MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   After market HID/Fog lamp kit.. Any suggestions? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/212600-after-market-hid-fog-lamp-kit-any-suggestions.html)

BlackMercBenz 10-04-2007 03:08 AM

After market HID/Fog lamp kit.. Any suggestions?

My '08 C350 didn't come with bi-xenon HL option. Any suggestions on which after market bulbs/kits to purchase for the HL & fog lamps?

Lakerz4sho 10-04-2007 12:13 PM

i would like to know also.. and if there are any DIY guides to installing HID conversion kit, that would be great as well.

eddie081 10-06-2007 02:55 PM

I installed HID kit on my buddy's C230, its pretty easy

If you can change the heal light bulbs you can do it, its plug and play

We didn't get any error lights

Thanks

Mr_Mojo 10-06-2007 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by eddie081 (Post 2443900)
I installed HID kit on my buddy's C230, its pretty easy

If you can change the heal light bulbs you can do it, its plug and play

We didn't get any error lights

Thanks

What kit did you use? Info, price? :)

benggolf 10-06-2007 03:26 PM

Once you have driven one with xenon headlights, you won't order one without it. Glad to see that Canadian W204s come equipped with xenon as standard; but of course we pay a lot more. :smash:

Mr_Mojo 10-06-2007 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by benggolf (Post 2443927)
Glad to see that Canadian W204s come equipped with xenon as standard; but of course we pay a lot more. :smash:

Not as much as we pay in the United Kindom, and we don't get xenon as standard:eek:

benggolf 10-06-2007 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Mojo (Post 2443928)
Not as much as we pay in the United Kindom, and we don't get xenon as standard:eek:

Sorry to hear that! Once we compare what MB Canada is charging for the W204s versus MBUSA, we feel like victims of price gouging specially now that the Canadian dollar is at par to the US dollar. :X

Mr_Mojo 10-07-2007 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by benggolf (Post 2444200)
Sorry to hear that! Once w come what MB Canada is charging for the W204s compared to MBUSA, we feel like victims of price gouging specially now that the Canadian dollar is at par to the US dollar. :X

I've ordered a W204 C220 CDI Sport with multimedia, leather and a few other options and it's costing me £35k or about US$70k:eek: A C350 Sport with the same options would be about US$80k:eek:

BlackMercBenz 10-08-2007 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Mojo (Post 2443925)
What kit did you use? Info, price? :)

bump...

CarGuru 10-08-2007 01:04 AM

Not in a MB but I installed http://xenondepot.com/ kit 6000 in my old Acura Integra and everyone that commented on it thought they were OEM in fact parked next to an Audi with HID you would not know the kit in my Integra was aftermarket. The only downside was slightly more oncoming glare as a 2001 Integras lamp housing wasn't designed for HID. In the new C Class you may run into this as well. installed the kit in my Acura in about 15 minuets, It's really as simple as changing a bulb, finding a spot to ground the wiring and a safe place for the ballast.

-Ryan

BlackMercBenz 10-08-2007 01:08 AM

Would the C350 having projector lenses have an issue with these after market bulbs? I'm planning to get 6K.

Lakerz4sho 10-08-2007 12:18 PM

so we don't have to remove the bumper or anything to get access to the headlights? just unscrew the existing halogen, replace the connections and bulb w/ hid to ballast, mount the ballast somewhere..... and that's it?

KA8 10-08-2007 12:36 PM

I'd suggest looking into ebay kits. I've got one set for $100 shipped and all needed to add was a capacitor on each side to avoid flickers and error msgs. good luck. There's a diy on this forum somewhere. I think it was a E-class section

Lakerz4sho 10-08-2007 04:27 PM

is the capacitor the same thing as a relay device? i've found an hid kit for 150 with lifetime warranty, and an additional 30 bucks for relay devices attached to the ballasts.

KA8 10-08-2007 04:51 PM

hmm... I've heard of relays but not sure what it really does

Originally Posted by Lakerz4sho (Post 2446058)
so we don't have to remove the bumper or anything to get access to the headlights? just unscrew the existing halogen, replace the connections and bulb w/ hid to ballast, mount the ballast somewhere..... and that's it?

It should be like any headlight bulb replacement. If any car requires bumper removal for bulb replacement I'd stay away from it

BlackMercBenz 10-13-2007 08:15 PM

Okay here's the deal...

Got in touch with Steve from www.xenondepot.com
Verified the type of HL, it's H7 (55W)
Will order HID Xtreme conversion kit 65K

The only thing is he's asking me to take it to the dealer to have them set the light settings to Xenon, otherwise it will cause an error message...

Any thoughts?

BlackMercBenz 10-29-2007 08:18 PM

HID kit Install Update... Need your input.

I just talked to the Sr. Service consultant at my dealership about changing the car's settings to "Xenon" so I can put that HID kit from xenondepot.. He said it's Not recommended, they won't do it & it will void the warranty.

Sux!!!

Anybody who has done this before? Did you get any error message?
Please help.
Thanks.

:zoom:

SteveMondragon 10-30-2007 12:06 PM

You don't need to add a capacitor, but you do need a resistor in parallel with the headlight or foglight (or corner lights if you want to run LED bulbs). Either that or run a load resistor box in parallel with the circuit but those tend to run hot. We're running the 220ohm 5W resistors in parallel but they're a pain to find - had to order them online so I have like 20 of them, they're rectangle shaped. I've used these on BMWs, MBs, and Audi's and each time it takes care of the "bulb out" error message that those cars give you.

FYI, don't make it visible if you go to the dealership or they will want to void your warranty (just the lighting/technology package part or blame any electronic gremlin on the car to that). But that's just plain common sense.