MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   The mirrors don't tilt when you reverse? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/211978-mirrors-dont-tilt-when-you-reverse.html)

MBfan21 09-29-2007 06:49 PM

The mirrors don't tilt when you reverse?

Is it true in the new C classes, the mirrors don't tilt when you reverse? Why did Mercedes give up this feature??

err 09-29-2007 07:10 PM

Yes they don't :( which is really crappy. Even VW has this feature.... This is one thing that I've missed the most with the new C Classes

Turbo2 09-29-2007 07:20 PM

This is ridiculous...Mercedes keeps getting cheaper and cheaper!

oblu 09-29-2007 07:26 PM

Don't have a manual (car still on the way) but are you sure you just don't have to have the mirror control selecter on the passenger mirror setting for it to work? I could've sworn that one of the times I was test driving that I had the mirror tilt down. :nix:

Kieffer 09-29-2007 07:57 PM

The ML is the same way in the US market. MB deactivated the feature on the ML (and some S550s) in an effort to raise its JD Power quality survey. The idea was that a mirror motor that is used less is less likely to break. On all the other cars, you can have it activated by the dealer if they go into the Star Diagnostics system. I know this for a fact - I had it done on our 2007 ML. My guess is that you can do this on the C-Class as well. I certainly plan on having it done to mine when it comes in.

ffejalink 09-29-2007 08:04 PM

I would've assumed the mirror would only tilt if you have seat memory, which the US-spec W204's do not have. This was the case with the W203 series. It seems very odd to discontinue this feature, especially on the more expensive models.

MBfan21 09-29-2007 09:05 PM

That is stupid they removed this feature to increase their JD Power Quality rating. I've had the feature on my 03 model and never once did I have problems with the motor. I don't know why they would drop a feature like that.
Follow up with us if they do let you activate it on the C class. I can see my MB dealer giving a problem with that and saying it's not possible.

Muzic 09-29-2007 10:00 PM

That's ridiculous. Their commercials keep stressing how they took 6 years to build the new C-Class and then they go and remove things like memory seats and the reverse mirror? That's taking it back 6 years.

AsianML 09-29-2007 10:37 PM

See here: https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....1&postcount=14

stealtheo 09-30-2007 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by MBfan21 (Post 2433914)
Is it true in the new C classes, the mirrors don't tilt when you reverse? Why did Mercedes give up this feature??

Tilt mirrors, only with memory seats.

marakbai 09-30-2007 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by stealtheo (Post 2434308)
Tilt mirrors, only with memory seats.

Yep, they tilted on the one I drove yesterday ...
the selector was on right, and tilited as I reversed ... it did not go back up when I put it in drive though ... maybe if you drive forward for some time it goes back up? Not sure.

Kieffer 09-30-2007 12:45 PM

If that occurred, and there was no seat memory for the driver's seat, then YES, this can be done. If anyone is interested, I will be glad to send you a link to another site that tells you what to say to your service adviser to get this accomplished. We had it done on our ML320CDI, and our service adviser knew exactly what we wanted and how to get it done. It took no time at all and we weren't charged for it.

And yes, after you drive forward and hit about 10 mph, the mirror goes back to its original position.

You made my day!

MBfan21 09-30-2007 03:30 PM

Kieffer.. please PM me with that link. I definitely would like to look into this.

ajscratch 09-30-2007 03:54 PM

Kieffer.. please PM me with that link. I definitely would like to look into this.

+!:y I'd also like to have this information as I have a C350 on order. Thanks.

GPI 09-30-2007 04:44 PM

That's great. I would also like to know that.

Germancar1 10-01-2007 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kieffer (Post 2433980)
The ML is the same way in the US market. MB deactivated the feature on the ML (and some S550s) in an effort to raise its JD Power quality survey. The idea was that a mirror motor that is used less is less likely to break. On all the other cars, you can have it activated by the dealer if they go into the Star Diagnostics system. I know this for a fact - I had it done on our 2007 ML. My guess is that you can do this on the C-Class as well. I certainly plan on having it done to mine when it comes in.

Would you believe that some people actually complained about this being a problem because they didn't know how to shut off the feature by selecting the driver's side mirror? I'm sure this played a part in it being removed also. You gotta love survey worshipers, so smart yet so ignorant of the product they're being surveyed about.

M

RumbleUK 10-01-2007 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Germancar1 (Post 2435644)
Would you believe that some people actually complained about this being a problem because they didn't know how to shut off the feature by selecting the driver's side mirror? I'm sure this played a part in it being removed also. You gotta love survey worshipers, so smart yet so ignorant of the product they're being surveyed about.

M

Maybe MB should have thought forward instead of backward and made half the mirror tilt down and the other half remain as is!?!?! Suits everyone that way lol.

Yeah the commercial on the w204 also said doors can hold the weight of two big guys or whatever - what a feature :smash:, i'll remember that when i need to escape from a car jacker and he's happily hanging onto the door as its swinging about instead of on the floor a mile behind with a face full of wing mirror!!!!

MiKeSSw203 10-01-2007 05:33 PM

I noticed this too. Thats so gay. I was going to go though the manual to see if possible but since I came across this thread forget about it.

Kieffer 10-01-2007 06:11 PM

Mike - What is "gay" about a mirror not tilting when a car is in reverse?

MiKeSSw203 10-01-2007 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kieffer (Post 2436547)
Mike - What is "gay" about a mirror not tilting when a car is in reverse?

My girl needs all the help she can get when parallel parking the w204. I check the Renntechs everyday to make sure they are curbrash free.

MidniteBluBenz 10-01-2007 09:34 PM

Tilt down mirrors are key. I use mine regularly. I can't believe they have made it optional & that they are so troublesome. My car is almost 14 years old and it 1) has tilt down mirror and 2) has worked flawlessly

Germancar1 10-02-2007 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by RumbleUK (Post 2435648)
Maybe MB should have thought forward instead of backward and made half the mirror tilt down and the other half remain as is!?!?! Suits everyone that way lol.

Yeah the commercial on the w204 also said doors can hold the weight of two big guys or whatever - what a feature :smash:, i'll remember that when i need to escape from a car jacker and he's happily hanging onto the door as its swinging about instead of on the floor a mile behind with a face full of wing mirror!!!!

Hilarious, in the days of the W140 S-Class such a dual-split mirror might have been possible...lol.

M

Kferg7 10-02-2007 04:36 AM

Please post the link on how to activate the mirrors. Most of us here would appreciate that info!

who8888 10-24-2007 01:00 PM

Any one got their mirror to tilt down?

Were any of you successful in having MB turn that function on if it does exist?

R0ME0 10-24-2007 03:54 PM

I dont think so! I test drove a c250 sport and recall that they do have tilt down mirrors in reverse. Are you guys sure?