MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Negotiate with the Dealer (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/216045-negotiate-dealer.html)

tinha28 10-29-2007 01:42 PM

Negotiate with the Dealer

How does everyone negotiate with their dealers? Do you negotiate at the time when ordering the vehicle or wait untill the vehicle arrives? I know most dealers (especially from Hawaii) do not give a lot off the MSRP but I was taught to ask for free options, accessories or extended warrenty.

chilledbenz 10-29-2007 03:30 PM

There's an "art" in dealing with Mercedes Dealers, they don't usually have people want to deal, the customer comes in plops a check down and doesn't haggle. For this reason, many dealerships will be reluctant to do a really drop the jaw deal. The best bet is to work up a deal your happy with before you order the car. If your ordering a special order car, one with some crazy options, chances are your not going to get a great deal, because the dealership doesn't want to be stuck with a car they can't move very easily if you decide not to take it. It's easier to get a great deal on stock already at the dealership, even if you don't think a car is in your price range you would be surprized as to how much they are willing to knock off a higher priced car thats already in their inventory. That said, I ordered my car because I wanted a certain color that wasn't available in their inventory, or available for trade at any dealership and I got a perfectly good deal. It's not a Chevy so don't expect to get 5k off of it, but 1-2k of m.s.r.p. seems normal and then after your deal is made ask for some throw ins. All weather floor mats, a rear lip spoiler, mud flaps, chrome door handle inserts, all those are good throw ins cause they don't cost the dealership too much money to throw in for free, just don't expect to get all of them thrown in, one or two should be good. Hope I helped and didn't confuse you even more ha ha.

tinha28 10-29-2007 05:01 PM

Thanks for the help. Negotiation is really an art. It is not really about the money but I do want a good deal. If the dealer can give other people between 1-2k, I do expect the same treatment. I dont expect to have the best deal but a least something at the satisfactory mark (I'm happy if I can just get 1k off msrp).

I did asked them to throw in 1 free accessory and I hope they won't think that is the final deal. I didnt mentioned anything about discount off the msrp because the dealer still havent give a precise delivery date and the exact dollar amount, they only mentioned the arrival date around jan-march. The question is, should I get everything clear out (set the deal and final price) now or wait untill the vehicle arrives or close to arrival date?

Stiggs 10-29-2007 05:08 PM

It helps to have a good relationship with your dealer and the dealership. Also have a number in mind before you order the car. My Fiance and I negotiated the final number before we ordered the car. If we had never been to the dealership before and just came in off the street I'm not sure we could have gotten as much off MSRP as we did.:nix:

tinha28 10-29-2007 07:08 PM

Here are the basic strategies to negotiate from my credit union.

Negotiate Price

1. Always negotiate up from the invoice price (the dealer’s approximate cost plus 2–3%), never down from the manufacturer’s suggested retail price.

2. A reasonable price is usually 3–5% above invoice, depending on market demand.

3. Once you agree on sales price, make sure that it includes all of the agreed-upon items, i.e., CD player, anti-lock brakes, etc. Get it in writing.

4. Or you can shop at a dealer or retailer who has fixed prices. Have them sign a statement detailing the price and options you agree on. Only then should you ask about rebates.

Jorg 10-29-2007 09:46 PM

It is always a good idea to have a great relationship with the dealership. I just find it hard to believe that they sell these cars at a break even point, when they are sold out of their allotment for the next 6 months. As long as you believe you got a great deal that is all that matters.

Jorg

rb23lb 10-29-2007 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jorg (Post 2477806)
It is always a good idea to have a great relationship with the dealership. I just find it hard to believe that they sell these cars at a break even point, when they are sold out of their allotment for the next 6 months. As long as you believe you got a great deal that is all that matters.

Jorg

I got car for KBB invoice... so that is break even point until they get their kickback from mercedes-benz in a few months...

it is possible... just use email inquiries, and tell the dealer you are only willing to pay invoice...

they still make 3% profit after they get their holdback, which is worth it to high volume dealers for another sale in the books...

peabers 10-29-2007 10:12 PM

Oh I wish we could be working from invoice upwards here in Canada. Cars are in a short supply and dealers have nothing on the lots (some dealers don't even have a full set of demos). To compound the problem, MB Canada owns all the MB dealerships in the Toronto Area. So there's plenty of opportunity for price-fixing.

In fact, someone confessed that they are allowed a maximum of $1000 off MSRP. I wish someone would prove me wrong here...

Jorg 10-30-2007 08:29 PM

You are right, here in Canada it is hard to get a discount on a model that is sold out for the next 6 months. Why should they give you a discount when people are waiting in line will to pay MSRP. I think $ 1,000.00 is a generous discount in my book.

Reality is, right now they are in the driver's seat and they want to make hay when the sun shines.

Jorg

delirium 10-30-2007 09:08 PM

wow, I buying at invoice? The best I could to is $1350.00 over invoice... C350; p2, MM package. Scheduled to pick up in So. Cal tomorrow.

tinha28 10-30-2007 11:35 PM

I've made the order in early October and the dealer told me the car will arrive no later than Feb. But now dealer said it will arrive in late March. If I can wait until July, I can order the 2009 C class and expected it to arrive Sept. I will buy the 2008 C350 only if $2000 off MSRP. C350, P2, 18"=$36,917