old 11-21-2004, 01:49 AM

C230 Kompressor Sports Sedan
MBZ are known for electronic problems....however the rattles are the booming issues on W203, like we have.

i am taking it in for a "rattle fix" i hope the "tech" will fix everything...i have like 11 correctional points, some similar to yours.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:52 PM

2000 CLK430
I need to do #3. I've tried taking off the headrest but am unable to? How do you remove the headrest? Mine is a clk but, however, it appears to be the same.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2004, 07:49 PM

2001 C240 Tectite
Originally Posted by dbaumy
I need to do #3. I've tried taking off the headrest but am unable to? How do you remove the headrest? Mine is a clk but, however, it appears to be the same.

Thanks
you should be able to pull it right out, you may have to tilt the seat back... if it's electric and not manual you can read your owners manual for the directives, or call your service advisor...
Old 11-26-2004, 06:20 AM
Banned

here is an idea.. ducktape the whole car.

OMG LOL
Old 11-26-2004, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Narcissus.

I hope your car never goes on fire. With all that cardboard hidden in every crevice you'll have a hard job trying to convince your insurance company that it was not arson.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:38 PM

2001 C240 Tectite
Originally Posted by Fastbuck
Narcissus.

I hope your car never goes on fire. With all that cardboard hidden in every crevice you'll have a hard job trying to convince your insurance company that it was not arson.
The acrdboard doesn't touch any electric parts?? chances are the carpet will catch on fire before the cardboard does? You can use anything else you want you just need something to apply a little bit of pressure.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
I can't believe how much time you spent on isolating the rattle, squeaks and noises in a C class. I knew the 00-04 C Class has some quality issues with the rattles and squeaks. It would drive me nuts if I had one, that I would probably traded in faster than the SL500 would go in 60 sec.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:03 AM

2005 C320 -Sports package - black / black
Can you guys here the engine when you car is in gear and you are stopped? Mine makes kind of a ticking/thumping noise at idle......is this normal?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rattles, Ticking, knocking, rattling DIY FIX