MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Quick Park? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/211247-quick-park.html)

timmys4 09-24-2007 10:50 PM

Quick Park?

if you build your own c class, under accessories you can get quick park. it looks to be the same as parktronic.

can anyone confirm this? does anyone have it? does it offer the same features as parktronic, such as the sensor beeps and the visual display?

Peyton 09-24-2007 11:09 PM

I believe its only the sensor beeps as you say. I did order it though. the thing is, I had to back the car up on my test drive and the car really is so compact and you can 'feel' it so well its kind of unnecessary. I got it because I have a terrible habit of putting my bumper too far over parking space dividers and pulling the bumper cover off or plastic parts below off.

;-)

falvor88 09-25-2007 12:38 AM

My is being installed right now actually. Will report back when its done to let you know how it is. I'm sure its just like any other parking sensor though.

Only one thing down side to "quick park". Since its a dealer installed option, there is no kill switch to turn it off if you so desire. It'll just beep forever if you have the car in reverse and is close to an object.

Kieffer 09-25-2007 11:19 AM

My dealer had a QuickPark package in stock when I ordered my C350. I took a look at it. It's not the same as Parktronic. The sensors will not look like the almost-invisible ones on the new S-Class and on Euro-market C-Class cars. That said, if the sensors are painted, they should blend in quite well. The package I saw was much better than an older QuickPark version which had enormous sensors!

Please let me know how you like it - and if possible, post a photo.

timmys4 09-25-2007 12:45 PM

is there a digital readout inside the car? one on the dash and one on the rear part of headliner?

or does it just use sound?

i hate just sound

maytag 09-25-2007 01:33 PM

We were going to order the QuickPark on our C350 but decided to hold off after we found out it was a Dealer installed option. I was curious to know how it would look like so the sales manager walked us over to speak with the service dept. The service person explained in detail how it would be installed and what it would look like then said we could just hold off and wait till they get the pkg installed on either a customer's order or one on the lot and they will call so I could have a look. Our car isnt expected until mid Dec so decided to wait and see. I personally have a similar setup in our Lincoln Aviator which just beeps, been using it for years and prefer it rather than the Lexus backup cam setup. However the Lincoln has the option to shutoff the backup sensing at the touch of a button, handy for when towing a trailer or when I have the bike rack installed. If its true that MBs QuickPark option doesnt have the ability to turn it off, not sure if that would be a problem since I doubt anyone is going to be towing a trailer or installing a bike rack on their C-Class. For the 4+ years that I've been driving the Lincoln, I cant think of any other reasons where I needed to shut it off.

maytag 09-25-2007 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by falvor88 (Post 2425994)
My is being installed right now actually. Will report back when its done to let you know how it is. I'm sure its just like any other parking sensor though.

Only one thing down side to "quick park". Since its a dealer installed option, there is no kill switch to turn it off if you so desire. It'll just beep forever if you have the car in reverse and is close to an object.

When you get the car back please post a few pics of the QuickPark sensors (closeups if you can). I'm also interested in this feature but am curious about how the fit and finish of the installation will look. -thanks

falvor88 09-25-2007 02:01 PM

It is just sound. No lights no indicators of any kind.

For the rear the kill switch is probably not really necesary at all. since the sound will go off only when its in Reverse. Even if you're towing or have a bike rack, it'll only be beeping if you're backing up. So it shouldn't be a problem. However, they can install the 'quick park' in the front also (according to the dealer). If its in the front, I think a kill switch is very necesary. Otherwise if you're stuck in a bumper to bumper traffic.. the noise will drive you nuts!

I should have it back tonight. I'll try to take a few shots of them and put them up.

falvor88 09-25-2007 10:48 PM

Ok fellas,

Just got the car back from having the "quick park" back up sensors installed.

Here are some pictures of what they look like.

As you can see, there are only 2 sensors. The dealer said 4 is too sensitive and 2 is perfect for the C class. If it was the ML/M/G/R class, they would put 4.

Upon seeing it. My reaction is probably the same as most of you after you've scrolled down to see the pics. Apparently this is as flush as it gets. At least the paint did match. To me it looks very "dealer installed"...

As for how well it works? It seems to work ok. It'll start beeping when something is near and the closer you get to it the shorter the beeps will be. Until you are less than 1 ft from an object it'll beep continusouly. The sound is very high pitched. Probably louder than I preferred.

