MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Nagging missing/mispalced items (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/219176-nagging-missing-mispalced-items.html)

430752 11-19-2007 05:58 PM

Nagging missing/mispalced items

Okay, I've only had the car a few days so I know and realize I'm nitpicking for what is otherwise a pretty good car and for things I'll grow to live with. And I know people here (myself included) have beat to death the big stuff like missing keyless go, memory seats, side airbags, text-to-speech, etc.

But I've got other nagging items that I wonder if its me, maybe I just don't get it, or do others think of the following:

- I want to murder the designer who put the cruise control stalk right where my hands land so that every time I go to signal I actually end up setting the cruise control? True, i will likely grow beyond it in a few weeks, but still, its right there at perfect placement at the tips of your fingers as you're driving. But nooooo, the actual turn signal stalk is lower, much lower, unnaturally lower. Having cruise there must be great to those who drive highway all the time, but sucks for those who don't or can't use cruise.

- Where the hell are the coin storage slots? You know, for coins for toll booths or parking meters? Yeah, we all have EZPass now, or IPass or etc., but I still like to have a couple bux in coin with me for parking meters and the toll booths when the EZPass lane is clogged. So far I've put them in the ashtray area by removing the ashtray insert, but this is: one small, two unsorted, and three inconvenient to try to reach around the gear selector to get unsorted chage. Sure I might be nitpicking, but I'd have thought a $40K car would have better ergonomics than a $10K hyundai. Am I missing it, is it there and I'm simply too blind to see it (it was nighttime) or is this something I'm supposed to tell myself distinguishes a Merc from all others? I must be superior since I can't carry coin in my car in an organized manner.

- Why is there no power outlet in the center storage area to charge my cell phone? Again, even a $18K honda as a power outlet in the center armrest storage compartment with a pass-through (hole or flap) so that your cell phone charge plugs in the center and can charge your phone while attached to your cell phone resting on the center console without any wires or plugs or etc. littering the cabin and having a giant dongle invade your gear shift area. Think you don't need it? well, try driving down to Philly in the morning, then up the turnpike to Newark for an afternoon meeting, then going to Manhattan at night for dinner, all while using bluetooth on your blackberry while receiving emails without charging your phone once. And, even if you don't do that, or anything like it, why would merc put such a nice and seemless bluetooth system into the car with voice recognition and hands free, etc., just to require you to plug in your phone's power adapter in a manner used 10 years ago? Again, nitpicking, but why does a company which is trying to provide a nice interior plan so poorly? Sure, its just wires, but dammit if my buddy in his civic has a nicer phone set-up than this so-called uber car.

Okay, that's my rant for now, more to follow later I'm sure. And, to make clear, I still like the car, but man if the bloom didn't come of the rose pretty darn quickly when I went to move my change from my old car and was dumbfounded over something so small and already so well integrated everywhere else as a crummy, freakin' change bin. I'm wondering if MB doesn't take me for a fool!

oblu 11-19-2007 06:02 PM

:rolf: Love the rant on the cruise control stalk. I still occasionally hit that instead of the turn signal.

But I learned of it's brilliance on a long drive; being able to drive like your right arm was amputated. If your left hand is at the 9-10 o clock position you barely have to move your fingers to adjust the cruise speed.

Krytech 11-19-2007 06:22 PM

I also agree on the turn signal/cruise arm. It'll take some getting used to. Coin thing doesn't bother me, but my wife noticed that right away too. She uses hers often. She also uses her AC outlet all the time for charging her phone. I'm going to have to install one of those before too long.

AsianML 11-19-2007 06:22 PM

I love the cruise control stalk, and who uses coin slots anymore? :rolf:

Just kidding. :p: All valid opinions. The cruise control stalk has been that way for some time now.

MBTex 11-19-2007 06:54 PM

Had the same issue with the cruise control thing....took about a week but I'm used to it now.

ryanrohaley 11-19-2007 07:22 PM

You and I share a view on each one of those. As a matter of fact, I just got home from Target to pick up something that I can store my loose change in. Right now, I have it in that little slot in the console. What's that slot for anyway? It doesn't fit my cell phone (which again...would not be able to be charged since there's no outlet) and it doesn't even fit my packs of gum. I hate having to have my phone charger plugged into the cigarette lighter.

