C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Rattles, Ticking, knocking, rattling DIY FIX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C320 4Matic
Originally Posted by Narcissus
Pop open the hood, look for the area I circled in red... can't really miss it , it's pretty loud when the hood's lifted

touch around, you'll see where you can tighten things up to minimize/eliminate the noise...
I looked around this morning in the area you suggested and found that there was a loose snap-on cap holding down one of the two hoses. I snapped that back into place but the sound persisted.

It might be from the second hose but I didn't see it banging against anything. If I hold the hose, I can feel it pulsating though (at about the same periodicity as the sound I hear inside the car cabin).
Old 04-15-2005, 06:11 PM

2001 C240 Tectite
Originally Posted by raunen
I looked around this morning in the area you suggested and found that there was a loose snap-on cap holding down one of the two hoses. I snapped that back into place but the sound persisted.

It might be from the second hose but I didn't see it banging against anything. If I hold the hose, I can feel it pulsating though (at about the same periodicity as the sound I hear inside the car cabin).
Ok even if all the clips are attached you will still hear it, it's a design flaw... turn your car on and touch/squeeze around and you'll find where to strap things up to reduce/eliminate the noise... don't worry it's pretty sturdy
Old 04-21-2005, 02:51 PM

2005 C320 4Matic
Ok even if all the clips are attached you will still hear it, it's a design flaw... turn your car on and touch/squeeze around and you'll find where to strap things up to reduce/eliminate the noise... don't worry it's pretty sturdy
I took my car in earlier to get the service counter reset, and mentioned the noise of the service advisor. She immediately said: "purge valve, it's normal but annoying. MB has a fix that will make it more quiet, we'll take care of it". Cool!

Last edited by raunen; 04-21-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:04 PM

2001 C240 Tectite
Originally Posted by raunen
I took my car in earlier to get the service counter reset, and mentioned the noise of the service advisor. She immediately said: "purge valve, it's normal but annoying. MB has a fix that will make it more quiet, we'll take care of it". Cool!
Sweet, they'll change the little plastic bracket, the noise will be almost eliminated, when you get your car back, tie-wrap the top 2 wires together and you'll have succeded in eliminating the purge valve sound completly!
Old 04-28-2005, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 G63 AMG, 2019 G550
Where is the purge valve located?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:12 PM

2001 C240 Tectite
Around the area circled in red

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....4&postcount=69
Old 05-11-2005, 09:20 AM

2003 C230
I have a couple of rattled from HELL

car is usually VERY quiet on smooth roads.
When I go on bumpy roads ( lots of them in CT ) I hear plasticky (vinyl against plastic or plastic against plastic ) sounds from the rear. I can actually hear two distinct sounds that sound identical but one seems to come from the left rear and the other from the right rear.

VERY annoying.

Another rattle is more like a creaking noise and it comes from the center console. I have the aluminum trim and the 6-speed. It seems to come from around the tranny/cup holder area.

The last 2 happen infrequently. When I go over any pavement that has grooves in it, the trim and/or the seat belt anchors buzz.

This car is a plastic hell. Any loaners I've had did not have any of these issues.

Thanks

CZ
Old 08-06-2005, 09:11 AM

Thank you

Thank you guys.
These stuff really works. Took 2 hours off from work. Did the Rear view mirror. You could actually seperate the casing. I used double sided foam tape to create some cushioning effect.
Then I did the center console with some old calling name card (near the player) There is also 2 removable panel at both end of the dash board, you can see this when you opened the door.

Now the noise decreased about 50%!!.

Have to wait till I'm able to try out the other fix.
For those with squeaking sound vinyl / leather, maybe you can try to lubricate with silicone oil?
Old 08-06-2005, 09:51 AM

2013 c300 4matic, 2002 c240
this thread is not a sticky anymore???
Old 08-06-2005, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Originally Posted by pookie
this thread is not a sticky anymore???
yes it is !
it's part of all the other DIY links on one compiled Sticky.....

Click HERE

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 08-06-2005, 02:35 PM

2013 c300 4matic, 2002 c240
Originally Posted by Saprissa
yes it is !
it's part of all the other DIY links on one compiled Sticky.....

Click HERE

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
sometimes i think i'm going blind.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:20 PM

2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
Sweet, they'll change the little plastic bracket, the noise will be almost eliminated, when you get your car back, tie-wrap the top 2 wires together and you'll have succeded in eliminating the purge valve sound completly!
for those of us with a car not in waranty anymore what's the best solution here? is there a part number that we can order to get the proper plastic bracket or is it not neccesary and the problem can be resolved by clever modification of the existing bracket + tie-wraps
Old 09-08-2005, 02:50 AM

2001 C320
Originally Posted by C240-Merc
My 2001 C240 does the same thing. When the car is at idle it makes the ticking sound. I can only hear the sound when I am in the car. When I took it to the dealer to have the service B performed they could not find any problems associated with the sound that I was explaining to them. The best they could do is associate the sound to the a/c. Guess I will have to live with it.

I recently put on a new set of 18 inch wheels. A couple of weeks after the installation I now hear another light ticking sound coming from the right side of the dash only when the car is moving. The faster I go the quicker the sound gets with shorter intervals. So I thought it was the wheel, however the wheel is not rubbing against anything and it is driving me nuts. I tried locating it but have been unsuccessful. Could it be a fan? What could it be?
This sounds like what was happening to my C320. I would hear a faint ticking sound that the ticking increased as I drove faster and vice versa. I also noticed that it happened more when it was a warm or hot day. The dealer could not find anything wrong with it, as usual. My service advisor told me when it happens, bring the car in. About a week later it started up again. I brought it back to the dealer and a technician rode in the car with me. He said it's the driveshaft insulation rubbing on the driveshaft. They replaced it and it never happened again.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I have finally solved my squeaky driver's seat, and it had nothing to do with cutting the trim or applying velcro.