If it was up to me, I'd never get it. However... I think its necessary for the lovely (yet not so skilled) wife. :p:

Hope this helps those that are considering it.

http://www.dawyeah.com/images/c350/pdc1.jpg

http://www.dawyeah.com/images/c350/pdc2.jpg

http://www.dawyeah.com/images/c350/pdc3.jpg

Bokx_350 09-26-2007 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the pics. I have some comments/questions:

1. First of all, these look nothing like the quickpark on the mbusa.com page (http://www.mbusa.com/byo/frameset.js...ngModel=C350WZ) . The ones on the page look much smaller and better.

2. The picture on the page has 4 sensors. Did you try to see if your sensors will detect a small pole (like a small tree) right in the middle of the bumper at 1 foot distance?

3. How much was the total for your installation. They’re $450 on the web page, but I think that’s for 4 sensors, not 2; so did you get a discount? How much paint/installation?

Thanks!

Kieffer 09-26-2007 11:38 AM

Here's my question - WHY didn't they put the sensors in the horizontal indentation immediately BELOW where they installed the sensors (the location shown in the brochure!)? That way they would've blended in much better. If it's not possible to put these in that indentation, I'm going to cancel my order. I need these, as I have various titanium plates in my neck and cannot fully turn my head for parallel parking.

Thank you so much for posting these photos!!!

falvor88 09-26-2007 03:10 PM

You guys raised some good questions.

I've already send an email to the dealer asking them:

1. why didn't they isntall the sensor in the groove?
2. why did I pay full price ($800 including labor, took about 1.5 days) for only 2 sensors?

For those that are curious. I will do some "tests" tonight to see how much will the two sensors actually detect. Obviously I've had no problems with walls or other cars so far. I'll try it w/ bikes, small trees, or just some random small object at various points to see if 2 is really enough.

I'll keep you all posted.

BTW, anyone out there have asked their dealers about this option? Now I'm curious whether my dealer is trying to pull a fast one on me with this Quickpark install?

timmys4 09-26-2007 03:14 PM

my biggest question is why is mbusa acting like idiots and offering quickpark? why cant they be like everyone else and offer parktronic?

i know they are doing this as a marketing scheme and will offer it in the years to come, along with keyless go.

Peyton 09-26-2007 03:15 PM

Your dealer should pay for a new bumper for you and get you the 4 as advertised. Otherwise thats false advertisement and you can EASILY take them to court.

< spoken from a lawyer's kid.

And don't listen to this 'well every dealer is different and there is no set protocol... thats bs, either they do the work as advertised, or they pay for you a new bumper.

OR you end up liking it :p:

Rick Hunter 09-26-2007 03:53 PM

falvor88, thanks for posting up the pics. I'll be curious as to the system's accuracy with just 2 sensors.

I agree with the others: I think they installed it in the wrong position on the bumper (vs. on the brochure), and they should have put all 4 in for the price you paid. $800 is a little excessive for just audible sensors. Is the C-Class width really that much "thinner" than the bigger vehicles?

I hope you get the right answers from your dealer. I hate seeing people getting fleeced. Funny thing about QuickPark... my dealer didn't know what it was either when I asked. But it IS well documented online and on their Accessories Brochure

Kieffer 09-26-2007 04:19 PM

I went to my dealer's body shop and told the manager that I will cancel my order if this is how Quickpark will be installed on my upcoming car. I printed your photos for them to see. They said that the QP system is designed for four sensors - they've put an older version on SLKs and MLs before and said that it is designed to work with four sensor operating TOGETHER! As for why they weren't installed as shown in the brochure (in the horizontal indentation), they are going to pull the bumper off a demo car and see if there is, by chance, a bracing behind that indentation which would block part of the senors that are behind the bumper. The body shop's manager told me that, if there is such a brace, they saw no reason why small holes could not be drilled or indentations made to make it fit in that space. It would just increase the labor / installation cost.

He also said that he wanted to order a QP system and see what the sensors looked like. He said that, while it may be the angle at which you took those photos, those sensor look thicker than the ones he has installed in the past. After he said that, I wondered if you really got a true QP system, or if you got one of those cheap, 2-sensor things that you can buy off Ebay for $25.

He said he should have an answer for me in a couple days.

I agree that your dealer owes you a new bumper, four sensors, and at least an explanation as to why they are not installed in the location shown in the accessory brochure.