The turn signal/cruise control pain will go away after a couple weeks...

emps 11-19-2007 08:08 PM

That damn cruise control stalk was the first thing that bugged me as soon as I drove away from the dealer. Have I been driving with my hands in the wrong place all these years? :)

That little slot in the console was another big mystery. Client care guy couldn't even figure it out when he was showing the car. You can pull it out with the tab, but it really doesn't fit anything logical.

trumpet1 11-19-2007 08:32 PM

The cruise control stalk is a problem indeed. My S600 has it located just right but when I jump into my wife's C class, that is the first thing I do down the street is accidentally set the cruise.:mad:Maybe if we complain enough, they will redesign the stalk so that it can still come out of the opening that is already there but be directed up and forward a bit. That wouldn't cost that much to modify and place them in our cars for FREE. A few rear-enders caused by this mistake might create a stink for MB!

Also, I can't understand why the Lexus IS250 we traded in for this Merc had keyless entry and keyless start and was 10K less!!! Much of the above items mentioned went unnoticed until we bought it. Kinda wondering if we made a big mistake.

430752 11-19-2007 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by trumpet1 (Post 2512187)
Also, I can't understand why the Lexus IS250 we traded in for this Merc had keyless entry and keyless start and was 10K less!!! Much of the above items mentioned went unnoticed until we bought it. Kinda wondering if we made a big mistake.

Yeah, that's kind of where I was going with this post, and others on the big missing items (keyless go, memory seats, etc.) and the lack of speed on the c3004matic, but then I must add its still a blast to drive! Really. Sure, some of that is a new car euphoria, and another bit the fact that its the first real car I've owned (read, first not value car, so it should be well sorted-out in terms of suspension, etc.), but genuinely I know its a nice car. Its just little stuff like this that bugs me. I guess I set the bar too high when I thought (conciously or sub-conciously) that if I buy the Merc I'll be getting perfection. They promised me a mercedes right? Or older: engineered for perfection? Screw that, I got a nice car that has as many warts as any other, but in different areas.

So, for the time being I know (think?) I made the right choice. But, next go around, when I get to the e-class/5series/a6 (which I actually have money for now, but no room in the garage) I won't give mercedes any special value or permium over a lexus or an audi. I wonder if Mercedes has thought about that damage when they obviously omitted some stuff to either be price competitive or to earn a JD powers ranking in its first year, or both.:confused:

stealtheo 11-19-2007 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by 430752 (Post 2511898)
Okay, I've only had the car a few days so I know and realize I'm nitpicking for what is otherwise a pretty good car and for things I'll grow to live with. And I know people here (myself included) have beat to death the big stuff like missing keyless go, memory seats, side airbags, text-to-speech, etc.

But I've got other nagging items that I wonder if its me, maybe I just don't get it, or do others think of the following:

- I want to murder the designer who put the cruise control stalk right where my hands land so that every time I go to signal I actually end up setting the cruise control? True, i will likely grow beyond it in a few weeks, but still, its right there at perfect placement at the tips of your fingers as you're driving. But nooooo, the actual turn signal stalk is lower, much lower, unnaturally lower. Having cruise there must be great to those who drive highway all the time, but sucks for those who don't or can't use cruise.

- Where the hell are the coin storage slots? You know, for coins for toll booths or parking meters? Yeah, we all have EZPass now, or IPass or etc., but I still like to have a couple bux in coin with me for parking meters and the toll booths when the EZPass lane is clogged. So far I've put them in the ashtray area by removing the ashtray insert, but this is: one small, two unsorted, and three inconvenient to try to reach around the gear selector to get unsorted chage. Sure I might be nitpicking, but I'd have thought a $40K car would have better ergonomics than a $10K hyundai. Am I missing it, is it there and I'm simply too blind to see it (it was nighttime) or is this something I'm supposed to tell myself distinguishes a Merc from all others? I must be superior since I can't carry coin in my car in an organized manner.

