MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Just how smart is the new key? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/216358-just-how-smart-new-key.html)

R0ME0 10-31-2007 12:39 PM

Just how smart is the new key?

Hey guys,

I was messing around with my gfs new e90 bmw 325i last night and discovered something somewhat neat. It appears that each key remembers the users different settings. Such as if my gf puts in her key to her car it will remember her radio stations, mirror settings, heat settings and lastly seat memory positions. I thought that this was pretty slick. Will the new C (W204) do this? Will it remember all your settings according to a different key put into the car? I know it won't do the memory seat thing since that is not an option but it'd be nice to know if it had this function. Thanks in advance!

oblu 10-31-2007 12:50 PM

Yeah, my e90 key was much "smarter" than the MB key. MB key doesn't remember anything that I can see when I tested between my wife's and mine.

R0ME0 10-31-2007 12:52 PM

Man that sux can anyone else confirm this?

e1000 10-31-2007 12:55 PM

they disabled this in 2005(?) for the C-class. I guess the new cars don't have the feature either.

PHYBENZ 10-31-2007 12:57 PM

They disabled this feature in not only the C but the E because of too many issues and problems with it. The C doesn't have memory seats so definetly not available in the US at least.

R0ME0 10-31-2007 12:57 PM

All this cool technology is the new C (W204) and the key is like caveman technology? :crazy::crazy::smash:

st13phil 10-31-2007 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by R0ME0 (Post 2480542)
All this cool technology is the new C (W204) and the key is like caveman technology? :crazy::crazy::smash:

FWIW, the MINI (as manufactured by BMW) has the same "intelligent" keys as the e90 BMW. Here in the UK they result in lots of calls to dealers either because some memorised setting hasn't been memorised, or (more likely) because the bonehead owner can't remember which settings are memorised and which aren't and thinks that soemthing should have been memorised when it shouldn't have. Maybe MB decided that KISS applies in this application and that it's safer not to have key-based memory for the car?

Or maybe it's because one of you litigation-happy 6-foot 5-inch 300lb Americans decided to sue a manufacturer when you picked up your 5-foot 1-inch 120lb gf's key and got yourself impaled on the steering wheel when the memory seat wound it's way forward? ;)

Txhurdle 10-31-2007 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by st13phil (Post 2480825)
Maybe MB decided that KISS applies in this application and that it's safer not to have key-based memory for the car?

Or maybe it's because one of you litigation-happy 6-foot 5-inch 300lb Americans decided to sue a manufacturer when you picked up your 5-foot 1-inch 120lb gf's key and got yourself impaled on the steering wheel when the memory seat wound it's way forward? ;)

Great Point. +1

AMG BRED 10-31-2007 03:40 PM

we don't even have memory settings for the seats.. you think they give a **** about the keys? :rofl:

st13phil 10-31-2007 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by AMG BRED (Post 2480837)
we don't even have memory settings for the seats

Perhaps I've explained why that is too :rolf:

thaihula 10-31-2007 05:11 PM

Love it!!

marcos 10-31-2007 05:26 PM

FWIW, the MINI (as manufactured by BMW) has the same "intelligent" keys as the e90 BMW. Here in the UK they result in lots of calls to dealers either because some memorised setting hasn't been memorised, or (more likely) because the bonehead owner can't remember which settings are memorised and which aren't and thinks that soemthing should have been memorised when it shouldn't have. Maybe MB decided that KISS applies in this application and that it's safer not to have key-based memory for the car?

Exactly what I was thinking lol :y

QQQ 10-31-2007 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by R0ME0 (Post 2480497)
Hey guys,

I was messing around with my gfs new e90 bmw 325i last night and discovered something somewhat neat. It appears that each key remembers the users different settings. Such as if my gf puts in her key to her car it will remember her radio stations, mirror settings, heat settings and lastly seat memory positions. I thought that this was pretty slick. Will the new C (W204) do this? Will it remember all your settings according to a different key put into the car? I know it won't do the memory seat thing since that is not an option but it'd be nice to know if it had this function. Thanks in advance!

My W203 MY2001 C320 has all these features. Each key saves the last radio station, A/C temp for both driver and passenger. The seat and side mirrors are even key dependent, i.e. each key stores 3 positions. When I bought the car I checked with sales and he said the key dependent feature can take a max of 3 keys. I ordered an extra key and so altogether the 3 keys can save 9 driver seat / mirror positions (i.e. K1M1, K1M2, K1M3, K2M1... K3M3). All it takes is set the key dependent feature on in the dash.

MB has this technology 7 years ago. It took that long to flow to BMW. That is retarded.

oblu 10-31-2007 06:00 PM

Or maybe it's because one of you litigation-happy 6-foot 5-inch 300lb Americans decided to sue a manufacturer when you picked up your 5-foot 1-inch 120lb gf's key and got yourself impaled on the steering wheel when the memory seat wound it's way forward?
Or possibly it's because MB owners are typically older, approaching senility and can't figure out how to program the Tivo their kids bought them let alone figure out how to use memory seats?

