MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   C350 vs. Lexus SC430? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/214351-c350-vs-lexus-sc430.html)

delirium 10-16-2007 09:06 PM

C350 vs. Lexus SC430?

I know this is not an apples to apples comparison, but which would you prefer the C350 or a Lexus SC430. I am single & dont haul around that much cargo. I love the convertible top of the SC430, but it is a little bit small. The SC430 also draws more attention & has more of a fun factor, however it is still a Lexus.

amdeutsch 10-16-2007 09:18 PM

Shouldn't you compare convertible against convertible, sedan against sedan, instead of what you are doing? I know you stated it in your post.............I just have to say this: You are delirious. :D

delirium 10-16-2007 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by amdeutsch (Post 2458486)
Shouldn't you compare convertible against convertible, sedan against sedan, instead of what you are doing? I know you stated it in your post.............I just have to say this: You are delirious. :D

Haha, ya... its not a good comparison, but i just want to get opinions. Reason being is that i have the opportunity to buy these 2 cars (the SC is used and it still costs more than the C350) and i want to see what you guys think, I already know what you guys think of the 335i vs. C350 debate... :)

RLE 10-16-2007 09:32 PM

<<its not a good comparison, but i just want to get opinions. Reason being is that i have the opportunity to buy these 2 cars (the SC is used and it still costs more than the C350) and i want to see what you guys think,>>

Keeping in mind that you asked....

The Lexus convertible has the styling of a potato and the image of a Miami Beach gold-chainer car. The fact that you never see them says it all.

err 10-16-2007 10:36 PM

SC430 is weird looking. I'd rather drive a boxster

Throwing another punch in the mix :D

aowhaus 10-17-2007 12:04 AM

anything wrong with the SLK-class, the 3-series convertible, or even a CPO SL-class? They all are hardtop convertibles with comparible engine power and features.

The SC430 is a nice car, though the styling at some angles it looks a bit awkward and bloated, and it has been around for some time and doesn't get as much attention as it used to.

CarGuru 10-17-2007 12:24 AM

Personally the SC430 is a very feminine car, I don't think I've seen anything but your typical mid-life crises aged female Realtor types and Doctors wifes driving these. Correct me if I'm wrong but next to an Astro van and Ford Ranger the SC has got to be one of the oldest and longest running platforms still around. These coupes portray a very unconscious, personal image. Big heavy car, two-seats the rears are there obviously for insurance purposes and a big thirsty and not so inspiring albeit bullet proof and smooth V8. There are so many other cars roof-less I would go for before that car.

-Ryan

MB Fanatic 10-17-2007 02:47 AM

Whoever said the SC430 was a fun car, I think it was the OP, clearly needs to spend some serious time behind one. With the handling prowess of a minivan, it does not convey the slightest bit of fun. Its even lethargic in terms of acceleration.

Horrible car, horrible design, and horrible engineering.

MBTex 10-17-2007 10:14 AM

Guys I'm trying to decide between the C350 and S65....which would you prefer?

430752 10-17-2007 10:49 AM

I have to agree...bad move

I have to agree with the dislike of the sc430. at first I kinda dug it in an avant garde way. That lasted a year or so. Now, its got many problems.

first, it ain't cheap. Of course, you seem to have the money, but I cite price to point out that for the money you shouldn't have to compromise.

second, it's old. It is long in the tooth. It shot its load on the scene makign a large impression (years ago) and now looks like Ron Jeremy standing around with nothing to do. If they don't kill it off soon, they're likely to redesign it.

third, its polarizing - but not in a good way.

fourth, its been done better since then by others. Want a hard-top convertible? Merc, Bimmer, hell, even VW has one of those.

Fifth, it screams lexus. Which it should as it was lexus' Halo Car for a time. Nothign wrong with Lexus, and in fact Lexus leads the world in common luxury nowadays (don't stone me as a heretic, face it that Merc has lost its mojo in many ways, and by common luxury I mean normal cars, if we wanted to talk real luxury we'd discuss bentley, bugatti, et al.) But, a lexus is still a lexus, and if that phrase means anything to you, then you'll understand why something which screams lexus might not be good.

Sixth, did I mention its old?

