MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Bahahaha, got my stupid self caught out in the snow. (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/220862-bahahaha-got-my-stupid-self-caught-out-snow.html)

oblu 12-02-2007 05:28 AM

Bahahaha, got my stupid self caught out in the snow.

Looked outside, snow was only sticking to the grass and driveways but nothing on the roads ... no problem I thought to myself, plenty of time to head out to the video store and grab some lunch ... if it even sticks at all. By the time I got back to my neighborhood there was 2" on street.

300 sport, with the 18" amg wheel option ... contisport3s. Needless to say I drove home through my neighborhood at a 45 degree angle looking out my passenger window. The kids thought it was pretty funny watching me "drift" down the road in straight line.

I wonder how much brake pad ESP used up today.

Oddly enough, the tires had plenty of stopping power even in 2" of snow. And getting moving was fine, but no matter how little throttle was applied the car would not move in a straight line.

Worst of all, I could've just grabbed the keys to my wive's Q7 instead. :slap:

Let the, 'that's so dangerous' flames begin.

peabers 12-02-2007 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by oblu (Post 2531883)

Loved the story... Reminds me of the days with my IS300. I used to have to back up and take a run up the driveway and see if I got far up enough to clear the sidewalk. :rolf:

We got 4" of snow overnight (massive drifts so some areas up to my knees)... I am looking forward to going out with my Michelin MXV4's and see. :)

cgarcia0638 12-02-2007 10:02 AM

Kind of wish you had the 4matic huh? Just kidding. In the future though, try letting as much air out of your tires as possible, it gives you a greater area for the car to grip the road in snowy/icy conditions.

PoaMike 12-02-2007 10:10 AM

Thank God I never see snow :); Orlando, where torists think your weird for wearing a sweater when its 71degrees lol.

cgarcia0638 12-02-2007 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by poamike (Post 2531980)
Thank God I never see snow :); Orlando, where torists think your weird for wearing a sweater when its 71degrees lol.

Say no more man. Its the same down here in Miami. Look me up if your ever down here.

PoaMike 12-02-2007 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by cgarcia0638 (Post 2531983)
Say no more man. Its the same down here in Miami. Look me up if your ever down here.

I go down to Mia every now and then for some shopping so its a def. maybe :)

earlybird 12-02-2007 11:14 AM

I drove my car this morning after a major snow storm and I had no problems with the conditions. My baby was wearing Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 winter tires. The ESP light flashed only a couple of times, and I was impressed by the performance on the car on the snow-covered roads.

The moral of the story is that if you live in an area that gets snow, you should put winter tires on your vehicle.

pcb 12-02-2007 11:40 AM

earlybrd,

did you get the blizzack LM 25's in 18"?
i am looking at the same tire so liked reading your thoughts on them.

peabers 12-02-2007 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by pcb (Post 2532062)
earlybrd,

+1 :y

And :smash: if you got 18" snow tyres.

earlybird 12-02-2007 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by pcb (Post 2532062)
earlybrd,

I purchased the 225/45R17 Blizzak LM-25 tires. I have been happily using Blizzaks for many years on various cars.

The tires are excellent at handling snowy and icy conditions, and they do their job quietly. I also ordered alloy rims from Tire Rack, so the tires were already mounted on the rims when they arrived. The wheels were very well balanced ......no steering wheel vibrations.

e1000 12-02-2007 01:07 PM

i first bought my car in Jan of 2006 in Chicago. Didn't buy snow tires right away gambling that I could get through the tail end of winter without getting stuck. Well, first big snow storm and it was too tempting to try and limp home (about a 5mi drive). Ventured out of the parking structure, through a parking lot and then made a U turn back to the parking structure. Car was just unamanageable.

Shake 12-02-2007 01:26 PM

My explorer 4x4 was having a hard time in the snow yesterday. I don't think my C would even make it up the driveway with it's bald rear tires.

stephensong 12-02-2007 02:16 PM

That is why the 17" wheels are a safe bet in our area.

Chi-Benz 12-02-2007 02:52 PM

Without snow tires, the C-Class is a deathtrap in snow. The wide rear tires do not help either. I would never get the new C without 4-matic, especially here in Chicago.

Krytech 12-02-2007 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by stephensong (Post 2532248)
That is why the 17" wheels are a safe bet in our area.

Amen. And in the summer all the potholes here make 18" expensive options.

I took a gamble and got a C350, I would of opted for 4 matic if it was avail on for us here. Instead I went with the stock 17" rims and am having the dealer install a set of snow tires for me. Wish me luck! :D

phs 12-02-2007 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by earlybird (Post 2532141)
I purchased the 225/45R17 Blizzak LM-25 tires. I have been happily using Blizzaks for many years on various cars.

