MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Special Optional Equipment W204 (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/215526-special-optional-equipment-w204.html)

Untertürkheim 10-25-2007 03:17 PM

Special Optional Equipment W204

I am not sure if MBUSA still does this, but in the past, write in options were sometimes allowed. Basically, one could order options, colors, etc that are available in Europe but not in the US by the dealer writing the option code in on the build sheet. This sometimes worked, but is not a guarantee. For those planning on ordering a car:

Optional Equipment: Code

Parktronic: 220
Pre-Safe: 299
Black Maple (For C300 Sport): 732
Multi-Contour Seats Front Left and Right (Only for Luxury): 409
Intelligent Light System: 622
Keyless Go: 889
3 Zone Climate Control: 581
Advanced Agility Packet: 483
Left (Driver) Seat Memory Package with Mirrors, Steering Wheel Memory and Pre-Safe Functionality (When Equipped with Pre-Safe): 275
Right (Passenger) Seat Memory With Pre-Safe Functionality (Only with Pre-Safe and Left Seat Memory): 242
Tow Hook (Luxury Only): 550
Heated Windshield Washing System: 345
Rear Side Airbags: 293
Mounted Fire Extinguisher: 682
Perakles Green: Paint Code 300

I believe those are all the options not offered in the US. Good luck to anyone who orders them, let us know if it works.

Kieffer 10-25-2007 03:21 PM

Mounted Fire Extinguisher? Wow!

R0ME0 10-25-2007 04:06 PM

What is the keyless go? Is it like the new IS's where you don't need to stick in the key to start the car? Do we have that in the US?

Jorg 10-25-2007 04:10 PM

Mounted Fire extinguishers are mandatory equipment in Germany, if I am not mistaken, all my family and friends have them mounted in front of the driver's seat.

It is very interesting to try and order these items. I can see that it could work, because these items are available at the factory. I am interested to see if it actually works here.

Jorg

MBTex 10-25-2007 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by R0ME0 (Post 2471481)
What is the keyless go? Is it like the new IS's where you don't need to stick in the key to start the car? Do we have that in the US?

Yes that is keyless go. No we do not have it in the US. It is discussed in great detail in more than a few threads in the forum.

Untertürkheim 10-25-2007 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by MBTex (Post 2471513)
Yes that is keyless go. No we do not have it in the US. It is discussed in great detail in more than a few threads in the forum.

Just to clarify, keyless go is in the US and has been for many years on several other models, but it is not yet available on the W204.

Untertürkheim 10-25-2007 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jorg (Post 2471487)
Mounted Fire extinguishers are mandatory equipment in Germany

No, they are not, although some people do order them.

R0ME0 10-25-2007 04:50 PM

Thanks for the info man! Much appreciated! :y

430752 10-25-2007 04:57 PM

Two Things I didn't realize!

Keyless Go and Rear Side Airbags are first, not standard? and second, neither are available as on option in the US?

The former, I admit, I hadn't given much thought to either way. The latter, I assumed came standard. I mean, they did promise me a mercedes benz, didn't they? And I can't even order them as an option? Hell, I drove a 2002 ford focus that had rear side airbags as an option! I'm going to have to look into this one, I've got two very young daughters that will be riding back there?!?

MBTex 10-25-2007 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Untertürkheim (Post 2471550)
Just to clarify, keyless go is in the US and has been for many years on several other models, but it is not yet available on the W204.

Good catch....I should've been more clear.

MBTex 10-25-2007 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 430752 (Post 2471579)
Keyless Go and Rear Side Airbags are first, not standard? and second, neither are available as on option in the US?

Yes and Yes as to the US.

As for your other points.....big +1.

MBTex 10-25-2007 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Untertürkheim (Post 2471393)
I am not sure if MBUSA still does this, but in the past, write in options were sometimes allowed. Basically, one could order options, colors, etc that are available in Europe but not in the US by the dealer writing the option code in on the build sheet. This sometimes worked, but is not a guarantee. For those planning on ordering a car:

Optional Equipment: Code

Parktronic: 220
Pre-Safe: 299
Black Maple (For C300 Sport): 732
Multi-Contour Seats Front Left and Right (Only for Luxury): 409
Intelligent Light System: 622
Keyless Go: 889
3 Zone Climate Control: 581
Advanced Agility Packet: 483
Left (Driver) Seat Memory Package with Mirrors, Steering Wheel Memory and Pre-Safe Functionality (When Equipped with Pre-Safe): 275
Right (Passenger) Seat Memory With Pre-Safe Functionality (Only with Pre-Safe and Left Seat Memory): 242
Tow Hook (Luxury Only): 550
Heated Windshield Washing System: 345
Rear Side Airbags: 293
Mounted Fire Extinguisher: 682
Perakles Green: Paint Code 300

I believe those are all the options not offered in the US. Good luck to anyone who orders them, let us know if it works.

