MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Rear view mirrors to big? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/219493-rear-view-mirrors-big.html)

tanktube67 11-21-2007 08:51 PM

Rear view mirrors to big?

I don’t know about you, but I think the rear view mirrors are too big it kind of blinds me, on tight turn’s special the left side :confused:

RLE 11-21-2007 10:28 PM

Mirrors

[<<]I don’t know about you, but I think the rear view mirrors are too big...>>

The mirror size is mandated by new EU regulations.

lx Raven xl 11-22-2007 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by tanktube67 (Post 2515912)
I don’t know about you, but I think the rear view mirrors are too big it kind of blinds me, on tight turn’s special the left side :confused:

no problems here , but i guess you drove a car with much shorter mirrors. you will get use to it.

Jorg 11-22-2007 09:40 AM

Love the over sized mirrors. I wish they were the same size on the S- and E-Class sedans.

Jorg

chilledbenz 11-22-2007 03:05 PM

I thought for sure they would use the new "corporate mirrors" that first showed up on the S class and now have found their way on the CL, CLS, and E classes. The new BMW M3 is using a larger mirror than the regular 3 series, but they have found a way to hide the fact that its larger by using design cues.

While on the subject of the C's Dumbo ears, whats with them not being fully painted? It's alright if you have a dark colored car, but if you have white or silver it stands out like..um..like cheap black plastic on a Mercedes Benz.

JimPap 11-22-2007 03:27 PM

While we're complaining about the side mirrors(I like their size), does anyone think the interior rear view mirror is a tad too close? I'm not but 5'6" so I'm probably sitting closer to dash than most of you.

Lakerz4sho 11-22-2007 07:23 PM

i kinda like it.. gives u more real estate when checking before lane changes, etc.

since they are taller (not necessarily wider), it allows you to see further back in the lanes next to u.

peabers 11-22-2007 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lakerz4sho (Post 2516919)
i kinda like it.. gives u more real estate when checking before lane changes, etc.

since they are taller (not necessarily wider), it allows you to see further back in the lanes next to u.

I love the large rear-view mirrors. Don't think they are too big for the car.

But the rear-views on the Lexus IS series are even bigger. :naughty:

aansonsit 11-22-2007 10:49 PM

large rear-view mirrors SAFE SAFE SAFE

Andr3an 11-22-2007 11:51 PM

The rear view mirrors look great. What's with the turn signal lens? It's used to be much nicer.. The plain long model..

peabers 11-23-2007 02:59 PM

So here's my problem this morning... it was snowing and pouring ice pellets all Thursday (so I didn't drive). This morning when I opened up the car (the door was frozen shut, first of all), the mirrors refused to flip open. The motor is WEAK, and there was lots of ice. I already scraped part of the ice off but there are small gaps and hard to get into.... took me 10 minutes of scraping, knocking, tapping to get the ice loose and for the mirrors to operate.

First thing I did get I finally got driving? Turn off the auto-fold feature.

Stupid Canadian winters! I need a garage.

Jorg 11-23-2007 03:39 PM

I turned the auto fold feature off too. What can happen is when you go to the theater and the mirrors fold in, then freeze, when you return they will not fold back again. I have no choice, when it gets very cold I turn the feature off.

omgitselaine 11-23-2007 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jorg (Post 2517782)
I turned the auto fold feature off too. What can happen is when you go to the theater and the mirrors fold in, then freeze, when you return they will not fold back again. I have no choice, when it gets very cold I turn the feature off.

wow i never thought of the darn things freezing but after reading the last 2 posts about these things getting stuck :eek: yiikesss ill be sure to turn off the auto folding feature as well and if theres any chance of them freezing will certainly leave them open. good head's up :y ty

chilledbenz 11-23-2007 03:43 PM

Thats good advice. Most people over look that unless you have had a car in the past with pop up head lights. Although they made the front of the car look good when they were down, if you got any ice at all, they wouldn't pop up, and in some cases people would burn up the motors in them trying to get them to pop up. Might be the same way with the mirrors, if they are froze don't keep hitting the button, could burn up the motors, just turn them off for winter use.