- Why is there no power outlet in the center storage area to charge my cell phone? Again, even a $18K honda as a power outlet in the center armrest storage compartment with a pass-through (hole or flap) so that your cell phone charge plugs in the center and can charge your phone while attached to your cell phone resting on the center console without any wires or plugs or etc. littering the cabin and having a giant dongle invade your gear shift area. Think you don't need it? well, try driving down to Philly in the morning, then up the turnpike to Newark for an afternoon meeting, then going to Manhattan at night for dinner, all while using bluetooth on your blackberry while receiving emails without charging your phone once. And, even if you don't do that, or anything like it, why would merc put such a nice and seemless bluetooth system into the car with voice recognition and hands free, etc., just to require you to plug in your phone's power adapter in a manner used 10 years ago? Again, nitpicking, but why does a company which is trying to provide a nice interior plan so poorly? Sure, its just wires, but dammit if my buddy in his civic has a nicer phone set-up than this so-called uber car.

Okay, that's my rant for now, more to follow later I'm sure. And, to make clear, I still like the car, but man if the bloom didn't come of the rose pretty darn quickly when I went to move my change from my old car and was dumbfounded over something so small and already so well integrated everywhere else as a crummy, freakin' change bin. I'm wondering if MB doesn't take me for a fool!

I use the rubber storage under the armrest for loose change.

As far as the stalk, I would think because in most staes the correct hand placement is on the wheel is 9-o-clock and 3-o-clock. (based on drivers manual) Could be why it is located where it is.
It also took me some time to get use to the stalk but now like where it is located.

As far as charger. I use the one in the rear ashtray. It is actualy not a cig lighter buy a 12v power supply (higher wattage) Same as the one in the glove box

peabers 11-19-2007 10:56 PM

+1 on the cruise control stalk. I accidentally set my cruise on the first week coming up to a STOP sign. I freaked out (think Audi's unintention acceleration).

I miss the storage bins in the center stack of my TL. I have nowhere to park my cell phone and wallet when I drive. Also, no sunglass holder. Generally speaking, it's a storage issue in my car.

I also wish that there was more customization available on the Navi system. IMHO, Acura's system is more flexible and allows me to program things like prompt frequency, volume, amount of POIs shown, etc.. Also, I lose the street names if I zoom out.

RLE 11-19-2007 11:47 PM

Slots?

<<That little slot in the console was another big mystery. Client care guy couldn't even figure it out when he was showing the car. You can pull it out with the tab, but it really doesn't fit anything logical.>>

So my new cellphone that drops right in there is illogical?

And what's wrong with using the 12V outlet in the glovebox for charger power?

RLE 11-19-2007 11:52 PM

Cruise & storage

<<I accidentally set my cruise on the first week coming up to a STOP sign. I freaked out>>

Doesn't make a lot of sense since the brake light switch shuts the cruise off.

<<I miss the storage bins in the center stack of my TL. I have nowhere to park my cell phone and wallet when I drive. Also, no sunglass holder. Generally speaking, it's a storage issue in my car.>>

Yes, in-cabin storage is pitiful. The two level storage compartment in the 203 worked very well in comparison the the deep hole we now have to live with. The glove compartment holds very little because of the way the door rises and the shelf in there is just in the way and cannot be removed.

peabers 11-20-2007 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 2512542)
<<I accidentally set my cruise on the first week coming up to a STOP sign. I freaked out>>

Doesn't make a lot of sense since the brake light switch shuts the cruise off.

When I took my foot off the accelerator to coast, the car was not slowing down... that's when I realized someone was not right, checked my instrument panel and hit the brakes. Pity that there's no OFF button to avoid future mistakes (I probably use the cruise control on two trips a year... yep, I'm a control freak).

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 2512542)
The glove compartment holds very little because of the way the door rises and the shelf in there is just in the way and cannot be removed.

I found that even the owner's manual was a tight fit in the upper shelf of the glove. As for the cup in the armrest, it's too deep for my Speedpass and too shallow for my sunglasses. And there's no way a Blackberry will ever fit in that. Also, can't leave that door open whilst driving.

Where did all the storage space go?

The A4 had a drawer under the passenger seat... that was a nice bonus.

RLE 11-20-2007 12:31 AM

Storage/ What storage?