It will really tick me off if this is possible and wasn't mentioned to me by my dealer....he knew that I wanted some of those features as well as the cashmere interior in my 350.

If it is possible, I'd be tempted to have him re-order the car....until he tells me it'll be here in February....

Untertürkheim 10-25-2007 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by MBTex (Post 2471671)
It will really tick me off if this is possible and wasn't mentioned to me by my dealer....he knew that I wanted some of those features as well as the cashmere interior in my 350.

If it is possible, I'd be tempted to have him re-order the car....until he tells me it'll be here in February....

The Cashmere interior is not available with the AMG package anywhere, so that one will not work.

Depending on the build stage of your order, you can may be able to do the option write in, as long as the car is not already built. It should not take longer to complete.

Also, many dealers and/or salesmen have never done this. So they may not know it was possible, or even tell you it is not possible. The only way to know is write in all the options you want and see how many, if any, work.

amdeutsch 10-25-2007 06:29 PM

The other issue you forgot to mention is that most sit in from of a computer screen and just click. Not sure it there exists a feature for manual entry.

430752 10-25-2007 06:38 PM

MB Says side curatin airbag

MBUSA website says:

Window Curtain Air Bags In a side impact exceeding a preset deployment threshold, a multi-chamber air bag deploys along the front and rear side-door windows on the affected side of the vehicle.

Isn't this the same as a rear, side airbag? But if so, why would they list it as an option (in europe at least)?

This is all getting too much as to what MB included and what it intentionally left out to either meet a certain price point or to dis-content the car in order to help avoid negative quality issues which might affect is JD Powers Survey.

Untertürkheim 10-25-2007 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by 430752 (Post 2471722)
MBUSA website says:

Window Curtain Air Bags In a side impact exceeding a preset deployment threshold, a multi-chamber air bag deploys along the front and rear side-door windows on the affected side of the vehicle.

Isn't this the same as a rear, side airbag? But if so, why would they list it as an option (in europe at least)?

This is all getting too much as to what MB included and what it intentionally left out to either meet a certain price point or to dis-content the car in order to help avoid negative quality issues which might affect is JD Powers Survey.

The Windowbag is not the same thing as the Sidebag, the sidebag comes out of the rear door panel and cushons the door, the windowbag is for the window only. The US model is equipped with the standard equipment the EU model has, without the rear sidebag option.

You can blame JD Powers and Consumer Reports for how MB treats the US. All malfunctions are weighted the same for determining a vehicle's reliability. So an MB owner with a malfunctioning drive-dynamic seat counts the same as a pruis driver whose hybrid system commits hari-kiri.

In Germany, the TÜF and Breakdown Statistics (Pannenstatistik) not only record the number of malfunctions, but assign values to them based on severity, so that the aforementioned situation does not occur. This provides a much more clear picture of reliability, and very different from the rankings in the US.

Also, these options were rarely ordered when they were available. Look at the W203 C230 sport, that did not even have power seats. A fully powered driver seat with 3 position memory that included steering wheel and mirrors was an option that was almost never ordered.

So, in order to keep US prices at the insanely low levels where they are now, MB reduces the number of options so they can more easily mass produce cars to fill showrooms.

Combine all of this with the fact that compared to most European consumers, especially Germans, American consumers are much more averse to paying for repair or maintainance on their cars, and much more inclined to sue. This should serve as a partial explanation for why the US market is treated this way.

amdeutsch 10-25-2007 08:18 PM

Not only that but most forget that MB is still acompany trying to make profit. And the recent fall of the $ versus the EURO doesn't help the situation.

aowhaus 10-25-2007 10:44 PM

I would love the Parktronic, Intelligent Light System and definately the Advanced Adgility Package, but that would burn a deeper hole in my wallet.

It's a good thing we don't have an engine start button, as I find them very annoying and unnecessary unless Keyless Go was standard.

I'm curious what Perakles Green looks like.

Untertürkheim 10-25-2007 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by aowhaus (Post 2472028)
I'm curious what Perakles Green looks like.

http://www.mercedes-benz.de/content/...ebspecial.html

Periklasgrün is the color on the far right. If you click the yellow arrow to page two, you can select the sunroof option to give an accurate picture.

