MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Which Mode do you drive your W 204 in (C) or (S) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/215986-mode-do-you-drive-your-w-204-c-s.html)

CarGuru 10-29-2007 01:01 AM

Which Mode do you drive your W 204 in (C) or (S)
 
Since I've had the car I personally leave it in (S) sport about 90% time 10% when we get a way for the weekend or long drive.

-Ryan

GPI 10-29-2007 01:37 AM

After the break-in period, I changed it to the "S" mode.

BlackMercBenz 10-29-2007 01:42 AM


Originally Posted by GPI (Post 2476405)
After the break-in period, I changed it to the "S" mode.


Yep.. Same here!

:zoom:

ismeto 10-29-2007 08:21 AM

C / S
 
but in S mode more fuel eat ! I use always C mode .. Do you ?

sorrrrrry you are american ! Petrol is not important for you :eek:

JimPap 10-29-2007 08:42 AM

I use C mode on my C300. Primarily, because I like the softer takeoff from a standstill rather than the jerky 1st gear takeoff if I were in S mode.

qwerty1024 10-29-2007 10:36 AM

Good question - I was curious what mode people use as well.

During 1000 mile break-in:
C = ~95%, while very rarle S or "Manual", side-to-side shifting

Thereafter:
"C" = ~70%,
"Manual", side-to-side shifting = ~25%
"S" mode = ~5%

I use Mostly "C" because I'mstuck in traffic and saves a bit of gas.
If I ever want the control of shifts and response, I much prefer the "manual" shifting vs. the "S", so i could very well do without the "S".

CarGuru 10-29-2007 11:09 AM

I prefer the overall feel and readiness of the (S) mode, unfortunately the dealer didn't say anything about leaving it in (C) for the first 1K miles. I also didn't find out that it said to do so in the owners manual till reading on this message board a while ago, at that point I had over 1K miles. :slap:

-Ryan

oblu 10-29-2007 11:24 AM

At first, I couldn't stand C and used S all the time (I'm not a big believer in "break-in" on modern cars ... but then I've never kept anything except my workhorse 4Runner for more than 3 years) but now that the transmission has adapted to my driving style C seems just fine for 90% of my driving.

alexyanglaw 10-29-2007 01:32 PM

I got the car last week and I am currently using C mode, I plan to use S mode after 1000 miles break in period. I plan not to drive it hard or pass 90mile/hr before 1000 miles break in period. I think this is better for the transmission.

LaicepsYdobon 10-29-2007 07:18 PM

C mode because its much smoother in my daily bumper to bumper trafficy commute. S mode I leave for when I take longer trips on the highway.

alexyanglaw 10-29-2007 07:27 PM

I prefer S mode better because the car feels more stiff and handles better, I will use C mode when I take a long trip plus the car will shift with lower rpm to save me a little bit of gas.

LaicepsYdobon 10-29-2007 08:21 PM


Originally Posted by alexyanglaw (Post 2477576)
I prefer S mode better because the car feels more stiff and handles better, I will use C mode when I take a long trip plus the car will shift with lower rpm to save me a little bit of gas.

Alex, you are the Ying to my Yang :)

zakklp 10-29-2007 10:56 PM

C mode for break-in then S mode and let'r rip!:zoom::eek:

Peter_Biz 10-29-2007 11:58 PM

Just a thought.....
 
Maybe I'm wrong,....... but while driving today I thought of something that I just wanted to add ....

If you drive in C mode for the first 1K, which keeps the transmition from going into 1st gear..... then you have a transmission that is "broken-in" except for the 1st gear. So wouldn't it be better to keep it in "S" and just drive gently??

Then when It's fully and evenly broken in, drive however you like.

What do you think? :nix:

CarGuru 10-30-2007 12:13 AM


Originally Posted by Petterbizga (Post 2478057)
Maybe I'm wrong,....... but while driving today I thought of something that I just wanted to add ....

If you drive in C mode for the first 1K, which keeps the transmition from going into 1st gear..... then you have a transmission that is "broken-in" except for the 1st gear. So wouldn't it be better to keep it in "S" and just drive gently??

Then when It's fully and evenly broken in, drive however you like.

What do you think? :nix:

As I mentioned, my dealer didn't tell me anything about leaving it in C for the 1st 1K miles, and it wasn't till I had over that millage that I read on here to look in the manual where it is advised. In contrast I've got 5K miles on the clock YTD the trans shifts as buttery smooth and is as tight as a drum since the day I first test drove it. I too would have assumed having the car start in 2nd gear is harder on the Torque-Converter and transmission overall than having it start in 1st? I'm no engineer though, it's just it makes sense.

