MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   My windshield cracked :( ideas on replacement? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/219997-my-windshield-cracked-ideas-replacement.html)

err 11-25-2007 11:51 PM

My windshield cracked :( ideas on replacement?

All,

Unfortunately my C350 windshield is cracked due to a large stone flying towards in on Interstate 5 a few days ago.

It started with a small rock chip, but quickly spread out to 6+ inch in within 30 minutes :(

Needless to say, I am bumped.

Does anyone have any idea how much would this cost to replace? Would you do it in the dealership? or your local glass shop?

RLE 11-25-2007 11:57 PM

Broken winshield, already/

<<Unfortunately my C350 windshield is cracked due to a large stone flying towards in on Interstate 5 a few days ago. It started with a small rock chip, but quickly spread out to 6+ inch in within 30 minutes :( Does anyone have any idea how much would this cost to replace? Would you do it in the dealership? or your local glass shop?>>

Surely you are insured for this? Ask your dealer who does their glass replacement work. Go there.

err 11-26-2007 12:15 AM

Yes I am insured. $500 deductible :(

I will call my dealer tommorrow. Need to schedule my 3000 miles service as well.

JimPap 11-26-2007 04:01 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

stephensong 11-26-2007 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by err (Post 2521104)
Yes I am insured. $500 deductible :(

I will call my dealer tommorrow. Need to schedule my 3000 miles service as well.

Are you sure? Most insurance policies have a glass program that this will fall under. Call your insurance company first.

MBfan21 11-26-2007 10:32 AM

My windshield cracked on my '03 C Class before. They had to replace the whole thing. I remember it costing about $760 .

peabers 11-26-2007 12:09 PM

Sorry to hear about the damange, ERR.
As the other members suggested, check with your insurer first.

AsianML 11-26-2007 04:22 PM

Some cars with rain sensing wipers have the sensors attached to the windshield. If that's the case with the C, make sure that's right. :y

430752 11-26-2007 04:32 PM

Yes, rain sensing

Not sure about all C's, or whether it requires a package (e.g., P1 or MMC), but my C's manual says it has rain sensing wipers, so assume yours does too. In which case you need a good replacement rather than any 'ole knockoff. Check with your dealer.

QQQ 11-26-2007 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by err (Post 2521067)
All,

Unfortunately my C350 windshield is cracked due to a large stone flying towards in on Interstate 5 a few days ago.

It started with a small rock chip, but quickly spread out to 6+ inch in within 30 minutes :(

Needless to say, I am bumped.

Does anyone have any idea how much would this cost to replace? Would you do it in the dealership? or your local glass shop?

I'd steer you to the stealership. Moo...

oblu 11-26-2007 06:37 PM

As luck would have it, I got a big monster impact crater in my windshield not more than an hour ago. Insurance covers a fill, but it's right in front of me, and from what I remember nothing in the driver's line of sight can be filled.

Luckily we've got $250 deductible for comprehensive ... not sure why the wife did it, but I'll be happy now.

Last time I had a rain sensor windshield replaced, the sensor was glued to the windshield and not formed as part of it so it was just a standard replacement. It was when they first came out though, and the glass dude didn't have a clue what it was.

err 11-26-2007 08:05 PM

oblu, I am not sure whats up with us here in Seattle. So many rock chips stuffs flying right and left... Especially with the booming amount of construction in our area :(

oh crap. :(

AsianML 11-26-2007 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by err (Post 2522381)
oblu, I am not sure whats up with us here in Seattle. So many rock chips stuffs flying right and left... Especially with the booming amount of construction in our area :(

oh crap. :(

Don't drive too close to trucks. I hate it when huge trucks have mud/debris flaps that are close to useless.

err 11-26-2007 08:15 PM

AsianML, you are right on the money. The stupid rock did indeed came from this large truck in front of me. What a luck!

Anyway, I called my local dealer and was quoted $386.10+tax for part.

The glass company referred by the dealer quoted $175 for install and $90 for the adhesive to put it on.

So it will be close to $700 damage. I guess I will have to call my insurance.

err 11-26-2007 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by MBfan21 (Post 2521463)
My windshield cracked on my '03 C Class before. They had to replace the whole thing. I remember it costing about $760 .

MBFan21, when you replaced your windshield, did it still came with the Mercedes windshield sticker such as this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...spagenameZWDVW

Thanks!

AMGfan 11-26-2007 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by err (Post 2522405)
AsianML, you are right on the money. The stupid rock did indeed came from this large truck in front of me. What a luck!

Anyway, I called my local dealer and was quoted $386.10+tax for part.

The glass company referred by the dealer quoted $175 for install and $90 for the adhesive to put it on.

So it will be close to $700 damage. I guess I will have to call my insurance.

