C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Wheel Dings & Chips anyone else (18” AMG Content)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
Wheel Dings & Chips anyone else (18” AMG Content)

These 18” AMG’s are gorgeous on the W204 but man we’ve had our car two months, my wife drives this car very conservatively avoiding gravel transfers on the highway, dump trucks and following to closely etc.. Well this morning I was detailing the car for the weekend and noticed if I examined closely I could see quite a few pits and dings on the wheels and the clear coat. Luckily she hasn’t checked any curbs but the most disturbing was on the right front wheel, there was a fingernail sized gouge in between one of the spokes, looks like a big rock tagged it at speed likely from the highway. Anyone have any luck with repairing, touching up wheels? If it’s too much trouble I might just order a new wheel, my wife actually told me she wanted four extra 18” AMG wheels in case one of current get damaged. At the time we didn’t know they were going to be available as our dealer kept saying they would be discontinued etc..

-Ryan

Old 10-27-2007, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
Your wheel looks just fine and that chip could be touched up with some paint.
You could check your local Pep Boys or Auto Zone to see if they have paint specifically for silver alloy wheels.

There is a wheel repair and refinishing shop here in Denver that are known for doing excellent work, especially with the local car club groups. They can even repair heavy curb rash and bends. I'll definately keep them in mind as I have two sets of wheels which are no longer in production and I intend on keeping them for a while. A coworker of mine had a couple badly rashed wheels repaired and refinished and they look just like new, I think it costed him $200, I don't know if that is for two or each (it's definately cheaper than buying new wheels).

I'm sure if you do some research you could find a place in your city that could do decent wheel repair/refinishing work, you could even ask a body shop for recommendations.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
Originally Posted by aowhaus
Your wheel looks just fine and that chip could be touched up with some paint.
You could check your local Pep Boys or Auto Zone to see if they have paint specifically for silver alloy wheels.

There is a wheel repair and refinishing shop here in Denver that are known for doing excellent work, especially with the local car club groups. They can even repair heavy curb rash and bends. I'll definately keep them in mind as I have two sets of wheels which are no longer in production and I intend on keeping them for a while. A coworker of mine had a couple badly rashed wheels repaired and refinished and they look just like new, I think it costed him $200, I don't know if that is for two or each (it's definately cheaper than buying new wheels).

I'm sure if you do some research you could find a place in your city that could do decent wheel repair/refinishing work, you could even ask a body shop for recommendations.
I know I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing, it's just that I guess my wife & I made a big stink at the dealer about having to have the 18" AMG's (It was a deal-breaker) type of thing and knowing how much they cost and such I just hoped they would stay nice. Also the pictures don't do justice, when the car is clean the black mark on the wheel stands out like a sore thumb. I'm going to call one of those mobile wheel touch up operations on monday and see what it cost to touch-up and re clear. I had my old '04 Acura TL wheels touched up / repaired after a girl friend before my wife curbed a rear wheel in a drive through. It cost me $90.00 to repair curb rash about 8'' long on the wheel and after the guy was done you couldn't tell it was even touch/up.

-Ryan
Old 10-28-2007, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IS300
Take it in and see if Mercedes can do anything about it. It could be considered a "manufacturer defect" and they might replace it. It's worth a try considering those are expensive rims and the car is fairly new
Old 10-28-2007, 10:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350
Beware of auto-carwashes!!! Check the rail size before you drive through. I just had my 17s scratched this way. I went to wash my car and when I got home I saw this ugly scratch on the front-right wheel (the one the rail gets). I’m 99% sure it was on the carwash.