-Ryan

atiqa 10-30-2007 08:59 AM


Originally Posted by GPI (Post 2476405)
After the break-in period, I changed it to the "S" mode.

Same here, only ~125 miles to go! :)

LaicepsYdobon 10-30-2007 09:06 AM


Originally Posted by Petterbizga (Post 2478057)
Maybe I'm wrong,....... but while driving today I thought of something that I just wanted to add ....

If you drive in C mode for the first 1K, which keeps the transmition from going into 1st gear..... then you have a transmission that is "broken-in" except for the 1st gear. So wouldn't it be better to keep it in "S" and just drive gently??

Then when It's fully and evenly broken in, drive however you like.

What do you think? :nix:

Actually its not the transmission that needs to be broken in but the engine. Keeping it in C mode prevents the engine from reving too high. Reving above 3,000rpm is discouraged during the break-in period. I guess you could drive in gently in S mode also but its much easier to rev above 3,000rpm while in S mode then in C mode. With all that said my dealer told me to keep the car in S mode all the time and didn't mention anything about a break-in period. I'm the kind of person who likes to read the manual before using something so I saw it in the booklet that its advised to keep the car in C mode to prevent high revs.

ismeto 10-30-2007 09:23 AM

Good Thread !
 

Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon (Post 2478410)
I saw it in the booklet that its advised to keep the car in C mode to prevent high revs.


means revs. ? :confused:

stephensong 10-30-2007 10:09 AM


Originally Posted by CarGuru (Post 2476372)
Since I've had the car I personally leave it in (S) sport about 90% time 10% when we get a way for the weekend or long drive.

-Ryan

S is not sport, it is standard and you will not use any more gas driving in S. You should read your owner's manual and you will see that C is for better control when road conditions are not great it puts the transmission in second when you start from a stand-still it also does the same when in reverse.

oblu 10-30-2007 11:41 AM

Hahaha, I'd just assumed S was for sport and never bothered looking in the manual. :D

stephensong 10-30-2007 03:21 PM

Kirkland? What color is your C350? I am in Seattle, and have seen a White with tinted windows but no others.

AsianML 10-30-2007 04:23 PM


Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon (Post 2478410)
Actually its not the transmission that needs to be broken in but the engine. Keeping it in C mode prevents the engine from reving too high. Reving above 3,000rpm is discouraged during the break-in period. I guess you could drive in gently in S mode also but its much easier to rev above 3,000rpm while in S mode then in C mode. With all that said my dealer told me to keep the car in S mode all the time and didn't mention anything about a break-in period. I'm the kind of person who likes to read the manual before using something so I saw it in the booklet that its advised to keep the car in C mode to prevent high revs.

It's discouraged, but it's not like your engine is going to blow up once you hit 1,001 miles if you've gone over 3k RPM. It's okay to go over once in a while, but don't do it too often during break in. The most important thing that most people neglect to do is wait until the engine is at the acceptable operating temperature range before going on a "spirited drive" both during or after break in. Then again I have no facts to back up what I say and everything coming out of my mouth is just crap spewing all over the place...:D :blahblah:

oblu 10-30-2007 04:29 PM


Kirkland? What color is your C350?
C300 with 18" amg wheels. Same color as yours.

I've seen a white with tinted windows and personalized plates but that's it. Probably the same thing as when I first got my e90. Had it for almost 8mo before I saw any others on the road and then there was an explosion.

LaicepsYdobon 10-30-2007 04:53 PM


Originally Posted by AsianML (Post 2479053)
It's discouraged, but it's not like your engine is going to blow up once you hit 1,001 miles if you've gone over 3k RPM. It's okay to go over once in a while, but don't do it too often during break in. The most important thing that most people neglect to do is wait until the engine is at the acceptable operating temperature range before going on a "spirited drive" both during or after break in. Then again I have no facts to back up what I say and everything coming out of my mouth is just crap spewing all over the place...:D :blahblah:

Crap or not it does sound reasonable and logical. :)

Jorg 10-30-2007 07:56 PM

I mix it up during the break in period. C in the city and S on the open road, but as soon as winter arrives and the road could have "black" ice, C is the mode to drive in, because I feel I get easier starts from full stops.

I have no proof but my instinct tells me that in the C mode the fuel consumptions is a bit better, maybe I drive then slower.

I am amazed that when I switch, after a while, from C to S, I think I have a new car. It's harder to adhere to the speed limits in the city in S

Jorg


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands