C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New C vs E90 3er no BS...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Porsche, Mercedes & MINI
New C vs E90 3er no BS...

probably I was one of the first ones in the world to get a W204 despite delaying my delivery 30 days due to dealer stupidity... but anyway... despite giving my opinion on the car here and there I could not get an in-depth opinion vs the current bimmer 3 series because I did not have access to one I could drive for a few days... yet my friend bought a new 325i manual... in reality its a 3.0L with 200 and something hp and just like my C somehow it gets a downgraded rear badge as mine is a C280 but is also 3.0L...

anyway I thought the bimmer would kill the C being manual and all but ooohhhh surprise... it was slower... it felt slower by far and heavier just a tad... ceratinly smaller in the inside... and despite a somewhat more feel in the handling (not saying necesarely better) department the bimmer disapointed big time...

of course I know whats coming... "yeah, you just shelled the dough for the C and bad mouth the 3er" well I confess to be an ex-bimmer lover... seriously in the 90's I drove everything from M3 to 850, well only those two actually but I had my fair share of bimmer ownership... I had a 5er for a while but the coupes suited me better... so with that out of the way... here is my final opinion...

for those thinking on the C I can tell you is a very fine car... where the complicated outside Bangled lines of the bimmer don't flow so well they do in the new C... its beautiful... inside the bimmer carries better dash materials but thats it the dash everything else is up to par in the C and the seats are better in the C... space is a great deal here too, where the bimmer feels cramped the C does well in this department... driving... well the C feels completely different specially if you come from either MB or even BMW... the first sensation is weird in the C, somewhat jap, somewhat FWD, and it feels light, too light for those coming from previous MB's... but after a while it makes sense, its comfotable yet tout... the bimmer gets no complaints in the driving dept at all, its on top of the game but its slower, really... only engine sounds saves the bimmer from throwing it to the trash... just kidding... engine sounds is nice, nice, nice in the bimmer... the c is quiet as expected... not a bad thing at all either... apples to apples I take the C... I took it and now that I test drove the bimmer don't regret it at all... really

for those who think I maight be a troll or something I drive other stuff too...

and my latest addition...

the point is I know my cars...

Last edited by Frissen; 08-23-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C70/C350
great review, just one question .........

why would you live in Houston when you could live in Austin?!
Old 08-23-2007, 03:03 PM

Porsche, Mercedes & MINI
Originally Posted by Z O O R O P A
great review, just one question .........

why would you live in Houston when you could live in Austin?!
good one I was born in Houston raised in Mexico... I went back for college as Houston was our business base in the USA... right now I still use it as my base... somehow its easier to get in and out of specially connecting wise... but Austin is great...
Old 08-23-2007, 03:20 PM

Waiting for W204 Facelift
interesting !

Originally Posted by Frissen
probably I was one of the first ones in the world to get a W204 ...

first of all , what is your car's Model Number, = C 280 ?

and How did you buy - in Pictures Gallery first picture is yours -before Europeans ?

Last edited by ismeto; 08-23-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:37 PM

Porsche, Mercedes & MINI
Originally Posted by ismeto
first of all , what is your car's Model Number, = C 280 ?

and How did you buy - in Pictures Gallery first picture is yours -before Europeans ?
Actually my W204 was badged "C280" but it carries correct new generation 3.0L

Nothing matches here in Mexico, its called the "sport" but its actually an Avantgarde and its badged "Avantgarde" on the sides.

Look for earlier post to see whole story, although I don't believe I have given the whole story...

Somehow mexicans get cars first... when the F599 was basically none existant we had couple sitting at local showroom... later they had the world premier with Jean Todt took place... beats me...

anyway I was the first to get the W204 at my local dealer... but due to MB Mexico stupidity I declined purchase... basically they told me 3 models were coming... Classic, Elegance and Sport w AMG kit... when the cars arrived no Sports w AMG showed up at the official presentation in Huixquilucan... I panic... they tried to tell me the "Avantgarde" were the sport... well maybe sans the AMG kit which was what I wanted in the first place so I declined to purchase... my car didn't make it to the dealer anyway, someone took it in Mexico City... but with not many choices in that range I called another dealer and put a deposit for next allocation... my local dealer panic and offered a discount... so I went with local... finally took delivery late may where the first cars was to be delivered late april... 30 days later and some cash in my pocket I owned it...

I should have posted a reply where I am a big time mogul and I get everything before anyone... je, je, je that would have been fun but not my style anyway....

before europenas I don't know... one of the first in North America yes... and Mexico BTW is North America in the continent sense anyway...
Old 08-23-2007, 05:39 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
Sorry to tell you the bad news but your car has no AMG kit. Check the website below.

http://www.mercedes-benz.de/content/...ebspecial.html

Try play around on exterior tab and toggle between AMG and no AMG kit. Note the following:

1. AMG kit has round fog with no chrome trim. Non-AMG has oval with double chrome trim just like your car.

2. Note the more aggressive front bumper below fog lamps, rear bumpers and side skirt in AMG kit. Your car lacks those.

So your car may not have sport suspension (that depends on country specs).

Hope you still enjoy your ride but clearly you are screwed by your dealer.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:47 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
Check this pic. It has AMG kit. Compare front bumpers around the corner, fog lamps and side skirts.

Name:  canadian_C300.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  3.5 KB

Last edited by QQQ; 08-23-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:13 PM

Porsche, Mercedes & MINI
Originally Posted by QQQ
Sorry to tell you the bad news but your car has no AMG kit. Check the website below.

http://www.mercedes-benz.de/content/...ebspecial.html

Try play around on exterior tab and toggle between AMG and no AMG kit. Note the following:

1. AMG kit has round fog with no chrome trim. Non-AMG has oval with double chrome trim just like your car.

2. Note the more aggressive front bumper below fog lamps, rear bumpers and side skirt in AMG kit. Your car lacks those.

So your car may not have sport suspension (that depends on country specs).

Hope you still enjoy your ride but clearly you are screwed by your dealer.
yeah I know... mine is an Avantgarde... but they invoice it as Sport... I wonder when the REAL sport will arrive...

Avantgarde does not carry sport suspension it has its own setting and is high like the Elegance...
Old 08-23-2007, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
The rest of the world gets the Classic, Elegance, and Avantgarde like Frissen said. The Avantgarde and Luxury have the option of an AMG Sport Package in many markets, I guess not Mexico yet. But in the US all Sport models have the AMG package. Also the C280 in the ROW is the same as the C300 in the US. MBUSA is making it so that the new models represent their engine displacement more accurately. ex: S550 = S500 rest of world.