MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Are the car seats hard on your C300 ? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/217871-car-seats-hard-your-c300.html)

JimPap 11-11-2007 10:21 AM

Are the car seats hard on your C300 ?

Seems that after driving a while, my posterior gets fairly sore from what seems to be a hard car seat.

Do others find the seats (primarily the driver's seat and probably the others) in the C300 a bit hard?

Does it get any better in time or are you adding a cushion.

Just a FYI, I started to title this thread "Is it my butt, or are the car seats hard".

ora12 11-11-2007 11:28 AM

My C300 has MBTex and the seating is definately firm but I'm sure over time it'll get better. If your in that much pain add a cushion if need be.

JimPap 11-11-2007 02:45 PM

Definately firm.

Do MB seats give a bit more over time or is this pretty much what its going to be?

RLE 11-11-2007 10:40 PM

Seats

Extending the lumbar support half way has made a big difference in seat comfort. BTW, 204 seats are far better than 203.

Krytech 11-11-2007 10:53 PM

I was wondering if the lux seats any softer? I didn't drive the lux before I bought my C350 but I think they had different seats. It's going to take some getting used to since I've been driving a SUV for the past 4 years, when I sit in the C350 it feels like I'm sitting on the ground.

jrct9454 11-12-2007 09:28 AM

OK, I'll admit this thread has me chuckling ever so slightly...

All MBs have firm seats - this is a characteristic of the Germans in general, and MB in particular. I prefer it this way, as it is my experience that on really long days, a softer seat actually causes more problems. And it has nothing to do with what kind of cover is on the seat [Tex vs leather], or which model you pick.

If this is new to you, I predict you'll come to prefer it over time, especially after long days in the saddle. If not, there are various solutions, including MB's own accessory sheepskin inserts [see the website].

Since we took delivery of our car and immediately embarked on a trip that wound up being over 4700 miles, I can safely say these seats surely do fit my needs...yours may be different...

TEAShea 11-12-2007 09:36 AM

Mercedes' have always had very firm seats. I remember my dad's 1968 280 SE, that had very firm seats - like the C350. I like it that way. I find it more supportive.

TEAShea
from Nebraska

Jorg 11-12-2007 10:34 AM

When I test drove the C300 I commented that the seats were very firm. I was told that the seats on a C350 are different and they were right. I would have to see both, side by side, to tell the difference, but they surely feel a bit more accommodating.

Jorg

peabers 11-12-2007 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jorg (Post 2499039)
When I test drove the C300 I commented that the seats were very firm. I was told that the seats on a C350 are different and they were right. I would have to see both, side by side, to tell the difference, but they surely feel a bit more accommodating.

I've got the C350W4M and the seats are definitely supportive (read: firm). I appreciate it on the long ride as I don't feel like I am sinking into the seat. Not sure if the seats are different between the C300 and the C350, if you get MBTex, which is what I got. I was surprised that it is perforated though. Thought only the leather seats were perforated, which are a definite different design.

If you want soft seats, go get a Town Car. :naughty:

JimPap 11-22-2007 07:48 AM

Since I was the one who started this thread, I though that I would update it with a recent experience.

Last Friday, I drove 800 miles with a feather pillow between me and the seat from hell. After I got to my destination, I quit using the pillow. For two days I didn't use the pillow but did turn on the heated seats a few times(have not used the heated seats before). I came back Monday (another 800 miles) and didn't use the pillow. The seat didn't feel all that bad. Definately not soft, but not painful either. Lets say drivable without noticing it.

Now I can't say in absolute terms why the seats are more comfortable, but my bet is that running the heating element in the seats helps form the foam rubber in the seats to the shape of the person sitting in it. The rental that I had that had 24,000 miles that I drove for 400 miles that didn't have the heated seats were just as firm as my seats were prior to running the heating element.

Anyone else that thinks the seats are particularly hard may want to run the heater in the seats a few times to see if it helps.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

dream 01-09-2008 06:50 PM

mbseats

hanks for giving me the info regarding seats in the c 300.i was concerned that the seats are too hard.i am currently driving an old comfy cadilac and a old c320.i m considering the new c 300 luxury model.

oblu 01-09-2008 07:31 PM

I've been having a hard time getting a seating position that doesn't cause some discomfort after only 30min. I don't have much padding back there anymore.

I think it might be down to the seat bottom being so flat; the actual cushion itself doesn't seem to be any stiffer than any of my other cars.

JimPap 01-09-2008 07:54 PM

Be sure that the lumbar support is in the middle position to start with.

That also seem to help in my case.

Savage c-300 01-09-2008 08:26 PM

i dont have any issues with the seats at all! maybe you just have to adjust it correctly to the conture of your back? but after reading some of the post on top, i also did use the heated seats right from the start so that could have made a difference.

CarGuru 01-10-2008 02:55 AM

On any drive over an hour to two hours my wife and I are complaining because the seats are not that comfortable. In fact the seats in my '07 Toyota Tacoma are about 10X better in every way except they are not leather. And I don't think all MB seats are hard. I've sat in a CLS which was like sitting on a soft leather sofa and an SL55 which was like sitting in a big hand sculpted to your body. Also a friend has a W129 SL500 and those seats are super soft & comfortable. My biggest gripe with our W204 is the hard, unforgiving seats in contrast they work great when your driving spirited but suck when your not.

-Ryan

Rick Hunter 01-10-2008 03:56 AM

The seats could use more side bolstering, but otherwise they've treated my back well. I haven't taken it out for longer than an hours drive, though.

peabers 01-10-2008 08:53 AM

In my roadtrip this week, me and my passenger spent about 6 hours in the car over the course of two days. I appreciated the supportiveness of the seats during the long drives, and I heard no complaints from the coworker. He usually drives a ES300 so he knows cushy seats. :rolf:

azcats02 01-10-2008 09:30 AM

My name is Jeff, and I have a boney ass. I actually find the seats in my 300 quite nice....better than my A4 at least. I do recall noticing a bit more "softness" after running the seat heater for a few minutes.

MBTex 01-10-2008 11:02 AM

i do believe that MB has always had "stiffer" seats then other makes. Something to do with the German "cars are for driving, not relaxing" mentality.

I've got a bad back and have found that my seats are great on it. Took a bit of getting used to, but that lumbar support is great. I keep mine all the way down and the front of the seat raised up so both my back and my legs get plenty of support.

Also, I believe the Sport seats are a little more stiff than the Lux seats.