AsianML 11-23-2007 03:46 PM

^^^Mirrors, headlights, wipers (not necessarily a problem with freezing on the W204 with the aero blades), etc.

tanktube67 11-23-2007 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by JimPap (Post 2516747)
While we're complaining about the side mirrors(I like their size), does anyone think the interior rear view mirror is a tad too close? I'm not but 5'6" so I'm probably sitting closer to dash than most of you.

Thats was the first think I notice when I test drove the C

Dema 11-23-2007 10:04 PM

Why EU regulations are only for Benz? My BMW has very small mirrors and I'm happy that Benz got real ones.

AsianML 11-23-2007 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dema (Post 2518175)
Why EU regulations are only for Benz? My BMW has very small mirrors and I'm happy that Benz got real ones.

I think these new EU regulations started pretty recently. Maybe your Z4 was grandfathered because it was designed before the regulation was written...?

spotless 11-23-2007 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by peabers (Post 2517743)
So here's my problem this morning... it was snowing and pouring ice pellets all Thursday (so I didn't drive). This morning when I opened up the car (the door was frozen shut, first of all), the mirrors refused to flip open. The motor is WEAK, and there was lots of ice. I already scraped part of the ice off but there are small gaps and hard to get into.... took me 10 minutes of scraping, knocking, tapping to get the ice loose and for the mirrors to operate.

First thing I did get I finally got driving? Turn off the auto-fold feature.

Stupid Canadian winters! I need a garage.

Two words. Hot Water.

Works like a charm.

chilledbenz 11-23-2007 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dema (Post 2518175)

I hadn't heard of this EU regulations thing either, seems like its a European thing though, as the new American car models all seem to have a "normal" sized mirrors. Here's a pic of the M3 mirrors for reference, don't shoot me for posting a BMW pic.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5...wmirrorna1.jpg

peabers 11-24-2007 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by spotless (Post 2518245)
Two words. Hot Water.

Works like a charm.

Which then leaves a nice big patch of ice on my driveway? Yikes. :eek:

I've left the wipers up before an icestorm before... makes me look like a geek but at least then I don't have to literally rip them off the windshield later on. Was going to do it on the W204 on Wednesday night but worried that it would be an invite for people to steal them (at $20 apiece).

Car's still mostly frozen but was able to tap off most of the ice on the roof and the hood last night.

AsianML 11-24-2007 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by peabers (Post 2518700)
Which then leaves a nice big patch of ice on my driveway? Yikes. :eek:

I've left the wipers up before an icestorm before... makes me look like a geek but at least then I don't have to literally rip them off the windshield later on. Was going to do it on the W204 on Wednesday night but worried that it would be an invite for people to steal them (at $20 apiece).

Car's still mostly frozen but was able to tap off most of the ice on the roof and the hood last night.

Is it possible to cut a long strip of cardboard (or something similar) and let the wipers sit on that so it doesn't stick to the windshield?

peabers 11-24-2007 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by AsianML (Post 2518722)
Is it possible to cut a long strip of cardboard (or something similar) and let the wipers sit on that so it doesn't stick to the windshield?

I'm considering a full cover for the car...

G.Man 11-24-2007 06:37 PM

I’m a big fan of the mirrors, especially with automatic anti-dazzle feature, to me it’s all about safety.

peabers 11-24-2007 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by G.Man (Post 2519167)
I’m a big fan of the mirrors, especially with automatic anti-dazzle feature, to me it’s all about safety.

Is that the same as the heated mirrors?
And is it the right hand mirror that is tinted in Oz? :naughty:

G.Man 11-25-2007 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by peabers (Post 2519510)
Is that the same as the heated mirrors?
And is it the right hand mirror that is tinted in Oz? :naughty:

No they are no the same as heated mirrors, the rear-view and the drivers mirror (in Oz the RH mirror) darken a blue tint when a headlight strikes the sensor in the rear-view mirror, when there is no headlight striking the sensor they go back to normal, very cool indeed.

peabers 11-25-2007 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by G.Man (Post 2519882)
No they are no the same as heated mirrors, the rear-view and the drivers mirror (in Oz the RH mirror) darken a blue tint when a headlight strikes the sensor in the rear-view mirror, when there is no headlight striking the sensor they go back to normal, very cool indeed.

Yep... we've got there here. Auto-dimming rear-view mirror. And also a heated function that (I think) is connected with the switch for the rear-window. Works wonders during the snow and rain.