C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C Drive - Santa Monica - Crap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 BMW 750i, 2008 Toyota Prius
C Drive - Santa Monica - Crap

Man... What a waste of time.

They shut down the closed course... Which looked small anyways. And then they make you caravan in packs of 6. If you have a lagger, you are pulling over to wait for them to catch up.

Just milk and cookies for food.

Stay home and save yourself a couple of hours.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:34 AM
Almost a Member!

S6
It was qutie nice actually, at least while I was there, treats included. While I'll say the drive itself was kind of "tag along", the closed course event was cool and provided a good, albeit short lived, no frills experience with the new C. We had to wait for this one guy in our caravan who really pissed me off earlier by walking in front of me while I was snapping some pictures(and knew what he was doing w/ this constipated look on his face when I looked up at him). What a douche... Anyway, I was really amazed w/ the W204's press on handling in the closed course event, convinced me just that much more of how talented and superb this car truly is. MB has once again out did themselves, and this is just their entry level car! In the states that is, of course.

What time did you go? I went @ 12.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
I thought it was a waste as a well. The road course was just stupid... I know the area quite well (it's literally right NEXT to my gym) and the activities were just so small scale and pretty lame. Yeah, they had milk and cookies, but milk in ****ing shotglasses!

The H/K experience was pretty cool and I was VERY impressed by the sound system... but, that's about it.

I honestly didn't like the car. I drove a C350 Sport. I thought the steering wasn't very precise--it had too much play (the speed sensitive rack is MUCH better on the 06.5 and up w203 than this). Even the steering wheel felt very thin and very cheap.

The brakes were VERY sensitive, I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing, but it definitely takes some getting used to.

I also didn't think the C350 had much power. I was honestly very disappointed. It won't touch a 335i; hell, I think the 328i is almost on par with it.

From the "road course," there's that left turn from Ocean Park to 31st Street--I know that turn EXTREMELY well. I've been going to the gym there for the past 3 years after work and I take that turn like crazy. I'll gun my car and whip it into that street. I've taken it in both my C230 and my M3 (and even loaner cars), and I was NOT impressed AT ALL with the C350.

The telematics and audio system were the best parts of the car (except the climate control was kinda ****ty too). I also REALLY liked the 18" AMG 5-spoke wheels. Sad, but that's it.

The event was very disappointing and the car was nothing to write home about. After driving it, sure I loved the electronics and the looks, but I definitely don't think it's much of an upgrade from the w203. Perhaps after they give it its first facelift and other goodies maybe it'll be great, but I'm not impressed by the w204.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
They served milk and cookies? Seems like they're trying to market the C-Class to young children that can't legally drive yet.

Seems like the Santa Monica event is much better than the San Francisco one.

I've driven the C300, courtesy of my local dealership; honestly, nothing special about it except for the navigation system. The steering feels terribly light and imprecise, when you turn the steering wheel you might accidentally tap the horn due to a poor design of the horn pad.

I didn't find the brakes overly touchy, but they didn't feel especially precise.

The exterior looks reasonably good. But the interior suffers from poor fit and finish, large gaps in critical areas, large amounts of hard plastics, and a dashboard that seems to be made of hard plastic that has a "spray-on" rubber treatment.

The one good news, the W204 might actually be a car that brings Mercedes-Benz reputation back up. Ever since the W220 S-Class, Mercedes-Benz quality reputation has taken a dive. The W203 wasn't a super-reliable car initially, and the W211 was riddled with electronic problems. The new W221 has so far been quite reliable and I think this W204 will also share that same sentiment.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by patrick_y
They served milk and cookies? Seems like they're trying to market the C-Class to young children that can't legally drive yet.

The steering feels terribly light and imprecise...

I didn't find the brakes overly touchy, but they didn't feel especially precise.

The exterior looks reasonably good. But the interior suffers from poor fit and finish, large gaps in critical areas, large amounts of hard plastics, and a dashboard that seems to be made of hard plastic that has a "spray-on" rubber treatment.
at the milk and cookies comment.