I don't know about your policy, but I didn't pay anything for a replacement windshield on my old CLK430. I just called a glass company that my insurance company referred me to and that was that.

Good luck.

RLE 11-26-2007 09:28 PM

Deductibles

<<I don't know about your policy, but I didn't pay anything for a replacement windshield on my old CLK430. I just called a glass company that my insurance company referred me to and that was that.>>

That's because you have zero-deductible comprehensive coverage which is always available for an additional premium, sometimes very substantial.

MBfan21 11-26-2007 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by err (Post 2522408)
MBFan21, when you replaced your windshield, did it still came with the Mercedes windshield sticker such as this:

Thanks!

Yep pretty sure it did. I had it replaced through the Mercedes dealer.. they sent it to one of their glass places that does business for them. So the window was brand new and had that sticker and the little Mercedes benz writing and symbols in the glass.

Only thing is I think the rain sensitive wipers stopped working.. but I am not sure if it was because of the window replacement as I don't recall them ever working since I had the car. So whenever it rained, I had to manually turn the wipers on and adjust them accordingly.

And same thing happened to me.. a stone from a truck hit my glass. It was terrible. I did not go through my insurance company because I didn't want them to raise my rates.

peabers 11-26-2007 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by err (Post 2522408)

Thanks!

I wonder if anyone bought that sicker off eBay and put it on their Kia?! Or their Ssangyong Chairman... :crazy:

RLE 11-26-2007 09:41 PM

Windshield stickers

Those stickers are available at any dealer for prices ranging from free to two bucks.

RLE 11-26-2007 09:44 PM

Rain sensor

[<<Yep pretty sure it did. I had it replaced through the Mercedes dealer.. they sent it to one of their glass places that does business for them. So the window was brand new and had that sticker and the little Mercedes benz writing and symbols in the glass. Only thing is I think the rain sensitive wipers stopped working.. but I am not sure if it was because of the window replacement as I don't recall them ever working since I had the car. So whenever it rained, I had to manually turn the wipers on and adjust them accordingly.>>

The rain sensor is bonded to the inside of the glass, either OE or aftermarket. My last replacement windshield for my C320 did not come from a dealer and the rain sensor was present and functional.

I can't understand why you didn't go back and have the problem rectified.

JimPap 11-26-2007 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by MBfan21 (Post 2522555)
Yep pretty sure it did. I had it replaced through the Mercedes dealer.. they sent it to one of their glass places that does business for them. So the window was brand new and had that sticker and the little Mercedes benz writing and symbols in the glass.

Only thing is I think the rain sensitive wipers stopped working.. but I am not sure if it was because of the window replacement as I don't recall them ever working since I had the car. So whenever it rained, I had to manually turn the wipers on and adjust them accordingly.

And same thing happened to me.. a stone from a truck hit my glass. It was terrible. I did not go through my insurance company because I didn't want them to raise my rates.

Regarding the rain sensitive wipers, be sure that the wiper control is turned to the second position. The first position keeps it off regardless of rain.

peabers 11-26-2007 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by JimPap (Post 2522589)
Regarding the rain sensitive wipers, be sure that the wiper control is turned to the second position. The first position keeps it off regardless of rain.

:confused::confused::confused:

There are two levels of sensitivity for the rain sensors, leaving it in either of those positions will allow for the sensors to activate the wipers. Then there's the full off (or "0") position where the the sensors are deactivated and wipers stay off. ;)

MondayQB 11-26-2007 11:29 PM

Don't take too cheap professional

My previous car, Passat 2.0T ('06), was smashed by a stone on the highway and got a crack on the windshield, which requests replacement.

I called my insurance company (Travellers) and they told me I should pay the deductible ($500) for it but they also advised me that I could get a new one less than $500 and gave me some contacts of glass windshield dealerships.

I chose the dealer who offered the cheapest quote. I chose not OEM, but after-market one. Windshield glass was great but installation was terrible. The professional ran over my two wipers when he moved my car into the garage due to rain (he placed wipers right under the two front wheels stupidly). Moreover, he ripped off some paint while removing the cracked windshield so I could see primer of my car for the first time. No sorry and no appology.

The bottomline is that you should be careful to choose glass workshop. Sometimes, cheap price has some reasons. First, go to dealership and use OEM part as far as your dealership takes good care of windshield job. You should go to the shop who has experience in MB.

P.S. I paid $300 for windshield replacement (no rainsensor). But safelite's quote was $470 for OEM part.

Moviela 11-27-2007 03:05 AM

There are counterfeit glass makers out there, and they have all the same marks on the glass as a factory replacement. All spare genuine windshields have a hologram sticker on them. Look for it on the drivers side near the bottom. I had mine done twice this year, at about 560 at the dealer's body shop. The I5 is the hard rock freeway in LA too. Mine had the white Mercedes sticker on the passenger side.