MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   MB Tex or Leather? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/200834-mb-tex-leather.html)

GPI 07-07-2007 01:05 PM

MB Tex or Leather?

The new C-class has MB Tex as standard for the C300 sport. Since I've not experienced a Benz with MB Tex, I would like to know the pros and cons of it. Compared to leather, what are the pros and cons of the MB Tex? Would you rather have MB Tex or get the leather upholstery option?

QQQ 07-07-2007 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by GPI (Post 2309066)
The new C-class has MB Tex as standard for the C300 sport. Since I've not experienced a Benz with MB Tex, I would like to know the pros and cons of it. Compared to leather, what are the pros and cons of the MB Tex? Would you rather have MB Tex or get the leather upholstery option?

In Canada MB Tex has been standard for C. If I have money I'll pick leather.

LCN 07-07-2007 08:42 PM

personally I would get leather, but the pros of mbtex is longevity and I don't think it marks as easily and there is less maintenance, as with leather you have to clean it frequently or after a while it fades.

GPI 07-07-2007 08:48 PM

Is the comfort of the seat the same for MB Tex and leather? I was told that leather is softer than MB Tex.

LCN 07-07-2007 11:46 PM

Yes the leather option is softer than mbtex

alpinweiss 07-08-2007 01:53 AM

In short: leather for comfort, MB Tex for durability and low maintenance.

How long do you plan to keep your Benz? If more than 3 or 4 years, you may want to consider the MB Tex. It looks similar to leather, but lasts almost forever. Check the upholstery on a 20 year old Mercedes with the MB Tex, and you will see what I mean.

Still, the leather is really nice. It smells nice, and sits comfortably. Leather must be treated periodically or it will develop cracks.
:zoom:

Dema 07-08-2007 02:02 AM

Leather is less practical, it feels colder in cold and hotter in hot. It keeps you sweat and easily can be marked. Some think that leather more simple to clean, but it isn't true. However leather is a symbol of luxury, so if you do not choose leather, then my Honda.

GPI 07-08-2007 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by alpinweiss (Post 2309743)
In short: leather for comfort, MB Tex for durability and low maintenance.

How long do you plan to keep your Benz? If more than 3 or 4 years, you may want to consider the MB Tex. It looks similar to leather, but lasts almost forever. Check the upholstery on a 20 year old Mercedes with the MB Tex, and you will see what I mean.

Still, the leather is really nice. It smells nice, and sits comfortably. Leather must be treated periodically or it will develop cracks.

I should be keeping it for more than 3 or 4 years. I expect the comfort of the W204 to be better than the W203. Will you feel the same comfort level with MB Tex compared to leather? And is the smell different from leather?

Capt Nemo o2 07-08-2007 01:48 PM

The seating surfaces are still leather, just the bolsters and the door trim is mbtex.

MB-JIM 07-08-2007 02:45 PM

Leather seat inserts are no longer included. The MB Tex may be ok but I don't believe it has the quality of the old MB Tex. I have a 20 year old E Class wagon with black MBTex that still looks and feels like new. Several years ago I had a Mercedes with MB Tex and it didn't begin to have the quality feel and looks of the old MB Tex. Since then I have always ordered leather.
If you can afford it, get the leather option.

Capt Nemo o2 07-08-2007 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by MB-JIM (Post 2310117)
Leather seat inserts are no longer included.

Really? Damn! A Mercedes with vinyl!

alpinweiss 07-09-2007 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by GPI (Post 2309805)
I should be keeping it for more than 3 or 4 years. I expect the comfort of the W204 to be better than the W203. Will you feel the same comfort level with MB Tex compared to leather? And is the smell different from leather?

Only real leather has that rich leather aroma. MB Tex does not.

Leather can be durable and long-lasting, but you must use special leather treatment products on it periodically. You may not have as much of a cracking problem in a cool and moist climate like Seattle. Here in the dry scorching deserts of New México, leather dries out and cracks if you do not maintain it properly.

My 2005 C-Class has the leather inserts. I think that was a really good way to go. Leather where you sit, MB Tex everywhere else. Too bad this combination was discontinued.

GPI 07-12-2007 02:12 PM

Thx for the info guys! :y

MidniteBluBenz 07-12-2007 11:56 PM

IMO MB Tex is a poor substitute for leather. Full leather is noticeably better

Can Drive 55 07-13-2007 09:22 AM

I've always thought that leather had better breathing qualities, making it a bit cooler to sit on.

geisterfahrer 07-22-2007 10:50 AM

MB Tex Has Advantages

MB Tex is easy to care for, durable, never too hot or too cold, cruelty free.
Level of comfort is mostly dependent on the type of seat underneath rather than on surface material.

MB-JIM 07-22-2007 03:59 PM

I have black MB Tex in my wagon and black leather in my 06 C350.
The difference in comfort is amazing. The MB Tex is very hot in the summer and my but gets wet. The black leather is much more comfortable in the heat and isn't as cold in the winter. If you can possibly afford it, get the leather. It feels much better, looks richer but does reauire some maintenance.

GPI 07-22-2007 05:43 PM

I just want to make sure, is MB Tex the same as Leatherette?

AsianML 07-22-2007 06:28 PM

Is the leather in the W204 perforated or the smooth kind? Personally, I think that makes a difference in how it will hold.

The window sticker on our ML says it has Ash leather (it's perforated), and after almost 6 years it still looks new.

berenyi 07-24-2007 11:08 AM

Tex = perforated

Leather = non-perforated

AsianML 07-24-2007 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by berenyi (Post 2336646)
Tex = perforated

Leather = non-perforated

For the W204?

ultraseven 07-24-2007 02:33 PM

If MB Tex is renamed as vinyl, most of us probably won't be having this discussion. I don't think anyone would boast having plastic seating surfaces in a 40K car.

mahls10 07-24-2007 02:47 PM

slightly off topic, is there a confirmed leather/mb tex color options for the US market?
When I configure the new c class on the international mb site, there is a sweet brownish color leather option. looks really nice. I'd definitely pay for that option!

TEAShea 07-25-2007 01:19 PM

Different Strokes

I ordered MB Tex in my new C350 sport. I have had leather in all of my recent cars, but I found the MB Tex to look better to me - I like the texture. In addition, the texture will remain consistant, unlike leather. I do expect it to not be as comfortable aftre sitting in the sun and the smell will be missing...

TEAShea
from Nebraska

Untertürkheim 07-26-2007 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by GPI (Post 2333621)
I just want to make sure, is MB Tex the same as Leatherette?

It's all textured plastic. I cannot imagine getting MB-Tex or anything else on a car I would order for myself. The only time you should see MB-Tex in a MB would be in a taxi.