MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   suspension advice please (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/219671-suspension-advice-please.html)

milsons200 11-23-2007 06:16 AM

suspension advice please

was wondering if anyone have lower their C class with any after market kits ?

here are my options:

1. lower the car via sports spring only(since the original shock is adptive shock already); i.e. H&R or Ebach

2. BILSTEIN - B16 PSS10

3. Should the anti-roll bar also be upgraded during the suspension upgrade ?

4. Any side effect if I just upgrade the spring to work with 19" wheel ?

Honestly, I kind of like the handling of the new W204, but prefer to lower the car for another 30mm at least with 19" wheel to make it looks really nice :P

oblu 11-23-2007 12:10 PM

Won't be lowering the C, but I've messed with suspension on tons of other cars.

Never do just springs. It's fine at first until you realize the damp rates of the struts don't match up quite right with the spring rates of the new lower springs and you get weird things happening at higher speeds. Alywas get a matched setup.

If you've got the money, go for coilovers. Not so much for the adjustability, it is nice to set the fender gap exactly where you want it, but after that you won't touch it. The main benefit is getting them corner balanced ... if you're at all in tune with the handling of the car, you'll notice the difference right away.

Sway bars don't have to be done, but if you really want to tune the handling of the car, adjustable bars are fun. But one thing to keep in mind, just because the suspension is stiffer doesn't mean you're actually able to corner faster.

If you're just going to for looks, then don't bother with them. Get a nice pair of coilovers (KW's usually get talked about as being the softest for everyday driving but I don't know if they've got a C application) set the gap just where you want it and be done.

And for gawds sake, don't saddle the car with a boat anchor set of wheels. Spend the money to get a light set of wheels.

milsons200 11-23-2007 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by oblu (Post 2517584)
Won't be lowering the C, but I've messed with suspension on tons of other cars.

Never do just springs. It's fine at first until you realize the damp rates of the struts don't match up quite right with the spring rates of the new lower springs and you get weird things happening at higher speeds. Alywas get a matched setup.

If you've got the money, go for coilovers. Not so much for the adjustability, it is nice to set the fender gap exactly where you want it, but after that you won't touch it. The main benefit is getting them corner balanced ... if you're at all in tune with the handling of the car, you'll notice the difference right away.

Sway bars don't have to be done, but if you really want to tune the handling of the car, adjustable bars are fun. But one thing to keep in mind, just because the suspension is stiffer doesn't mean you're actually able to corner faster.

If you're just going to for looks, then don't bother with them. Get a nice pair of coilovers (KW's usually get talked about as being the softest for everyday driving but I don't know if they've got a C application) set the gap just where you want it and be done.

And for gawds sake, don't saddle the car with a boat anchor set of wheels. Spend the money to get a light set of wheels.

I totally agree with you, I have tried the H&R's cup kit and Full Eibach's Full Set (including the sway bar) on W203 in the past and learn my lesson.

Honestly, the factory suspension of the new W204 is pretty good. I bet Mercedes spent more time testing the suspension than the after market supplier to turn the suspension with the best balance between comfort and sport. Unfortunately you have to buy the AMG package with the new Advance Agility Package(touch of sport bottom) in Australia.

I guess I will wait for another year or so till the market release more suspension kits for the new W204 and at the meantime get myself familiar with the factory suspension. And when i do get the coilover(possible PSS9/10) with light forged wheel then I can tell the different.

One thing I notice from the past, For a matched setup, everything have to be matched i.e. wheel, coilover and sway bar :p: