MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Do you use the parking brake every time you park? Is it better for the car? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/217647-do-you-use-parking-brake-every-time-you-park-better-car.html)

rb23lb 11-09-2007 01:19 PM

Do you use the parking brake every time you park? Is it better for the car?

I have been using the parking break every time I park because if I dont, after I take my foot off the break and the car is in park, the car will inch forward just a tad wither front or backwards depending on the slope of the land I am stopped on... I Figured it is probably bad for the cars transmission to always be using the transmission to catch it and stop it after putting it in park, so do you guys all use the parking break too everytime you park???

You think it is necessary or not?

The Benz 11-09-2007 01:41 PM

If you're parking on level ground I don't think that it matters. That being said, I DO use the parking brake every time I park. I've witnessed several Fords slip out of park, both with the engine running and turned off. I know you can't compare Ford to Mercedes, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

RobertG 11-09-2007 01:43 PM

If you are on an incline put the parking brake on to limit the stress on the transmission and it's mount, also it make it easier to shift from park to gear.
Some vehicles used the parking brake to adjust the rear brakes as the shoes wore.

Jorg 11-09-2007 02:03 PM

I use the parking breaks, if I park on an incline, such as my driveway, but on a near level ground, I do not use the Park Break.

I think it is good if you use the parking break from time to time or they seize up if never used. The service manager always tells me that for our pick-up trucks to do.

Jorg

jrct9454 11-09-2007 02:56 PM

I've always used the parking brake, 100% of the time, no exceptions. It's better for the transmission, and the only way to be sure the car won't move. I started driving in 1962, and in 45 years, I've never depended on the transmission to hold a car in a parking situation...period.

rb23lb 11-09-2007 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by jrct9454 (Post 2495655)
I've always used the parking brake, 100% of the time, no exceptions. It's better for the transmission, and the only way to be sure the car won't move. I started driving in 1962, and in 45 years, I've never depended on the transmission to hold a car in a parking situation...period.

+1, glad to know i am not the only crazy one who does it every time

oblu 11-09-2007 06:38 PM

I even go one further ... being that I commonly drive manuals.

I set the parking brake with the car in neutral, let it roll that little bit until the parking brake catches and then set the car in gear/park.

BlackMercBenz 11-10-2007 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by rb23lb (Post 2496023)
+1, glad to know i am not the only crazy one who does it every time

+1

:zoom:
"If stares were arrows, I wouldn't have anything but holes on my C!"

Shake 11-10-2007 12:32 AM

I've never done this :nix:

JimPap 11-10-2007 07:36 AM

Parking brake? What the hell's that??

Just kidding....I use mine about half the time.

Untertürkheim 11-10-2007 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by oblu (Post 2496030)
I even go one further ... being that I commonly drive manuals.

I set the parking brake with the car in neutral, let it roll that little bit until the parking brake catches and then set the car in gear/park.

+1

jeramiah1945 11-10-2007 08:44 AM

Don't Use it!

Repeated use of the parking brake can stretch the cable making it unable to hold on a hill when you really need it. Also, forgetting to release the brakes when you pull away is never a good thing and you WILL do it. Use it on hills and when you need to but not every time. My 2 cents.

QQQ 11-10-2007 09:45 AM

I did just for peace of mind.

ffejalink 11-10-2007 11:33 AM

I only set the brake when parked on an incline. I do this regardless of driving a stick or auto (I never left a stick parked in neutral).

bonds 11-10-2007 01:34 PM

I tend to park the car with the parking brake. I do it regardless if I am on a hill or flat surface. Just habbit..

AsianML 11-10-2007 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by jeramiah1945 (Post 2496741)
Repeated use of the parking brake can stretch the cable making it unable to hold on a hill when you really need it. Also, forgetting to release the brakes when you pull away is never a good thing and you WILL do it. Use it on hills and when you need to but not every time. My 2 cents.

I think all MBs have parking brake warnings. :nix:

peabers 11-10-2007 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by AsianML (Post 2497341)
I think all MBs have parking brake warnings. :nix:

+1

And for the poster who warmed against stretching the cable because of repeated use... Is replacing a transmission going to be cheaper than replacing the cable? :slap:

rb23lb 11-10-2007 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by peabers (Post 2497415)
+1

And for the poster who warmed against stretching the cable because of repeated use... Is replacing a transmission going to be cheaper than replacing the cable? :slap:

+10

BlackMercBenz 11-11-2007 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by rb23lb (Post 2497462)
+10

+11

:zoom:

jrct9454 11-11-2007 09:21 AM

In any case, adjusting the parking brake when and as the cable stretches is easy...this is hardly a reason not to use it every time.

Boom vang 11-11-2007 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by jeramiah1945 (Post 2496741)

I have had a manual car ever since I've been driving (since 1981) and set the p-brake everytime I park and not once have I ever had to replace the parking brake cable (across all makes and nationalities of cars). On the otherhand I've heard of people with Auto cars never using the brake and having to replace either the rear mechanism or the cable because it seizes up due to lack of use especially in northern climates when salt is poured on the streets.

And if you forget to release it before you drive off, then you really should not be driving

whatup? 11-11-2007 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Boom vang (Post 2498193)
I have had a manual car ever since I've been driving (since 1981) and set the p-brake everytime I park and not once have I ever had to replace the parking brake cable (across all makes and nationalities of cars). On the otherhand I've heard of people with Auto cars never using the brake and having to replace either the rear mechanism or the cable because it seizes up due to lack of use especially in northern climates when salt is poured on the streets.

And if you forget to release it before you drive off, then you really should not be driving

Since I drive stick, I set the parking brake whenever I drive any car. It's just a force of habit. I don't have a car in NYC, and only drive when I go home - my parents have a Jaguar S-Type, my old C220 and a 1990 Miata - all with different parking brakes (electronic, pedal activated, and regular hand pull). Though the Miata is the only stick car, I still set the brakes in all, but I usually end up kicking the floorboards of the Jag and reaching for a non-existent release every time.

We had the parking brake cable replaced on the Miata - but the car is 18 years old with over 125,000 miles.

TEAShea 11-12-2007 09:46 AM

I think it is a good idea when parking on an incline. However, this is not a matter of damage to the tranmisison. The stress on a transmission in holding the car is about a small fraction of a percent compared to the stress that the transmission is designed for when shifting at high torque.

TEAShea
from Nebraska

lx Raven xl 11-12-2007 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by peabers (Post 2497415)
+1

+12