MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Nano coating??? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/219041-nano-coating.html)

430752 11-19-2007 12:19 AM

Nano coating???

When I bought my c300 sport 4matic on Saturday (not from the orig. dealer, he lied about it being in stock, but another dealer 15 miles away had one for same price), the F&I guy tried to sell me on Nano-Coating for the paint. No, I didn't buy, but was wondering if this was even legit? I'd be pissed if an MB dealer was trying to pull what even the chevy dealers have given up on.

THe MB dealership was nice and didn't seem to want to pull a fast one on any part of the deal, so I thought twice about this, but said no. Should I have gone for it? $600, he'd go to $400, which is maybe a tip-oof right there! Anyway, he said they strip the wax, coat the car, and from then-on most everything should hose off. Seemed too good to be true. But, I've heard nano-particle technology is being used in the oem paint by some mfrs, could this be similar? More curious than anything, as I have a black car now and know I'll be washing and waxing that thing all the time!

-c300 sport 4 matic
black on black mbtex
p1
mmc
ipod
pano roof
soon: tints, maybe clear bra depending on price, debadging

chilledbenz 11-19-2007 12:32 AM

Nano-particle paint is standard on all C Classes. Its a paint which is said to resist minor swirls and scratches. Sounds to me like he either didn't know what he was trying to sell, or he was attempting to pull the wool over your eyes.

lx Raven xl 11-19-2007 02:50 AM

yes its standard. You do not have to pay a penny for it. I know for metalic paints nano-particles are ther for sure. Not 100% sure about the standard paints.

SirOracle 11-19-2007 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by lx Raven xl (Post 2510729)
yes its standard. You do not have to pay a penny for it. I know for metalic paints nano-particles are ther for sure. Not 100% sure about the standard paints.

The brochure says the nano-paint is standard for all cars metallic and non-metallic.

CinOttawa 11-19-2007 10:35 AM

Maybe he was trying to get you to upgrade your paint to Obidsan Black rather than the normal black....that would make sense in terms of $600.

Anyways, i wouldn't waste my money at a dealer that is shooting straight or doesn't even know what he is selling.

Stick Girl 11-19-2007 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by CinOttawa (Post 2510966)
Maybe he was trying to get you to upgrade your paint to Obidsan Black rather than the normal black....that would make sense in terms of $600.

I don't know how that could have been the case since the car wasn't being ordered. How can they "upgrade" the paint after the fact?

Krytech 11-19-2007 11:07 AM

Buyer Beware. Sounds like a scam. Everyone is correct, nano-particle is standard on ALL C's now. And technically, it is the clear coat that incorporates the nano-technology, not the paint, so even the standard black & white painted cars will include this.

MAYBE, he was offering to give the car a through wash/wax/? which will offer some protection, but I'd be leery. $600 sounds like a lot for that. Maybe get a clear bra or other product installed to help reduce the chips on the front of the car. IMO, I think that would be much better investment to make to your new car.

430752 11-19-2007 03:46 PM

thanks

Thanks for the responses. Didn't know the nano was already in the paint. As far as the dealer, it was the f&i guy, who was clearly trying to sell me on an addiitive or coating or something extra. Knowing the above, I don't think there was any way he wasn't trying to sell me snake oil. Which is terrible for a Mercedes dealer, in my opinion, but I'm learning mercedes are no better than the rest with the two additional bad dealer experiences I had in purchasing this car. Maybe its "shame on me" to think a Merc dealer would be a cut above, but the three I went to were jut as bad as the Honda I helped my wife buy in 2000. Hell, I've had better times buying a ford in 2002 and another honda (another dealer) in 2006. Much better.

Well, Mercedes should get their act together, cuz while I may buy for the car, I've learned not to buy for any service.

chilledbenz 11-19-2007 04:27 PM

Not all Benz dealerships are that way. My dealership hasn't steered me wrong yet, I have had a few problems but they really worked hard to make things right. Maybe you just got a new guy that wasn't %100 sure what he was selling. Anything that requires me to strip away anything from a new car, and then spray something over it, doesn't sound good to me. I haven't heard of anything like that, there is Zebart and other products that help with rust proofing, but Benz cars are warranted up to 100k for rust, so why they would try to sell you that I have no clue either.

stealtheo 11-19-2007 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by 430752 (Post 2510566)
When I bought my c300 sport 4matic on Saturday (not from the orig. dealer, he lied about it being in stock, but another dealer 15 miles away had one for same price), the F&I guy tried to sell me on Nano-Coating for the paint. No, I didn't buy, but was wondering if this was even legit? I'd be pissed if an MB dealer was trying to pull what even the chevy dealers have given up on.

THe MB dealership was nice and didn't seem to want to pull a fast one on any part of the deal, so I thought twice about this, but said no. Should I have gone for it? $600, he'd go to $400, which is maybe a tip-oof right there! Anyway, he said they strip the wax, coat the car, and from then-on most everything should hose off. Seemed too good to be true. But, I've heard nano-particle technology is being used in the oem paint by some mfrs, could this be similar? More curious than anything, as I have a black car now and know I'll be washing and waxing that thing all the time!

-c300 sport 4 matic
black on black mbtex
p1
mmc
ipod
pano roof
soon: tints, maybe clear bra depending on price, debadging

You sure it wasn't SIMONIZE he was trying to sell you?

emps 11-19-2007 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by stealtheo (Post 2512442)

I was expecting that from the F&I dept, but they only tried to sell me the tire/rim warranty, BloJack, and the extended warranty. They're less aggressive than when I bought my BMW.

Stiggs 11-20-2007 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by stealtheo (Post 2512442)

I was thinking that too. Thats what the dealer gave me for free when I bought my CLK55. Big whoopie. I'm not sure if its made a difference or not.:nix:

aowhaus 11-20-2007 12:12 AM

The nano/ceramic particle-technology was introduced on the latest generation S- and CL-class and is continues as standard equipment on the C-class and eventually throughout the entire Mercedes line.

I was talking to the leading auto detailing supply shop here in Colorado (Detailer's Paradise) and they say that it requires very little maintanence and polishing/waxing as the ceramic based paint is extremely durable and very resistant to swirl marks, fine scratches, oxidation and other contaminates.
This is a huge plus to those who ordered theirs in black as they will reap this feature the most.
The only downside is that if you ever get into an accident there is next to no body shops that can replicate the same type of paint technology so your repaired panels will wear much faster than the factory painted parts.
I was ready to purchase a small fortune in detailing products but I was told all I need to do to my new C is to wash it thoroughly and clay bar it if the surface is not glass-smooth and do a light waxing and that is all!

emps 11-20-2007 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by aowhaus (Post 2512570)
The nano/ceramic particle-technology was introduced on the latest generation S- and CL-class and is continues as standard equipment on the C-class and eventually throughout the entire Mercedes line.

I was talking to the leading auto detailing supply shop here in Colorado (Detailer's Paradise) and they say that it requires very little maintanence and polishing/waxing as the ceramic based paint is extremely durable and very resistant to swirl marks, fine scratches, oxidation and other contaminates.
This is a huge plus to those who ordered theirs in black as they will reap this feature the most.
The only downside is that if you ever get into an accident there is next to no body shops that can replicate the same type of paint technology so your repaired panels will wear much faster than the factory painted parts.
I was ready to purchase a small fortune in detailing products but I was told all I need to do to my new C is to wash it thoroughly and clay bar it if the surface is not glass-smooth and do a light waxing and that is all!

So I can sell my Porter Cable 7424? I really hope it's true that there will be less swirling and spider webbing on dark cars now.