I simply sprayed some silicone on the two coil springs under the rear corners of the seat (access from the rear door). Spray some extra around the locating lug inside the bottom of each spring. Wipe the excess to keep it off shoes of those sitting in back. Not a hint of sound, now. Hooray!

Funny thing is that I had complained about the squeak at each of two A services and two B services, and a few other times for other warranty repairs. The dealer consistently said they could not duplicate the problem. And all along they could have sprayed some silicone themselves just as a preventative measure. It would have shut me up years ago.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
I have finally solved my squeaky driver's seat, and it had nothing to do with cutting the trim or applying velcro.

I simply sprayed some silicone on the two coil springs under the rear corners of the seat (access from the rear door). Spray some extra around the locating lug inside the bottom of each spring. Wipe the excess to keep it off shoes of those sitting in back. Not a hint of sound, now. Hooray!

Funny thing is that I had complained about the squeak at each of two A services and two B services, and a few other times for other warranty repairs. The dealer consistently said they could not duplicate the problem. And all along they could have sprayed some silicone themselves just as a preventative measure. It would have shut me up years ago.
Next time you have to spray the seat use Team McLube's SAILKOTE. It is a dry lubricant that works extremely well. I use it all over both of my boats as well as around the house and cars. Once it dries (very quick) it wont drip off like WD-40. It will also last alot longer and is more slippery. It works so well America's Cup teams spray the hulls to reduce friction and drag in the water.

http://www.mclube.com/frames/sailkote/index.html
Old 09-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Ah, good information. Thanks for sharing. Something like this could be useful for many applications. Now, where is the nearest marine store?
Old 10-09-2005, 05:17 PM

cl203 Sports Coupe
Originally Posted by Capt Nemo o2
Ok two things...

One for anyone with an 05 with HK package... There is a rattle coming from the back of the car from the bass. I found a major part if not all of this sound was the plastic speaker grill over the sub. It rattles in the back of the grill in the center. Havent found a fix because I'm afraid of breaking it!

Also, all thoughs squeaks everyone hears from the front seats. The sound from the vinyl/leather rubbing against plastic... I noticed that has been eliminated for 05, the seats have a soft cotton or nylon patch wherever the plastic meets the seats. Just thought I would mention something completely useless and something most probably know already!
I have the sub problem too, i have a coupe and the sub in the rear always makes a stupid rattling sound. i put a small cloth to fit the Speaker and the GRill and it made less of a rattle but i dont want that...wonder if theres n e thing else we can do...maybe change that speaker?? heh
Old 10-19-2005, 01:32 PM

2017 G63 AMG, 2019 G550
My driver's side door rattles like crazy. It sounds like something is loose inside. Has anyone taken the door panel off to see if they could tighten things up inside there? The sound is driving me nuts.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:27 PM

2005 C320 4Matic
did you check the trunk release button?

if you're still under warranty, take it in and they'll fix it (i've had several rattles fixed under warranty).
Old 10-19-2005, 05:46 PM

2017 G63 AMG, 2019 G550
I checked the trunk release button and it is not loose. I believe it has something to do with the window's internal components, because when I put the window down a few millimeters from the upright position the rattle is less obvious. As far as warranties--I only have the extended warranty and I don't believe it will be covered. I will ask my SA at the dealership to see if he can have someone take a look at it and charge it to the company that provided the ext. warranty--it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:39 PM

Here's a unique one...6 speed trans klunk

Follow along with my description and see if you know what this could be.

While I have many of the annoying creaks and rattles you have decribed here, I have one **klunk** that has not been mentioned. Probably due to the fact that my C230K SS is a 6 speed.

When I get home at night, I turn into my driveway (slightly uphill) and open the garage door. Now, the driveway slab sits a few inches below the height of the garage floor, so when the front tires reach the garage floor, there's a light bump up going in to the garage. (The car is in 1st gear when heading up the driveway.) So, once the front and rear tires have made the bump up onto the garage floor, I disengage the clutch just before applying the brakes. At the exact moment I disenage the clutch, the rear end produces a reverberating klunk...pretty damn noticeable. The obvious explanation would be that I'm disengaging the clutch over a bump, and "something" is lose and klunking during clutch disengagement.

Thoughts, anoyone? My car is going in for it's first B-Service next week.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:06 AM

2003 C230
I sprayed the springs with lithium grease

Originally Posted by MB-BOB

The squeak went away temporarily but it's back intermittently now.
Sucks
Old 11-23-2005, 04:31 PM

2003 C230
Mine is an 03 and the driver's seat creaks.

Originally Posted by Capt Nemo o2
oh ok! must have been the pre-03 models like the original poster's i guess? My bad!!!
Sprayed the springs and that reduced the creaking but it depends on the seat back positioning. If I recline it even a litle bit the creaking starts.

CZ
Old 11-26-2005, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C63S E1 (sold 2012 C63 AMG Sedan (Premium & APX)) & 09 C300 Sport 4Matic
On my old 01, they changed the purge valve bracket and it fixed it.

On my 05 I had a noise that sounded like it was rear suspension or sway bar links related on bumpy roads.

Turned out to be an adjustment to the rear door latch. The door was vibrating a bit.

..jack
Old 01-08-2006, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
About the purge valve this may be interestig for someone.

Please note that acording to the document cars produced after 07/2001 should have the enhanced braket.

Best Regards.
Attached Thumbnails Rattles, Ticking, knocking, rattling DIY FIX-purge-valve.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rattles, Ticking, knocking, rattling DIY FIX