<<When I took my foot off the accelerator to coast, the car was not slowing down... that's when I realized someone was not right, checked my instrument panel and hit the brakes. Pity that there's no OFF button to avoid future mistakes (I probably use the cruise control on two trips a year... yep, I'm a control freak).I found that even the owner's manual was a tight fit in the upper shelf of the glove. As for the cup in the armrest, it's too deep for my Speedpass and too shallow for my sunglasses. And there's no way a Blackberry will ever fit in that. Also, can't leave that door open whilst driving.>

Well, when cruise is engaged, you do have that ring of white dots around the speedo above the selected speed which is hard to miss. And there is an OFF function just by pushing the CC handle forward. But then, you knew that.

As to poor storage, I really miss the little cubbyholes on each side of the trunk in my 203 where I kept little stuff. Gone. And, my quest to locate a storage drawer (just like my 203) for the trunk has led nowhere. That's where I kept my manual, flashlights, camera, registration papers and so on.

This car, she ain't perfect.

emps 11-20-2007 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 2512534)
<<That little slot in the console was another big mystery. Client care guy couldn't even figure it out when he was showing the car. You can pull it out with the tab, but it really doesn't fit anything logical.>>

So my new cellphone that drops right in there is illogical?

And what's wrong with using the 12V outlet in the glovebox for charger power?

yeah mine drops in there too, but i have to remove the whole thing and 'pour' my phone out.

lx Raven xl 11-20-2007 02:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have seen the storage space in US model. This is very strange. In europe I get plenty of storage space. There is only on cup holder at front which is a round at one end and squre at the back.

I drew a small diagram of how it looks like. I will check if I have a picture for it as well.

lx Raven xl 11-20-2007 02:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There you go. And you will get use to the cruise control and indicator. its just for a few days you will find it troublesome.

tanktube67 11-20-2007 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by 430752 (Post 2511898)

Its just takes time to get used to it, I use my ashtray for coins, but I agree with you.

430752 11-20-2007 09:34 AM

cigarettes

The rubber pocket in the center console, beneath the flap, you know the narrow, rubber, deep hole that everyone wonders about and some use for smaller cell phones, appears to accept a pack of cigarettes pretty well, like it was designed for it. Maybe not 100's, but regulars. And since the car comes with a real ashtray(huh?), I'm guessing it is a smoker friendly car. I guess the europeans can't quit the habit!

Stick Girl 11-20-2007 10:08 AM

What exactly is the netted pocket on the passenger side for? Is that for maps? (can't imagine anything else would fit there.

Also, is there a non-smokers conversion for the ashtray? I had that in my BMW and it was handy for change, etc.

My cellphone doesn't fit in the little pocket under the armrest, so I use that for my badge and parking pass, and they fit perfectly.

peabers 11-20-2007 10:32 AM

On one hand, I feel a little nuts to be complaining about storage in the car... but on the other hand, I am happy knowing that I am not the only one who has the problem. :)

As for cruise control... I did not noitce the white lights on the speedo. That sounds really cool. Maybe this weekend when there's less traffic I will go on the highway and test it out again. At that time, I was too busy in panic mode (coming up to a STOP sign in a school zone) to notice it. It sounds stupid to panic, but I felt like the car was possessed. :p:

Krytech 11-20-2007 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by lx Raven xl (Post 2512735)
There you go. And you will get use to the cruise control and indicator. its just for a few days you will find it troublesome.

Thanks for the pic. I think yours looks more like our E Class over here.

peabers 11-20-2007 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by lx Raven xl (Post 2512735)
And you will get use to the cruise control and indicator. its just for a few days you will find it troublesome.

Agreed! Gotten over it already. Just gotta stop holding the steering wheel at the 10-2 positions. :D

chilledbenz 11-22-2007 12:17 AM

My two cents for what its worth.

The cruise/turn signal confusion. Hmm seems to me its been in the same spot as long as I can remember. I will say that at first its odd if your coming from a BMW, maybe its just me, but all the Benz's I've been in it appeared to be in the same position.

The power outlet for charing phones: There is a power outlet in the console in front of the shifter, I'm guessing unless you have a really really slim phone its not going to fit in there closed. There is an outlet in the rear console as well, all though not exactly the place you want a phone with kids in the back. The best bet is to use the outlet in the glove box. With bluetooth the need to access the phone manually is gone and it fits in there with all the cords and what not.:y