Seventh, as someone else put it Miami Gold Chain, or somebody's loving aunt Myra who is retired from being a sucessful housewife to a successful banker.

Now I dunno about c350 vs. Sc430, but if I was in the market and wanted something sculpted in the $70K range, which might not have to be a convertible, I'd either wait to see what the new Jag will look like, or I'd add another $25K and look at the Maserati's or a Panoz for a real conversation starter.

Just me.

Curt J.

termigni 10-17-2007 12:39 PM

Brand new C350 Sport. Silver. Black interior. haveaniceday

aznmode 10-17-2007 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by CarGuru (Post 2458734)
Personally the SC430 is a very feminine car, I don't think I've seen anything but your typical mid-life crises aged female Realtor types and Doctors wifes driving these. Correct me if I'm wrong but next to an Astro van and Ford Ranger the SC has got to be one of the oldest and longest running platforms still around. These coupes portray a very unconscious, personal image. Big heavy car, two-seats the rears are there obviously for insurance purposes and a big thirsty and not so inspiring albeit bullet proof and smooth V8. There are so many other cars roof-less I would go for before that car.

-Ryan

LOL. Our HR Manager drives an SC430. I'm not sure how old she is but I'm pretty sure shes close to 50 if not over. I vote for the C350.

TEAShea 10-18-2007 12:33 PM

The SC430 is an obsolete car. It is an old design. It is hard to think of another car for the price that is more worthless.

TEAShea
from Nebraska

amdeutsch 10-18-2007 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by TEAShea (Post 2460716)
The SC430 is an obsolete car. It is an old design. It is hard to think of another car for the price that is more worthless.

TEAShea
from Nebraska

Cadillac XLR :rolf:

RandyG 10-19-2007 04:46 AM

Regarding image, these couple of thoughts come to mind regarding the C Class:

Pretentioius and Wannabe

JimPap 10-19-2007 06:00 AM

What exactly did you think your responses were going to be in a Mercedes forum? :crazy:

imboom 10-19-2007 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by RandyG (Post 2461955)

Pretentioius and Wannabe

This coming from someone who drives a "Boxster":D

But in all seriousness, for myself, image wasn't the factor driving me to buy a MB. I love the exterior styling of the W204's, the technology involved in it, the comfort of a luxury brand, and adequate power when needed.

Back to topic: The C350 is a nice car and so is the SC430. However the C350 has a much better driving feel than the SC430. The SC430 is a very bland car. It does feel pretty much like you're driving a Chrysler Sebring Convertible. Sheer looks alone, since you're single, I think most people do not like the looks of the SC430. It conjures the mid-life crisis type of feeling.

JimPap 10-19-2007 07:22 AM

Pretentioius and Wannabe

....and this is a brain on crack.:smash:

Untertürkheim 10-19-2007 09:27 AM

Order a fully equipped C and take factory delivery, same even more money and enjoy a great car.

Why get a fake SL (SC430) with the dynamic of a sponge when you can get a real MB?

kevmac 10-19-2007 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by delirium (Post 2458469)
I know this is not an apples to apples comparison, but which would you prefer the C350 or a Lexus SC430. I am single & dont haul around that much cargo. I love the convertible top of the SC430, but it is a little bit small. The SC430 also draws more attention & has more of a fun factor, however it is still a Lexus.

It seems you favor the SC430. Why are you considering the C350?

kevmac 10-19-2007 10:21 AM

Pretentioius and Wannabe

Pretending and wanting to be what?

MBTex 10-19-2007 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by kevmac (Post 2462147)

A Boxster driver obviously....

The least he could've done was say he drove a C4...

Untertürkheim 10-19-2007 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by kevmac (Post 2462147)

Considering Porsche is very much a womans car around Stuttgart, a woman?

Yacht Master 10-19-2007 12:43 PM

The SC 430 is a womans car.
The attention an SC 430 gets,...... was in 2002.

KA8 10-19-2007 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic (Post 2458858)

Horrible car, horrible design, and horrible engineering.

wow you serious? SC's aren't fast or may even look feminine. But look at some nicely modded ones. Plus it's far from anything 'horrible'. :crazy: