MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Navigation Announcements Do Not Lower The Stereo's Volume (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/219963-navigation-announcements-do-not-lower-stereos-volume.html)

Kieffer 11-25-2007 07:29 PM

Navigation Announcements Do Not Lower The Stereo's Volume

I'm wondering if my COMMAND system has an issue. When I'm playing an audio source, the navigation instructions just talk right over the music - the music does not fade out or diminish its volume in any way. They just fight each other. I have to take the car in tomorrow because the tele-aid apparently did not get programmed with the correct dialing numbers, etc., so if i have a problem, I might as well get it corrected while it's there.

I read a review on this forum that commented about how well the nav volume integrated with the audio, which led me to believe I have a problem. Does anyone else have this issue?

Thank you for any advice.

tanktube67 11-25-2007 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kieffer (Post 2520681)
I'm wondering if my COMMAND system has an issue. When I'm playing an audio source, the navigation instructions just talk right over the music - the music does not fade out or diminish its volume in any way. They just fight each other. I have to take the car in tomorrow because the tele-aid apparently did not get programmed with the correct dialing numbers, etc., so if i have a problem, I might as well get it corrected while it's there.

I read a review on this forum that commented about how well the nav volume integrated with the audio, which led me to believe I have a problem. Does anyone else have this issue?

Thank you for any advice.

me too :confused:

Kieffer 11-25-2007 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by tanktube67 (Post 2520698)
me too :confused:

That gripes me. Even the antiquated nav system in our Jeep mutes the music so that you can hear the direction announcements. :mad:

Krytech 11-25-2007 08:49 PM

:slap:

That would be buggin! I don't want to say for sure, but I thought my salesperson told me it lowered the volume of the stereo accordingly... Definitely worth mentioning though!

ryanrohaley 11-25-2007 09:05 PM

The music cuts out when a call comes in over the MM, but nav instructions just talk right over the radio/sat. Yeah...it kinda sucks. I just try to remember not to crank the stereo when I have to rely on the nav.

Kieffer 11-25-2007 10:21 PM

Wow - what an oversight. Considering that MB's other systems do this, I hope there will be some kind of software update later on that takes care of the problem. I'm going to mention it when I take the car in tomorrow, just to see what they say. Thanks for the feedback.

Stiggs 11-25-2007 11:12 PM

Well isn't this a bummer. Who's the retard at MB that forgot this feature?:slap:

lx Raven xl 11-26-2007 02:38 AM

imagine driving in amsterdam with every 10 meters you have to make a turn. Nav sound cutting in every few secs. Example:

Boom Boom --after 50 meters turn right -- BOOM BOOM Bo--- @ the round about make a second exit---BOOM BOOM BOOM --- and so on..

This feaure if added would be so annoying. Yah ofcourse , having the option to turn it on /off would satisfy everyone.

aansonsit 11-26-2007 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by lx Raven xl (Post 2521232)
imagine driving in amsterdam with every 10 meters you have to make a turn. Nav sound cutting in every few secs. Example:

Boom Boom --after 50 meters turn right -- BOOM BOOM Bo--- @ the round about make a second exit---BOOM BOOM BOOM --- and so on..

This feaure if added would be so annoying. Yah ofcourse , having the option to turn it on /off would satisfy everyone.

Agree!! that's i want say, fade out a music, no mood

MBfan21 11-26-2007 10:35 AM

Oh that sucks... so if you are blasting your music, the navigation commands will be blasted too? I would rather the music still play while hearing the voice commands.

I know on the lexus GPS, the voice commands talk over the music. But it doesn't get louder or anything when you turn the volume up on the radio.

430752 11-26-2007 10:57 AM

another item mb goofed on. Sure, some don't want music cutting out for a nav instruction, but most do and for most its a good feature. But, the easiest way, and not too difficult to figure out or to implement, is to let the user decide. I mean we have this whole command thing with a knob and well developed menu system, what gives?:confused:

Kieffer 11-26-2007 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by MBfan21 (Post 2521467)
Oh that sucks... so if you are blasting your music, the navigation commands will be blasted too? I would rather the music still play while hearing the voice commands.

Sort of - If you are blasting your music, the nav commands will come on at their own, independently set volume. That is how I noticed this. I had ripped almost my entire music collection to a DVD and was enjoying the incredible stereo. After a while, I realized that I was not hearing any navigation instructions. They were actually playing, but because the music volume wasn't being reduced (as it is in every MB system I have ever used), you could not hear the instructions over the music.

Yes, as some people have noted, I could just crank up the volume on the navigation instructions which would do nothing but create two, loud, conflicting sound sources. You would not be able to understand either source. Then when I would eventually turn down the stereo volume, the over-enunciating navigation lady would be screaming at me!

I asked my service advisor about it this morning when I took it in to get the tele-aid fixed / programmed properly. He said it will probably be fixed next year, but wasn't sure if that fix would be retroactive.

peabers 11-26-2007 12:21 PM

The navigation volume is too loud IMHO. And so is the phone ring... freaks the heck out of me. :eek:

Why can't there be a volume adjustment on the announcements? Seems like a simple menu item on COMAND. One of the features I miss from the Acura Navi system. I am disappointed about the lack of customization on the MB system.

So... I set the destination, hit the voice control button, and say "Guidance Instructions Off". Then I set the speedometer display to Navi. Peace and quiet. :)

mtnbenzer 11-26-2007 12:32 PM

NAV/audio volume

On my new 08 E-550 the Command Operator's Manual, on p. 110 has a paragraph on adjusting the "fade-out stating that, "Automatically generated navigation announcements are superimposed over any active audio source. The volume difference is adjustable". It goes on to show the NAV screen options ranging from "total fade out" to "no fade out". I've not had a chance to play with this yet and I know my car is not the same as being discussed on this post but perhaps it will help.

QQQ 11-26-2007 01:56 PM

It is even dumber when higher models have this feature but lower models don't.

mtnbenzer 11-26-2007 02:04 PM

NAV/audio volume

Well if that is the case here I would totally agree. I just thought maybe someone was overlooking a page in the manual that explained it but that doesn't sound like the case. I've noticed a few differences in things between the E and S class. The NAV and related options should be the same across all the models. Regardless of the car model a NAV should be the same across all of them - or else give the buyer a choice and sell for less.

lx Raven xl 11-27-2007 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by MBfan21 (Post 2521467)

I know on the lexus GPS, the voice commands talk over the music. But it doesn't get louder or anything when you turn the volume up on the radio.

No You have 2 sound levels , One for music one for Navigation Voice. You can adjust the music to blast and Navi to be at low level but then you wont be able to hear the Navi voice. I just use the arrows display on my speedometer or sometimes MM screen as well while my music is still at high volume without Navi voice causing any problems as its set to low.

peabers 11-27-2007 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by lx Raven xl (Post 2523126)
No You have 2 sound levels , One for music one for Navigation Voice. You can adjust the music to blast and Navi to be at low level but then you wont be able to hear the Navi voice. I just use the arrows display on my speedometer or sometimes MM screen as well while my music is still at high volume without Navi voice causing any problems as its set to low.

I can't find an adjustment for the Navi voice level...... am I missing something on the menu??? :nix:

MBfan21 11-27-2007 11:29 PM

Maybe the European models have 2 sound levels? The European and Canadian models have all the good stuff. The US kind of gets jipped.

lx Raven xl 11-28-2007 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by peabers (Post 2524865)
I can't find an adjustment for the Navi voice level...... am I missing something on the menu??? :nix:

When you hear the navi instructions , while the message is being read example: "after 200 meters trun right" pess the volume down button on your steering wheel. This will lower the volume of the navi instructions only. Not music. To increase it use the volume up button on your steering.

Note: Navigation must be annoucing a message on your route guidence before you can lower or increase the volume.

inFiniTE LooP 11-28-2007 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by lx Raven xl (Post 2525206)
When you hear the navi instructions , while the message is being read example: "after 200 meters trun right" pess the volume down button on your steering wheel. This will lower the volume of the navi instructions only. Not music. To increase it use the volume up button on your steering.

Note: Navigation must be annoucing a message on your route guidence before you can lower or increase the volume.

haha, i was wondering about that too, as that's how it was done on the old COMAND. but since we dont get the car til Friday i was afraid to post anything without verifying first. however if it does work the same, you should also be able to use the volume knob on the center stack and not just the steering wheel volume control.

peabers 11-28-2007 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by lx Raven xl (Post 2525206)
...Note: Navigation must be annoucing a message on your route guidence before you can lower or increase the volume.

Thanks Raven... I will definitely give it a try tonight. :)

But why is there not a customization menu for all this stuff... that's the $2400 question.

peabers 11-29-2007 10:08 AM

UPDATE -- hitting the volume down button while the navi announcement happens will lower the volume. :)

Thanks RAVEN.

MBTex 11-29-2007 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by peabers (Post 2525729)
But why is there not a customization menu for all this stuff... that's the $2400 question.

+1....I love this car, but there are a few "annoyances" like this that have popped up. Kinks in the new system I guess.

marakbai 11-29-2007 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by peabers (Post 2527389)
But why is there not a customization menu for all this stuff... that's the $2400 question..

just silliness indeed at that cost!

I suppose as long as all of this can be solved with a software update ...