MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Front License Plate on the W204? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/206792-front-license-plate-w204.html)

CarGuru 08-22-2007 12:03 AM

Front License Plate on the W204?

Anyone installed a front license plate on a W204? Our dealer does not install the front plate or drill the holes for one even though we live in a state that requires one. I hate the idea of the front plate, but my wife won’t drive the car without it even though she works for the fire dept and could probably get away with it if she got pulled over. My concern is if I decide to install one, I don’t want to accidentally install or drill it in a non-factory location. The car came with no diagram or schematic-template or such. Also anyone got a picture of a 350/300 sport with a front plate I would love to see if it’s palatable or not, the cars look so good without one though.

Thanks in advance

-Ryan

Shake 08-22-2007 12:21 AM

If you ask the dealer, they should put it on for you. :)

MBTex 08-22-2007 12:22 AM

I'd be shocked if they didn't. I also live where front plates are mandatory (unfortunately) and the dealer for every car I've ever bought has put it on.

CarGuru 08-22-2007 12:37 AM

I feel silly repeating this, but my salesperson told me quote “We don’t install them in the Pdi process as the vast majority of our clientele request we not drill holes into their bumper” “And the California Highway Patrol knows that Mercedes owners don’t like the way they look so they leave them alone” I know it’s typical salesman horse dung but seriously. I wonder if there is a special or universal hidden bracket that can be made to mount the plate, which could mount from behind the lower grille or under? I don’t really want the holes in the cover the more I think about it? I know on the C6 Corvette forums a guy was selling two awesome products, a license plate bracket that hides and has quick-release tabs to remove it on an instant leaving no evidence one is installed, and a metal skid that attaches below the bumper so you don’t hang the chin spoiler up on a parking block or scrape it up pulling into driveways. I would use both on my C if I could remember where to find them?

-Ryan

CarGuru 08-22-2007 12:44 AM

As you can see in the picture (My car the Steel Gray) and the car behind in the delivery area sans the front plate installed, not one car on the entire lot had a front plate mounted or the mounting hardware for one. I actually thank them for this in a way, as when I was a lot younger and purchased a new Passat back in the day, the dealer bored some seriously nasty holes in the cover to install their advertisement piece, thus forcing me to use a front plate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...g?t=1187072466

-Ryan

Shake 08-22-2007 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by CarGuru (Post 2378310)
I feel silly repeating this, but my salesperson told me quote “We don’t install them in the Pdi process as the vast majority of our clientele request we not drill holes into their bumper” “And the California Highway Patrol knows that Mercedes owners don’t like the way they look so they leave them alone” I know it’s typical salesman horse dung but seriously. I wonder if there is a special or universal hidden bracket that can be made to mount the plate, which could mount from behind the lower grille or under? I don’t really want the holes in the cover the more I think about it? I know on the C6 Corvette forums a guy was selling two awesome products, a license plate bracket that hides and has quick-release tabs to remove it on an instant leaving no evidence one is installed, and a metal skid that attaches below the bumper so you don’t hang the chin spoiler up on a parking block or scrape it up pulling into driveways. I would use both on my C if I could remember where to find them?

-Ryan

Oh, i'm sorry. My first post did not make any sense. :smash: I don't know what i was thinking when i was reading your original post. I completly missed that the dealer did not want to put it. The cops won't let you go just because you have a Mercedes. That is the dumbest thing i've heard. I'd just get one off ebay and ziptie it to the mesh grill on the bumper. Hopefully its not low enough to be scraped.

Shake 08-22-2007 12:47 AM

My car was bought in Michigan where front plates aren't needed and I found a plate braket holder in the trunk. it was still in plastic. :nix: Your car probably didn't come with one, i'm guessing

CarGuru 08-22-2007 12:57 AM

I don't remember seeing one in the trunk, but I will look again, although I like the zip-tie idea, may go that route or find a piece of plastic I can screw it to from behind through the mesh grill area.

-Ryan

stephensong 08-22-2007 07:10 AM

In the first thread in this section there is a picture of a W204 with the plate bracket in place.

bostonmarc 08-22-2007 08:01 AM

Go to page 2 and see the post titled:
IN STOCK: Flagship Motorcars in MA

jrct9454 08-22-2007 09:48 AM

Good grief. Insist that the dealer install it. Period.

Our dealer in Portland OR asked first, but I insisted it be installed before we drove off. Have both plates on now.

The bracket is in the trunk, and while you can do it yourself, I see no reason why you should.

And my philosophy on this is, why give the police an excuse to write you a citation? It's just silly.

TEAShea 08-22-2007 11:39 AM

Plate

At lest on a new C, there is a reasonable place for a front plate - unlike a lot of cars - like an SLK.

I don't like front plates but on this car it does not look at bad as on many cars.

You dealer deserves some credit for not automatically putting on front plates. Some people are willing to take the risk (like me).

However, if you want it on, they do have an obligation to put the bracket on for you.

TEAShea
from Nebraska

Kase1 08-22-2007 09:21 PM

here's a few pic of with the front plate..

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a few picture of my c300 with the front plate..

CarGuru 08-22-2007 10:03 PM

Kase1 Thanks for the picture, it doesn't look so bad with plate on a sport. I like the color of your car too. I did a search and looked on "The official picture thread" and I didn't see a sport with the plate, just the luxury which the front end is substantially different as to not get a very good idea. At any rate I think I will leave it off until I get the first "fix-it" ticket then have the thing mounted.

-Ryan

Z O O R O P A 08-22-2007 10:38 PM

screw that I'll pay for the traffic tickets before I put holes in the bumper

the state can eat my shorts on this one! :D

rocketchris 08-24-2007 02:55 AM

I had to sign a waiver at Keyes European here in SoCal just so they wouldn't install the front plate...

CarGuru 08-31-2007 03:08 AM

TTT : I did a little research on the net and found this product, wonder if it would work or they sell a kit for a W204? This is great if you don't want to drill holes.

www.gominigo.com/18545.html

-Ryan