Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
Safety items not available in the USA >

Safety items not available in the USA

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Old 09-29-2007, 03:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
06 C 350 2014 GLK350

Since Mercedes has always been noted for both active and passive safety items in their designs, I wonder why they arent offering the following as standard or options on the W204's in the USA?

Parktronic
Curve Tracking Lighting
Strobing Stop Lights
Driver's Knee Airbag

Then, there is the questions of engines. I feel much more in contol with my 06 C350 than I did in a C320. The instant response with my 350, without having to use a lot of throttle, is a very positive thing. Why will MBUSA offer a 350 Sport and not a Luxury model is beyond me.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 C350 Sport, 2007 ML320 CDI
My guess is that the exchange rate between the US Dollar and the Euro is mostly to blame - and the Euro hit an all-time high this past week, I believe. So they are trying to keep the price down as much as possible. I guess they don't realize that some of us would pay for these extra items, even with the dreadful exchange rate.

As for the strobing brake lights, I'm not sure if those are legal in the US. I know that brake lights that get brighter in a panic stop are legal, but I'm not sure we allow the flashing lights. But if you've seen a video of them in action, they have to be effective -they really get your attention!
Old 09-29-2007, 06:06 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Flashing brake lights

Keep in mind that the flashing brake lights activate only when Brake Assist is operating and they revert to steady when below a certain speed which (by my memory) is about 30mph. After all, you wouldn't want to be stuck in traffic behind a car whose lights are flashing madly.

The question is, then, whether this feature can be activated and/or some control unit or other can be added.

We shall see as time goes on.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2007 E63
Originally Posted by MB-JIM View Post
Since Mercedes has always been noted for both active and passive safety items in their designs, I wonder why they arent offering the following as standard or options on the W204's in the USA?

Parktronic
Curve Tracking Lighting
Strobing Stop Lights
Driver's Knee Airbag

Then, there is the questions of engines. I feel much more in contol with my 06 C350 than I did in a C320. The instant response with my 350, without having to use a lot of throttle, is a very positive thing. Why will MBUSA offer a 350 Sport and not a Luxury model is beyond me.
Curve tracking lighting - Curve Illuminating Bi-xenon headlights? This is not available on the C-Class? So the only direction they move is up and down for the auto-leveling?

The stop lights flashing debuted on the S-Class, but I'm not sure if they made it into the production US models.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
W115 - W210 - S211 - C209
Originally Posted by Kieffer View Post
My guess is that the exchange rate between the US Dollar and the Euro is mostly to blame - and the Euro hit an all-time high this past week, I believe. So they are trying to keep the price down as much as possible. I guess they don't realize that some of us would pay for these extra items, even with the dreadful exchange rate.

As for the strobing brake lights, I'm not sure if those are legal in the US. I know that brake lights that get brighter in a panic stop are legal, but I'm not sure we allow the flashing lights. But if you've seen a video of them in action, they have to be effective -they really get your attention!

I've seen many NV cars with flashing 3rd brake light. Pretty sure most of them were late model GM products.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
All the lighting stuff is illegal thanks to the U.S. government. They did however allow a small amount of CL/S600 models over with the flashing brake lights for 2007, not sure about 2008. Flashing 3rd brake lights on a GM product? That is a new one one me. I seriously doubt that, LEDs might look like they're flashing because they're so quick to on/off.

MBUSA doesn't sell many C350s and as with the last C-Class, the 350 Luxury model was rare as all getout. After the initial hype dies down you won't see many C350s Sports at the dealers either.

Parktronic and knee bags along with other non-safety items were omitted for cost reasons IMO. I'm still holding out that for 2009 they will listen (if more than just a few people here are actually complaining) and update the C along with the new engines.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 10-01-2007 at 03:27 AM.