MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   warm up? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/216683-warm-up.html)

delirium 11-02-2007 04:17 PM

warm up?

The manual does not mention any warm up procedures in the morning... do you guys warm up your car? I do not.

imboom 11-02-2007 04:19 PM

I think its better to let it warm up for less than a minute then head out; you won't need to warm up to regular operating levels. Then don't drive it too hard until it gets to that.

MBTex 11-02-2007 04:42 PM

it's not an old diesel....let it idle for 20 seconds when you start it up and go!

oblu 11-02-2007 04:44 PM

Except in the case where you have to park outside because the contractor doing remodel work is using your garage for staging. Then you gotta sit and let it warm up until the frost melts enough to see. :D

MBTex 11-02-2007 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by oblu (Post 2484477)
Except in the case where you have to park outside because the contractor doing remodel work is using your garage for staging. Then you gotta sit and let it warm up until the frost melts enough to see. :D

Not a problem where I live! :p:

ATSOBE 11-02-2007 10:36 PM

Always warm it 5 mintues

I had many car all still with original parts from factory after 7 seven years. Never replaced anything expect a car battery. My conclusion is never ever run it till the temperature is at operating temperature. I warm it up till the needle goes up . I give my 350 5 min most days it easier on the engine all parts get lubricated real good cause the car is hot. And the engine doesnt have any stress while it warms up. Plus all part get warmed up slowly even the alternator run better. I always wet mine with wd -40 all over alternator an inside to keep it running like new. IT cleans it and lubricated the bearing plus i always spray all the fan too. To keep em running like new I spray where the bearings are. This has always worked for me lube it run fore ever.

jdlogan151 11-02-2007 10:39 PM

They have a fast warm-up feature that IS mentioned in the manual. Wait until the RPMs drop and go.

LaicepsYdobon 11-03-2007 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by ATSOBE (Post 2484905)
I warm it up till the needle goes up . I give my 350 5 min most days it easier on the engine all parts get lubricated real good cause the car is hot.

Wow ! 5 minutes ?! That seems a little long to me. I've read somewhere that you don't really need to warm up modern cars (especially non-diesel ones). I usually get into the car and turn it on. The car will idle at a higher RPM then usual for about 20 seconds and then it will drop. That's when I put it in reverse to leave my garage.

TchrzBenz 11-03-2007 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon (Post 2485059)
Wow ! 5 minutes ?! That seems a little long to me. I've read somewhere that you don't really need to warm up modern cars (especially non-diesel ones). I usually get into the car and turn it on. The car will idle at a higher RPM then usual for about 20 seconds and then it will drop. That's when I put it in reverse to leave my garage.

Ditto...

GDawgC220 11-03-2007 11:01 AM

3rd. If you let your car idle for a while, it causes extra wear on the engine and more emissions than if you were to drive it till it warmed up. Get in, start her up, seat belt, adjust radio, climate, etc and get going.

AsianML 11-03-2007 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by ATSOBE (Post 2484905)
I had many car all still with original parts from factory after 7 seven years. Never replaced anything expect a car battery. My conclusion is never ever run it till the temperature is at operating temperature. I warm it up till the needle goes up . I give my 350 5 min most days it easier on the engine all parts get lubricated real good cause the car is hot. And the engine doesnt have any stress while it warms up. Plus all part get warmed up slowly even the alternator run better. I always wet mine with wd -40 all over alternator an inside to keep it running like new. IT cleans it and lubricated the bearing plus i always spray all the fan too. To keep em running like new I spray where the bearings are. This has always worked for me lube it run fore ever.

That's overkill. Our last car was rarely ever warmed up, except in the winter for a minute or two to get the seat heaters warmed up a bit. That one went 7 years without a single problem either.

As mentioned before, you'll do more harm letting it idle for 5 minutes than if you just get in and go. The important thing is don't push it hard at all when it's cold.

pmb600 11-03-2007 01:43 PM

I remember reading in my manual something about let it warm for approx 45 sec and then go. Any longer will not be beneficial.

Btw, even if I'm in a hurry I at least wait until the RPM needle drops after about 10 sec or so when I first start up the car. I do this whenever I start the car, even if it has been on already that day. I hate when people start the car and a millisecond later throw it into gear, that can't be good.

LaicepsYdobon 11-03-2007 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by pmb600 (Post 2485508)
I hate when people start the car and a millisecond later throw it into gear, that can't be good.

You so need to talk to my wife :)

peabers 11-03-2007 03:06 PM

Lived in Canada for 16 years and we never leave the car running for 5 minutes, even in the winter. Just let it run long enough for the needle to drop, and then take it easy until the car reaches normal operating temperates. Never had problems with my cars.

Besides, excessive idling is bad for the environment.

Kieffer 11-03-2007 05:21 PM

With synthetic oil, my understanding was that you didn't have to worry about a lack of oil protection at a cold start. I'm gentle on the car for the first few minutes, then I just drive normally. I do miss our old X5 4.6is that had the tachometer that adjusted the redline depending on how warm / cold the engine was. But even that engine would let you go to 4K rpms right after starting at 0 degrees (and no, I never tried it!).

e1000 11-03-2007 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon (Post 2485548)
You so need to talk to my wife :)

:rolf::rolf::rolf::rolf:

ATSOBE 11-03-2007 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by GDawgC220 (Post 2485345)
3rd. If you let your car idle for a while, it causes extra wear on the engine and more emissions than if you were to drive it till it warmed up. Get in, start her up, seat belt, adjust radio, climate, etc and get going.

How can it casue extra wear if your running an engine with no load at all. It on parked when u drive you put on a load on the engine and on a cold engine someone get on my team. Everyone just sticks in the key and rides away I see. There has to be someone like me on this post who agrees with my method.

peabers 11-03-2007 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by ATSOBE (Post 2485934)
How can it casue extra wear if your running an engine with no load at all.

Ok, this is from the Canadian government (dispute as you please)...
• An idling engine releases twice as many exhaust fumes than a vehicle in motion.
• If every driver in Canada avoided idling for 5 minutes a day, we could prevent 1.6 million tonnes of carbon dioxide from being emitted.
• No more than 30 seconds of idling is needed for oil to circulate through your engine. Many components, such as the wheel bearings, tires and suspension system will only warm up once the vehicle is moving.
•Restarting your car many times has little impact on engine components, adding only around $10 per year to the cost of driving, money that is recovered in fuel savings.
• Ten seconds of idling uses more fuel than restarting the engine.
• Idling can damage your engine since it is not operating at its peak temperature where fuel is completely burned. Fuel residue from incomplete burning can damage engine parts.
• Idling a vehicle for 10 minutes a day uses an average of 100 litres of gas a year. If gas costs 70 cents a litre, you will save $70 per year, just by turning your key.
• During the winter, Canadians idle their vehicles for a combined total of 75 million minutes/day. This is equal to a vehicle idling for 144 years. Although we idle our vehicles about 40% less in summer, we still waste an enormous amount of fuel and money.
• A block heater warms the oil and engine coolant, making it easier to start your vehicle and improving winter fuel economy by as much as 10%.
Discounting harm to the environment (if we are all thinking selfishly) , I'd say points #3 and #6 would be good reasons not to "warm-up" your car.

AsianML 11-03-2007 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by ATSOBE (Post 2485934)
How can it casue extra wear if your running an engine with no load at all. It on parked when u drive you put on a load on the engine and on a cold engine someone get on my team. Everyone just sticks in the key and rides away I see. There has to be someone like me on this post who agrees with my method.

Read up:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s2044311.htm
http://www.wcr.ab.ca/news/2002/0128/...up012802.shtml