MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Does the Gracenote database recognize cds you burn at home? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/211481-does-gracenote-database-recognize-cds-you-burn-home.html)

MBfan21 09-26-2007 11:46 AM

Does the Gracenote database recognize cds you burn at home?

Will the names of the tracks still be listed on the screen if it's a burned cd of different songs? Or does it have to be an actual cd bought at the store?

ScottyGams 09-26-2007 06:46 PM

well gracenote technology is designed to read track names in their "redbook" form (read: all store purchased cds) If your burning application can duplicate the "redbook" information, you would be able to replicate track names on the disc, and then there should be no problem for the Hard drive to pick it up. Otherwise, no...

stephensong 09-29-2007 10:32 AM

Question, when I am playing a CD which is a new release the name of the tracks are not displayed; however, when I play any CD that I burned the names play back. Does this make sense?

stealtheo 09-30-2007 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by stephensong (Post 2433335)
Question, when I am playing a CD which is a new release the name of the tracks are not displayed; however, when I play any CD that I burned the names play back. Does this make sense?

The car uses Gracenote database to find the albumn info. I am looking into how to update the database. I see that when you update the nav it will also update the database. The nav updates will be installed via DVD

Kieffer 09-30-2007 10:52 AM

If your home CDs are burned with "CD-Text" checked on your burning software, does the C's system recognize that text?

ATSOBE 09-30-2007 11:06 AM

Well hello there. Im not sur eif ill answer your ? but I will give you the feed backform my experinece . I drove the c 350 08 model. I inserted a disk burned in mp3 format it read name and title of artist not all burn disk software let you do this i use nero for burning on my computer. The car i drove had the navigation package. If you want to lsten to mp3 you need to use nero to burn them or any other software close to nero. I still havnt bought this car in my area they still dont carry it with nav package in c350 but i been reading on this car alot and have logged in about 30 min of driving the car so any other ? i can help youlet me know im new here too

Kieffer 09-30-2007 12:56 PM

Just one note to add to this - if you use iTunes, even if you check the option to include CD Text, it rarely works. I, too, use Nero for this very reason and it's never let me down. All our cars can read the CD Text if we use Nero - even in our Z4, which usually only reads such information when certain stars are aligned just so, and you say an incantation in German (but throwing in a South Carolina accent here and there, since that's where it was born)! :)

ScottyGams 09-30-2007 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kieffer (Post 2434707)
Just one note to add to this - if you use iTunes, even if you check the option to include CD Text, it rarely works. I, too, use Nero for this very reason and it's never let me down. All our cars can read the CD Text if we use Nero - even in our Z4, which usually only reads such information when certain stars are aligned just so, and you say an incantation in German (but throwing in a South Carolina accent here and there, since that's where it was born)! :)

NICE FIND!

I wonder if we can upload sonds via the PCMIA slot? that way I don't need to keep wasting a disc when I want to load the newest mp3s...