RLE 10-25-2007 11:03 PM

Bags

<<The Windowbag is not the same thing as the Sidebag, the sidebag comes out of the rear door panel and cushions the door, the windowbag is for the window only. The US model is equipped with the standard equipment the EU model has, without the rear side bag option.>>

Rear door bags were standard in the W203, at least early models (like my now gone '01 C320) but have become an expensive option in the W204 which I did not order. The front side bags no longer are in the doors but are in the sides of the seats, facing the B-post. If rear bags are ordered, they are in the narrow trim piece between the seat and the door. The curtain bags are as in the W203. The driver's knee bag is omitted from US models.

<<You can blame JD Power and Consumer Reports for how MB treats the US. Also, these options were rarely ordered when they were available. Look at the W203 C230 sport, that did not even have power seats. A fully powered driver seat with 3 position memory that included steering wheel and mirrors was an option that was almost never ordered.>>

Standard in my C320 and now not available at any price, here. My '85 190E had them for about $700.

The C230, being an entry level car, had reduced equipment specifications. Even the first C240 in '01 had a simpler AC system, a basic radio (not Bose) and other shortcomings compared to the C320 and later, the C350 which nobody ordered.

<<So, in order to keep US prices at the insanely low levels where they are now, MB reduces the number of options so they can more easily mass produce cars to fill showrooms.>>

Freely admitted by the dealer whose recommendations are not solicited by MB.

MBTex 10-26-2007 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Untertürkheim (Post 2471687)
Depending on the build stage of your order, you can may be able to do the option write in, as long as the car is not already built. It should not take longer to complete.

Unfortunately the car is built...should be here in 2 weeks.

rb23lb 10-26-2007 01:12 PM

this is all speculation that just makes me feel all sour on MB for not telling me that this order was possible....

has anyone actually ordered these extras successfully??

if no one can confirm, then its probably not possible and then I wont feel like i am missing out and could just be content with my order..

MBTex 10-26-2007 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by rb23lb (Post 2472663)
this is all speculation that just makes me feel all sour on MB for not telling me that this order was possible....

has anyone actually ordered these extras successfully??

if no one can confirm, then its probably not possible and then I wont feel like i am missing out and could just be content with my order..

+1 to that.....there are plenty of rumors, but no confirmation. I really would sleep better if I knew the car I'm getting is what I chose based on what was available to me rather than what I settled for (unknowingly) when there was a way to get what I really wanted in it..

Untertürkheim 10-26-2007 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by MBTex (Post 2472716)
+1 to that.....there are plenty of rumors, but no confirmation. I really would sleep better if I knew the car I'm getting is what I chose based on what was available to me rather than what I settled for (unknowingly) when there was a way to get what I really wanted in it..

I cannot offer any confirmation on the W204, but I know that (most recently) special orders were possible on the W211. There are, of course, more examples from the past.

pmb600 10-28-2007 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 2472063)
Rear door bags were standard in the W203, at least early models (like my now gone '01 C320) but have become an expensive option in the W204 which I did not order. The front side bags no longer are in the doors but are in the sides of the seats, facing the B-post. If rear bags are ordered, they are in the narrow trim piece between the seat and the door. The curtain bags are as in the W203. The driver's knee bag is omitted from US models.

I'm afraid that rear side door bags are NOT available even as an option on the W204 in the US. The car comes with 6 airbags as standard: driver, front passenger, driver and front passenger side airbag mounted in the seats, and two curtain airbags that cover the side windows on from front to rear.

The new side bag design (for the front seats) which is integrated into the seat is actually considered an improvement because it provides more protection than when mounted in the door. Basically the bag will move to the best position as the seat is adjusted where the old design the bag was fixed and might not offer the best protection if your seat was adjusted too far front or back.

The W203 came with 8 airbags as standard from MY2001 to MY2005: all of the ones I mentioned above plus rear side airbags mounted in the rear doors. For MY2006 and MY2007 rear side bags became an option for around $400 ish.

The W204 comes standard in Germany with all 8 airbags PLUS the driver's knee bag making 9 in total.

I think that the omission of airbags is one of the most egregious things MBUSA has ever done. One of their core philosphies is saftey and omitting rear side airbags as standard or optional equipment is just disgusting. Not to mention that the C-Class would be most likely to be driven by younger parents who NEED the rear side airbags to protect their children.

Looks like another email/letter to MBUSA is in order...

You should all write about this, the more letters they get, the better. Maybe one day they will wise up.