I completely agree with you with regards to the steering and the brakes.

the interior did feel very cheapish because of the HUGE amount of plastics everywhere...

but, what made me laugh was there was this woman in the "shuttle" with us (they had to shuttle us from the parking lot to the event) and she said that the car was "perfect" and was raving about it. I wanted to bust out laughing and ask "what the hell are you driving right now? have you driven other cars?"

also, we were all walking back in from the driving event into the tent and I said kinda loudly, "the C350 didn't have much power, I wasn't impressed" and one of the workers glared at me...
Old 08-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Steering/Handling Sucks! Styling sucks! Brakes are too touchy. Interior feels cheaper. Door handles are too low and don't make any sense.

Sound System is definitely much improved. Auto tranny has improved w/ the 7G system.

Overall experience as C drive was okay. Frank, Phil, Jose, Miguel, MJ and I all went on the road drive at the same time! That was the best part of it...OH and also the part where the lead car pulled us to the side of the road because he thought we were having "too much fun" in the residential areas!...
Old 08-19-2007, 04:04 PM

Thumbs down Another "C" Drive - Total Crap in Santa Monica

I don't understand why MBUSA overbooks these driving events, makes you wait an hour to actually get in a car. Then they let you drive ONLY 4 BLOCKS along with a caravan of other C-Class drivers. You don't have an opportunity to cut loose and see how the car really drives and handles.

A total waste of time and very poor public relations on MBUSA's part. Plus, virtually no food and a junkie ditty bag with brochures and cosmetics.

Robert Ades
310-571-1224

Last edited by robertades; 08-19-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:38 PM

c300
Sounds major ghetto compared to the Q7 "street of dreams" event and the X5 rollout events that we attended. Closed course with all the cars in the lineup plus rides in an RS4 (Audi event), catered food, live entertainment, unlimited time in cars. And you were reserved a time slot, no waiting around.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 712 Likes on 693 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
here are the pics from the c-drive...
203 FTMFW!

Old 08-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

bone stock E55 AMG
last set of pics

Old 08-20-2007, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by patrick_y

But the interior suffers from poor fit and finish, large gaps in critical areas, large amounts of hard plastics, and a dashboard that seems to be made of hard plastic that has a "spray-on" rubber treatment.
I've been hearing what you've said here a lot as well, which is kind of disappointing.

So I've got a reservation for the NJ C Drive in Sept...sounds like it is not worth the drive down there from Boston It sounds like the previous C Drive event was better.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

bone stock E55 AMG
here's the clip from c-drive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHl-YXjayBE
Old 08-20-2007, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
Originally Posted by MJ50
here's the clip from c-drive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHl-YXjayBE
Looks like they didn't let you do much
Old 08-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Took some pics also from my cell phone.
Attached Thumbnails C Drive - Santa Monica - Crap-c-drive.jpg   C Drive - Santa Monica - Crap-c-drive-2.jpg   C Drive - Santa Monica - Crap-c-drive-3.jpg   C Drive - Santa Monica - Crap-c-drive-4.jpg   C Drive - Santa Monica - Crap-c-drive-5.jpg  

Old 08-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

And more...

more pics...
Attached Thumbnails C Drive - Santa Monica - Crap-c-drive-6.jpg   C Drive - Santa Monica - Crap-c-drive-7.jpg  
Old 08-20-2007, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by GDawgC220
I've been hearing what you've said here a lot as well, which is kind of disappointing.

So I've got a reservation for the NJ C Drive in Sept...sounds like it is not worth the drive down there from Boston It sounds like the previous C Drive event was better.
Perhaps. I'm lucky I didn't go to the San Francisco one, I was told nobody got the chance to take it over 35 miles per hour.

For a ride and drive event, this doesn't come close to comparison with the Maserati Ride and drive I attended a few years back, I actually had twenty minutes in the car, it was on a good road course, and there were opportunities to faster.

I'm just not terribly impressed by any new Mercedes-Benz vehicle at all. Lately, I've driven the SLK 350, C300, S550, and S63 by Mercedes all with the 7 speed automatic transmission. I blame the automatic transmission, it's difficult to tell which gear you're in. They give you a locking torque converter to lessen the "slush-box" feeling, but some would say the whole thing feels like a giant slush-box.

I also drove the BMW 328i two months ago and I give it two thumbs up.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Almost a Member!

S6
I'd suggest, to those open to the idea, to go and drive the car at a dealer where you can get a better feel for the car in a less restricted driving environment. I'll admit having a "lead driver" kind of pissed on the experience as you were limited as to just what you could do. At the end to each his own I guess.