MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Hello this will be my first MB (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/205049-hello-will-my-first-mb.html)

springville 08-08-2007 07:01 PM

Hello this will be my first MB

I am new and I was wondering what MB Tex really is and if it is a definate YES to upgrade to leather upholstery?

Thanks I appreciate all of your help!

vin1215 08-08-2007 07:10 PM

mb tex = bmw leatherette.....its pretty much fake leather....i have it in my 05 c230 and I wouldnt even think about spending 1500 for "real" leather...seems almost the same to me..with 1500 id rather have the 18" amg wheels and the ipod kit

springville 08-08-2007 07:15 PM

Oh thanks so it really isn't worth the 1500 hmm good to know. Thanks but I still would like to hear opinions from other people. Thanks again!

amdeutsch 08-08-2007 07:17 PM

In that case why not search the forums instead of waiting on answers.

Welcome to the forum :newbie:

zakklp 08-08-2007 10:40 PM

Stick with the MB-tex and spend your money on something else. It's hard to even tell the between the two.:nix:

QQQ 08-08-2007 11:00 PM

leather is nice but not worth the $1,500

stephensong 08-09-2007 07:26 AM

My dealer valued my 2005 C230 which i'm trading for the new C300. He rated my '05 with leather seats when it has MB-Tex. It is hard to tell the difference. Save your $1500.

ffejalink 08-10-2007 12:35 AM

Your C230 has leather inserts. The center portion of the seats is leather; the outter sections, head rests and door panels are MB-Tex. A full leather interior was an (unpopular) option on the W203 as well.

ultraseven 08-10-2007 01:10 AM

MB Tex is textured vinyl. Nothing more, nothing less. It's plastic. It's up to you if you want to spend $1500 on leather, but only you will probably know. It will last longer than leather with little maintenance, but last I've checked vinyl floors also last pretty darn long ;).

Besides, are you really going to tell your friends you bought a 40K car but opt for plastic seats?

Untertürkheim 08-10-2007 04:11 PM

I had one MB with MB-Tex that was a result of others' reccomendations. I've since sold it and have always ordered the full leather option. The W204 no longer has leather inserts, it's all plastic, and you can tell. The feeling of MB-Tex, especially on hot days, is disgusting in my opinion. There is a reason it can only be found in taxis in Europe...

Also, check this thread out:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/200834-mb-tex-leather.html

TEAShea 08-10-2007 04:51 PM

All of my recent cars have had leather, but I went with MB Tex for my 350C Sport (on order). This is a personal, subjective issue. I actually like the grain on the MB Tex better than the leather. In addition, the MB Tex wears better. However, the issue of MB Tex not being good in the hot sun is a real one.

TEAShea
from Nebraska

DaCeptak0n 08-10-2007 05:07 PM

I have Leather in my E320 and you can tell the difference between that and MB-Tex only by experiencing some time with each. My GL450 has MB-Tex and in all honesty, the leather is much softer than the MB-Tex but really you can't tell only if you sit on either for a long time, otherwise if you look at it, there's no way to tell it...

Save the $1500

Untertürkheim 08-10-2007 05:12 PM

I beg to differ, one touch should be all it takes to tell the difference. I remember test driving the new C and being appalled at the plastic interior. I can't understand getting such a nice car (that isn't cheap) with plastic upholstery.

MBTex 08-10-2007 05:15 PM

i'm looking at my first MB now and have gone back and forth on the leather thing. i've owned leather interiors and cloth interiors but never anything mb-texish.

i have also since driven C300's with either in them and have concluded that the leather is more comfortable and feels like leather, whereas the mb-tex looks a bit like leather and isn't too much less comfortable than the leather.

Is the leather better...yes. Is it worth 1550? Not for me, I'd rather put that money toward the multimedia package.

oblu 08-10-2007 05:30 PM

One thing I noticed was that the mb-tex was perforated and the leather wasn't. Don't know if that matters to anybody, or if it's normal. :nix:

MBTex 08-10-2007 05:36 PM

it's normal

Z O O R O P A 08-10-2007 06:12 PM

what about fading value?

which will fade more?

the tex or the leather?

I'm moving to Texas so the sun will be shining !!!!

MBTex 08-10-2007 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Z O O R O P A (Post 2363146)
what about fading value?

which will fade more?

the tex or the leather?

I'm moving to Texas so the sun will be shining !!!!

i live in Texas. Leather always fades and cracks in Texas. You can really extend the life of it and keep it looking good IF you take care of it regularly.

If you are like me, you will intend to take good care of it, but won't.

MB-tex will not fade or crack much at all because it is synthetic and is otherwise pretty much maintenance free as far as i can tell.

in terms of value...well kept leather will be worth more, but not by much. if you leave the car in the texas sun on a regular basis for 5 years, an mb-tex interior will look much nicer than a leather interior when you go to trade the car in.

PUMes 08-11-2007 01:33 AM

I'd get MBTex on my C for sure. Leather is destined for breakdown in the future, and if you plan on keeping the car for several years or more it will probably need to be reupholstered at some point, something you'll never have to even consider with MBTex(leatherette).

Glasgow Gold 08-11-2007 05:39 AM

Personal preference of course but hard for me to get over paying for a luxury brand and walking out with plastic, lower end seats than now found in many Hyundais.

I say shame on MB & BMW for not just including the real thing in the base price. Enough with this "luxury's now optional" nonsense.

Untertürkheim 08-11-2007 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by PUMes (Post 2363632)
Leather is destined for breakdown in the future, and if you plan on keeping the car for several years or more it will probably need to be reupholstered at some point, something you'll never have to even consider with MBTex(leatherette).

Well, the leather in my 560SEC (1988) still looks great. I guess I have not kept it long enough for it to fail and require replacement.