My thought - if they really used the QP system, they'll use those extra two sensor on someone else's car and save a few $ on the next parts order.

If I have to live at the dealer's body shop while mine is done, I will. I'm that insane about this. And shame on MB for thinking that the US either does not need or would not order Parktronic. Even my Jeep has a factory Parktronic system.

falvor88 09-26-2007 05:30 PM

While I wait for a response from my dealer, I decided to call another to find out more about this "quickpark" option.

According to the 2nd dealer, the kit does come with 4 sensors. I also asked him where would they be installed. He said by looking at the installation instructions it will be installed just above where the groove is on the rear bumper. So if that IS indeed the case, then perhaps the location where my got installed is "correct"? I also asked how much it would be to have it installed. I was told that installed it would be 1200 including labor but not painted?!?

I also placed a call to mercedes but have to leave a message. Hope I'll hear back from them about this as well.

Bokx_350 09-26-2007 06:55 PM

My dealer is charging me $350 labor for the ipod instalation (labor only) for 3.5 hours labor.

It doesnt make sense if you paid $800, because the quickpark alone costs $450, so you would be paying $350 for 1.5 days labor and paint? This is even more facts to say you got a $29 ebaypark.

Also, Does it lowers the stereo volume when you go to reverse (as any warning beep on the car would i.e. driving with the emergency brakes on)? Does the genuine quickpark lowers the volume?

falvor88 09-26-2007 11:08 PM

I guess we'll see what my dealer says... I really hate to think that they would do such a thing as "installing none-geunuine MB" accessories on my car. They are quite a large dealership and has a decent reputation around the area.

As for the effectiveness of the sensors that I've received. Two sensor does seem to do the trick. I placed serveral items (garbage bins, 2x3x2 boxes, a skinny person, a fat person, and a pushbroom) around the rear bumper and they all were detected. I placed items as far away as 5ft and it was detected. if its within 3-4 feet seems to work fine.

However, I placed a smaller box about 12" tall from the ground about 1 ft away and it didn't set the sensors off. Also if I place just a broom stick by itself right between the two sensors it didn't seem to detect it either. fNo matter the distance. It will set it off though if its closer to the sensor.

So aside from something as skinny as a broomstick or something that's close and very low. It seemed ok.

How does it compare to say the PDC from my old X5? It doesn't. Not even close. Does it do the job though? I'd say it will do.

LIke I said though. If you don't need it. Don't bother with 'quickpark'. UNless all you're worried about is big objects then its ok.:nix:

Anyways, will keep you all updated as to what my dealer says.

rs1985 04-16-2008 01:22 AM

sorry to ask
is it for sure Mercedes parts ?
It looks like my after market ones

rs1985 07-08-2008 04:43 PM

maybe i ask what is the status of this issue ?

Bokx_350 07-08-2008 05:19 PM

I decided to go with the dealer's quick park. Paid a total of $1k. It works very good; id give it an 8 out of 10 because the beep becomes steady (the final warning meaning "stop!") way too early; about 1.5 ft away.

The big issue for me is how it looks in the rear bumper (and yes, they did install it on the right spots). You can tell is a dealer installed option from a mile away.

In conclusion, I'd recommend people get the sensors, but if you have a cheaper option, go for it since there is no difference between an aftermarket and the quick park.

451/443=EW 07-08-2008 08:32 PM

The Quick Park should be in the groove and it does stick out about 2.5mm not as nice as flush but not that bad. Also it should be 4 sensors.
I was ignorant to thnk why does anyone want quick park on a C but now im the monkeys uncal. One of you said you have plates in your head or somthing and it is hard for you. I will not judge so quick next time.:bow:

Oh Cool 07-08-2008 08:59 PM

Mine are installed in the grove, 4 sensors, work very well and as described in previous posts steady beep when you get within 1 & 1/2 foot from contact. I like that it gives me a good feel of how close in am at that point. Also the outer sensors seem to detect at a 90 degree angle and sense objects to the right or left side of the car. I'm very satisfied with the Dealer installed Quick Park.

2nice4me 08-23-2008 01:34 AM

I had mine installed by the dealer as well (CDN $900) and am very happy with the install. it also detects items on the side of the car (pillars etc). I was looking for window tinting yesterday and saw this site http://www.n-motionauto.net/auto_products_parking.html which offers aftermarket parking assist, 50% less then MB but not sure how their work is.