MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   The $50,000 Question (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/211251-50-000-question.html)

Peyton 09-24-2007 11:06 PM

The $50,000 Question

Hi everyone, if you've read any of my posts, I ordered a black on black C350 fully loaded and with tax came to $50k.

Yikes I know. The worst part is, October 23 would be the earliest they could build it, then 5 weeks to get it here from Germany.

So my question (thanks MBTex for opening this can of worms!:p:) what should I do? What cars would you recommend in this price range, and why. The CTS is out. I am open to anything, even the ML class because I thought it would be nice to get off the ground, and the 320 CDI gets better gas mileage than the C350.

Only catch, it needs to be new. Who would keep what I currently have on order?

As far as looks go, C350 is perfect for me. I also like all the techie stuff. There are just so many options. Its really only me driving/riding in the car, but I don't know how long I'll have the car...most likely 2-3 years. Would be nice to have room to move things/buy things (tv).

Thoughts? Thanks!

falvor88 09-25-2007 12:49 AM

So you're saying that you're considering something else inplace of the C350 that you've ordered?

Sounds to me like you really want the 350. If that's the case.. I say wait for it since you'll get exactly what you want. Otherwise if you're impatient like me. Just keep an eye out at several dealers' inventories. As soon as they get something close enough.. go for it!

The way I see it. If you like it enough to order it. That's probably the car you'll be most happy with.

J.C.Holo 09-25-2007 02:32 AM

for $50K, why don't you start looking at the CLK?

Peyton 09-25-2007 08:22 AM

Thanks falvor...good advice.

JC I would, but I have a big problem personally buying a car that is going to be replaced with a new model in less than a year. The round design language is out for the new more aggressive tone. Set by the ML, GL, S, and now C.

Thanks though

MBTex 09-25-2007 10:33 AM

Well Peyton I think you know my opinions on the subject.

Can you wait until late Nov.? If so then do it because it is obviously the car you want.

If you can't wait, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Audi all make good cars in that price range. They get ragged on in this forum because they aren't MB's, but they aren't that bad.

Kieffer 09-25-2007 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Peyton (Post 2425858)
I am open to anything, even the ML class because I thought it would be nice to get off the ground, and the 320 CDI gets better gas mileage than the C350.

We have a 2007 ML320 CDI. It's amazing. We routinely get 22-24mpg IN TOWN! On the highway, we've had tank averages from 26.5 - 33mpg. One time, I filled up in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I reset the mileage and drove home to Denver. The ML got 39.1!!! I even took a photo of it.

We had two previous-generation MLs. This one is so much better in every single way. So far, we've been impressed with the build quality - especially compared to our previous MLs.

Ormond2004 09-25-2007 11:10 AM

Cadillac CTS

I know that I might get flamed, but the Cadillac CTS is very nice. I drove a 2008 with the 3.6 DI engine and was impressed. It stickered at $46K.

The navigation/sound system is first rate. You can record live radio broadcasts, etcetera. The cooled seats worked well.

The negatives include the cheesy sun shade for the pano roof (would skip this option) and poor rear visability. Obviously, it doesn't have lots of cargo capacity.

It is worth a look. :)

Peyton 09-25-2007 12:07 PM

No flaming from me, thats a very decent car, I just thought the C350 is a lot better 'feeling' and better packaged car. As for the ML wow, thats amazing!

I'm nuts, I just need to be happy with what I have coming and forget about all this. I'm a 21 y/o bachlor, I need to get a fun small car, not a big SUV just to haul myself around.

Thanks all. I thought I'd get people saying 'get a lotus elise!' which is nothing of what I want.

Thanks all.

MBTex 09-25-2007 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ormond2004 (Post 2426440)
I know that I might get flamed, but the Cadillac CTS is very nice.

No flaming here either...the Caddy is a nice car. I like the look of the C better personally though.

Shake 09-26-2007 12:14 AM

Peyton, how many miles a year do you drive. If you don't drive too much, I would just lease the car that you order. You can enjoy it now, and then when you are bored in 2-3 years, then switch the car up. But it sounds like you are into the more modern cars, and the c350 sounds perfect for you. At least during the first year there will be very few C's out on the roads and you can be unique and not have a car that you see on every corner. I'm not a big fan of the new CTS, but other car i would reccomend is BMW 335i, Acura TL-type-s, new infinity G35 :)

Untertürkheim 09-26-2007 08:44 AM

Like flavor said, if you cared enough to build it, it's the car you want. The question is, why not take european delivery if you're having it custom built. You will save 7% and they take off the delivery charge. Then you at least get to drive it in it's native land and enjoy it sooner (Plus try the Shell V-Power 100 octane). You'll have the car here at the same time, and basically get a free vacation.

Peyton 09-26-2007 12:01 PM

ahh but I have to work. I'm going to disney world around Christmas time for 2 weeks then 2 vactions next summer so I don't have time to just go to europe. Plus, it takes at least 6 months to get it with ED.

Thanks shake, the TL is just too old and sore on the eyes any more, not to mention FWD, the new G is not my taste when it comes to styling...to swoopy...and the 335 is everywhere and I HATE the back end of it. interior not as well laid out as the C either.

Well that decides it, thanks a lot everyone, I'll just wait it out. Thanks a lot

:)

MBTex 09-26-2007 01:11 PM

Welcome back to the MB Peyton...we almost lost you there.

Peyton 09-26-2007 03:11 PM

And YOU sparked the red herring :p:

Just kidding

xlr8tin 09-26-2007 04:46 PM

Get the Charger SRT8...That's what I'm looking into :y

S420merc 09-26-2007 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by xlr8tin (Post 2428988)
Get the Charger SRT8...That's what I'm looking into :y

I dont sugest you go the SRT8 route unless u have a really good Chrysler Dealer next to your house who has sold and serviced alot of SRT8 cars and has a good rep for service.

xlr8tin 09-26-2007 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by S420merc (Post 2429009)
I dont sugest you go the SRT8 route unless u have a really good Chrysler Dealer next to your house who has sold and serviced alot of SRT8 cars and has a good rep for service.

I feel the same way about Mercedes

MBTex 09-26-2007 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Peyton (Post 2428777)
And YOU sparked the red herring :p:

Just kidding

Sorry buddy...at least you now know I don't work for MBUSA...

am2121 09-26-2007 10:33 PM

I know the feeling waiting for car you ordered. I went thru same but gave up the leather seats and got everything else and a car that was in port. I am very happy I did so. Very satisfied with the car and I can tell you both at work and home everyone is telling me how nice the car is. Ride and performance is great plus I got a free dinner coupon from my dealership.

Peyton 09-26-2007 10:51 PM

MB...hahaha, never thought you did, just thought you were a MB stalker (tm)

Am2121, I had the SAME offer, if I did that I would have to wait til just October 1. But I thought I'd be beside myself knowing I have a relatively expensive car with plastic seats. My Jetta has real leather!

Anyway, quick questions, what are your feelings on off-the-line performance? Does it throw you back in the seat? I didn't feel good about pushing the tester because the salesman was right there and seemed very protective of his 'baby' he kept calling 'her'.

So off the line, (and after you've had it for a little bit it is sure to open up).

Yeah and I guess all my questions are about acceleration. I know this is no viper, but how sure footed would you say it is, and is there a point where you feel there is a lack of power available, you wish it was faster, or is it just effortless acceleration just about anywhere on the powerband.

THANKS
I would have love to just give it to 'her' on the test drive.

PS, I got the 18" too, rough ride? Still decently smooth? My tester had those and I couldn't tell because we were on very nice roads.