MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   $775 delivery charge built into MSRP or not? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/207654-775-delivery-charge-built-into-msrp-not.html)

oblu 08-28-2007 04:53 PM

$775 delivery charge built into MSRP or not?

All literature I can find, web site and brochure, states that msrp includes $775 destination charge. Dealer is insisting that it's msrp + $775 and won't budge. I'm thinking it's more of the, new hot item profit game but figured I better ask around.

uberwgn 08-28-2007 05:10 PM

I thought the destination charge would be clearly shown as a line item entry on the window sticker. Do you see it on the window sticker?

uberwgn 08-28-2007 05:14 PM

Monroney sticker:

A window sticker. A US federal law requires that all cars sold in the USA display a Monroney sticker which is required to specify the manufacturer's suggested retail price for the vehicle and all its factory-installed options, a destination charge for shipping from final assembly point (or port of importation) to the dealer, and EPA fuel economy estimates; most dealers add a second window sticker that lists accessories installed at the dealership, as well as other charges

N200PF 08-28-2007 05:21 PM

It was NOT included in the price of our C300 and was a seperate line item on the invoice from the dealer when we were getting quotes. However, we didn't pay it because we're now doing Euro delivery.

- Peter

stephensong 08-28-2007 05:38 PM

It is listed on my window sticker as a seperate line item.

MBTex 08-28-2007 05:46 PM

It depends where you look. The MSRP on the sticker will include destination as a separate line item. On the MBUSA website, though, the MSRP is quoted with destination already figured into it.

This is why MSRP for the base models on the MBUSA website are all exactly $775 higher than then sticker base price.

It really doesn't matter how they do it, the price is the same.

oblu 08-28-2007 05:50 PM

Sorry to be confusing. I know it's a seperate line item on the sticker. But the msrp that the dealer is giving me matches the msrp listed on MB's build it now site. Except that MB's build it now says the $775 is included in that msrp.

So MB build it now says MSRP: 37275, Total Price: 37985. The dealer is saying MSRP: 37985 + 775 for delivery.

Not physically at the dealer to see the sticker, I'm working with the internet guy via email.

No matter how many times I point to MB's website or the brochure that lists the same thing, he's claiming msrp of 37985 + shipping.

GPI 08-28-2007 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by oblu (Post 2387542)
Sorry to be confusing. I know it's a seperate line item on the sticker. But the msrp that the dealer is giving me matches the msrp listed on MB's build it now site. Except that MB's build it now says the $775 is included in that msrp.

So MB build it now says MSRP: 37275, Total Price: 37985. The dealer is saying MSRP: 37985 + 775 for delivery.

Not physically at the dealer to see the sticker, I'm working with the internet guy via email.

No matter how many times I point to MB's website or the brochure that lists the same thing, he's claiming msrp of 37985 + shipping.

I think you forgot to include the additional $710 charge for a metallic paint. That's why it is 37985 + 775 for delivery. :)

MBTex 08-28-2007 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by GPI (Post 2387658)
I think you forgot to include the additional $710 charge for a metallic paint. That's why it is 37985 + 775 for delivery. :)

That could be one solution to your problem...

If not, I'd print out the MBUSA site page and show where it clearly states destination is included and insist that he either waive the charge or reduce the price of the car by 775.

Although that 710 metallic paint charge would make sense.

oblu 08-28-2007 10:30 PM

Nope. He's saying 37985 + 775 for delivery. Then the paint and other options I want.

No matter what link I give him he's still claiming that's the price. So I'll just cut him loose and go somewhere else.

Peyton 08-28-2007 11:27 PM

totally what I would do. I went about 500 miles elsewhere :-P

MBTex 08-29-2007 10:03 AM

yeah he is clearly going against the mbusa website. although the site is clear that "actual dealer prices may vary" i think it isn't unreasonable at all to ask for the website price

CarGuru 08-29-2007 11:19 AM

It’s hilarious how people will drive all over the place trying to negotiate the price of a car, I wonder if they would do the same for a gallon of milk? $700 is fair when you think of how far the car comes, also think about all the packaging that is affixed to the cars body protecting it etc.. At any rate $700 would be insane to pay for per se a Toyota built in California, being sold in California those. In all fairness our C300 sport is the first car I paid full sticker for, it’s also the first car I’ve been in a financial position where having the right car exactly like I wanted it was more important than getting $20 dollars off or $2000 dollars off. No thanks I would rather be enjoying the car, and be the one of the first ones to have a new C it’s also been the most enjoyable buying experience yet.

-Ryan

MBTex 08-29-2007 12:36 PM

That isn't the point. No one is saying the destination charge isn't fair, they just don't want to be charged the same destination charge twice. Nothing wrong with that.

Peyton 08-29-2007 12:48 PM

Here's the point, the guy doesn't want to pay the $700 twice. Its the principle of the thing. Makes sense to me.

I was going on vacation anyway so I got to shop around. PLUS, the car I want has to be built to suit so I will have to wait either way.

CarGuru 08-29-2007 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Peyton (Post 2388669)
Here's the point, the guy doesn't want to pay the $700 twice. Its the principle of the thing. Makes sense to me.

I was going on vacation anyway so I got to shop around. PLUS, the car I want has to be built to suit so I will have to wait either way.

Ok now I got it, it seemed like he was complaining about having to pay the destination charge. Makes sense, I just can’t believe the dealer has the guts to try to charge a customer twice for it.

-Ryan

oblu 08-29-2007 01:16 PM

Hahaha, no I wasn't beating him up on destination. I buy a new german car every 18mo or so; I'm used to the destination. I just wasn't going to line his pocket with another $700+ dollars over msrp either.

And because I buy every 18-24mo I also don't pony up for top dollar either. Cars that I plan on keeping, it's not worth the effort. But short term, a thousand here or there adds up quick. Plus I'm used to BMW and Audi. They quickly move off msrp without any hesitation and "negotiations" usually last all of 10min before you've got a car at $1000 over invoice.