In all of my time on the BMW forums, I can't recall anybody ever complaining about the key memory.

Next they'll claim hand crank windows are better than electric.

RLE 10-31-2007 10:56 PM

Settings? What settings?

There isn't anything to remember, far as I can see.

RLE 10-31-2007 11:01 PM

Feechus

<<My W203 MY2001 C320 has all these features. Each key saves the last radio station, A/C temp for both driver and passenger. The seat and side mirrors are even key dependent, i.e. each key stores 3 positions. When I bought the car I checked with sales and he said the key dependent feature can take a max of 3 keys. I ordered an extra key and so altogether the 3 keys can save 9 driver seat / mirror positions (i.e. K1M1, K1M2, K1M3, K2M1... K3M3). All it takes is set the key dependent feature on in the dash. MB has this technology 7 years ago. It took that long to flow to BMW. That is retarded.>>

This little feature must have created more warranty claims in the W203 than all the rest. My '01 C320 lost it's mind more times than I can remember.

BTW, BMW had right mirror tilt down in reverse long before MB.

At 500 miles, nothing has crapped out so far in my C300.

QQQ 10-31-2007 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 2481564)
<<My W203 MY2001 C320 has all these features. Each key saves the last radio station, A/C temp for both driver and passenger. The seat and side mirrors are even key dependent, i.e. each key stores 3 positions. When I bought the car I checked with sales and he said the key dependent feature can take a max of 3 keys. I ordered an extra key and so altogether the 3 keys can save 9 driver seat / mirror positions (i.e. K1M1, K1M2, K1M3, K2M1... K3M3). All it takes is set the key dependent feature on in the dash. MB has this technology 7 years ago. It took that long to flow to BMW. That is retarded.>>

This little feature must have created more warranty claims in the W203 than all the rest. My '01 C320 lost it's mind more times than I can remember.

BTW, BMW had right mirror tilt down in reverse long before MB.

At 500 miles, nothing has crapped out so far in my C300.

The memory features work for my W203. No problem.

Yes but the BM tilt down motor is so slow and cranky it is retarded. MB tilt down motor is very smooth and silent. My brother has a BM so I know.

RLE 10-31-2007 11:52 PM

Retarded?

<<The memory features work for my W203. No problem.>>

Lucky you. Your car is the exception.

<<Yes but the BM tilt down motor is so slow and cranky it is retarded. MB tilt down motor is very smooth and silent. My brother has a BM so I know.>>

I'd rather not hear about your brother's BMs, thank you. Ohhh, you meant BMW.

As to smoooth and quiet, MY C320's right mirror motor ground itself to powder recently. 55000 miles.

Jorg 11-01-2007 10:28 AM

I can't wait to get home to test this feature. We never lock the cars in the garage, so when I want to use my wife's car, I open the door and push the #1 ( for the boss in the family ) button and wait until all setting have been made and then I get into the car.

Now I will have to test what happens when we lock the car and open it with the specific key # 1 or #2.

I use the "Fold in mirror" feature quiet a bit. I found out that when I fold in the mirrors, use a power washer inside my garage, water gets into the hinges and when I go the the theater, park the car, the mirrors fold in. Then when we come back to the car, and if it was very cold in the winter months, the mirror will not return to the proper position until I park the car in a warmer garage. So I don't use that feature when the cold winter months are here.

Jorg:zoom::zoom::zoom:

MBTex 11-01-2007 10:34 AM

Obviously it isn't available in the US, but it should adjust all "memory" settings in the car based on which key it recognizes. That's the way my Acura worked anyway.

R0ME0 11-01-2007 04:45 PM

Boo! I really hope the 09 model has this feature added because for a while MB was totally selling me over the 335...I may have to reconsider now.... :nix:

MBTex 11-01-2007 05:21 PM

For what it's worth you can raise and lower all windows in the car remotely with the US remote....but that's the only trick I think it does.

egtgrant 11-01-2007 07:17 PM

I know that in several vehicles (including the Audi and Lexus that I own), the key functionality can be programmed by the dealer. In both cases, there was a 1-time free re-programming after taking delivery of the car. In other words, functionality can be added, altered, or removed by the dealer. It may be that this functionality (or other interesting tricks) could be added by the dealer.

Given that this functionality is enabled in other markets (Canadians get memory seats), there are probably untapped tricks that can be unlocked here in the US.

Question for the Canadians present... When using a different key to unlock the car, does the seat position automatically change to position #1 (for that key)? If so, the US folks might be able to get (very basic) memory seat functionality just by using the key. 1 memory position per key (no buttons to change to another memory location)... But hey... it's a start...

R0ME0 11-01-2007 07:25 PM

Agreed! Please Kanucks chime in :D

QQQ 11-02-2007 12:12 PM

My W203 do recognize which key is being used. Say if I use my key to unlock the door after my wife locks the car, the seat moves back when I open the driver door for easy entry-exit, and then the seat moves forward when I insert the key to my saved position. And between the 3 keys I have it can save 9 driver seat positions.