The tires are excellent at handling snowy and icy conditions, and they do their job quietly. I also ordered alloy rims from Tire Rack, so the tires were already mounted on the rims when they arrived. The wheels were very well balanced ......no steering wheel vibrations.

I am taking delivery of my C350 4Matic in Feb/Mar 08 here in Toronto (Markham MB). The sales would swap a set of 18" AMG rims/tires from another C350 RWD order for my stock 17" and I would be paying the $1500 difference. I will be getting a set of four 17" rims with winters either from the dealer or from elsewhere(Tirerack?). What is your experience with Tirerack? Did you pay a hefty "brokerage fee" to the courier for the set of tires? Mind if I ask which set of rims did you ordered? Would like to hear your opinion. Thank you.

earlybird 12-02-2007 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by phs (Post 2532473)
I am taking delivery of my C350 4Matic in Feb/Mar 08 here in Toronto (Markham MB). The sales would swap a set of 18" AMG rims/tires from another C350 RWD order for my stock 17" and I would be paying the $1500 difference. I will be getting a set of four 17" rims with winters either from the dealer or from elsewhere(Tirerack?). What is your experience with Tirerack? Did you pay a hefty "brokerage fee" to the courier for the set of tires? Mind if I ask which set of rims did you ordered? Would like to hear your opinion. Thank you.

I had a very postive experience with Tire Rack. The tires were on my doorstep within a few days of placing my order. Duty amounted to $74, brokerage fees $30, and freight charges were $187.

The quote from the MB dealer for a winter tire package was twice the amount that I paid Tire Rack. Btw, I bought the Rial Como 17" rims.

phs 12-02-2007 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by earlybird (Post 2532634)
I had a very postive experience with Tire Rack. The tires were on my doorstep within a few days of placing my order. Duty amounted to $74, brokerage fees $30, and freight charges were $187.

The quote from the MB dealer for a winter tire package was twice the amount that I paid Tire Rack. Btw, I bought the Rial Como 17" rims.

Thank you very much for your info. Appreciate!

phs 12-02-2007 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by earlybird (Post 2532634)

I just went to the Tirerack site and noticed that they were asking whether I want tire pressure monitor sensors to be installed ($298). If I am not mistakened, the Canadian W204 do not have active tire pressure sensors, right? So we do not have to order the extra 4 sensors they were suggesting, right? :confused:

earlybird 12-02-2007 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by phs (Post 2532675)
I just went to the Tirerack site and noticed that they were asking whether I want tire pressure monitor sensors to be installed ($298). If I am not mistakened, the Canadian W204 do not have active tire pressure sensors, right? So we do not have to order the extra 4 sensors they were suggesting, right? :confused:

You're right.....the Canadian cars do not have tire pressure monitoring sensors.

phs 12-02-2007 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by earlybird (Post 2532845)
You're right.....the Canadian cars do not have tire pressure monitoring sensors.

Thank you again!

angeloxnet 12-02-2007 10:13 PM

they ship the tire on the rim? wow tirerack sounds good!
did u pick it up or was it right to ur door?

earlybird 12-03-2007 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by angeloxnet (Post 2532887)
they ship the tire on the rim? wow tirerack sounds good!
did u pick it up or was it right to ur door?

The tires were on the rims and delivered to my doorstep by UPS within a fews days of placing the order.

slammer111 12-03-2007 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by oblu (Post 2531883)
Looked outside, snow was only sticking to the grass and driveways but nothing on the roads ... no problem I thought to myself, plenty of time to head out to the video store and grab some lunch ... if it even sticks at all. By the time I got back to my neighborhood there was 2" on street.

300 sport, with the 18" amg wheel option ... contisport3s. Needless to say I drove home through my neighborhood at a 45 degree angle looking out my passenger window. The kids thought it was pretty funny watching me "drift" down the road in straight line.

I wonder how much brake pad ESP used up today.

Oddly enough, the tires had plenty of stopping power even in 2" of snow. And getting moving was fine, but no matter how little throttle was applied the car would not move in a straight line.

Worst of all, I could've just grabbed the keys to my wive's Q7 instead. :slap:

I feel your pain. Yesterday I got stuck a block from my house. Car (W203 2003 coupe) slid sideways while going up a hill (1 block away from getting home), ended up about 7-10cm from TWO parked cars. It was so tight I could hit one of the parked car with my front tire if I turned the wheel. Had to push in the upper car's side mirror so that I could get by without breaking mine off. There was no way I could move without smacking the one parked farther downhill so I had to get out and knock on the door of the person who owned the car. Thank goodness her friend was home. She moved the lower car forward (down the hill) 2 car lengths. Got back in my car and started rolling backwards back down the hill. Rolled down my window and braked to thank her. Car immediately lost grip again, and started sliding sideways AGAIN (this time directly into the car again!) Immediately threw it into N and released the brake. Car regained traction and i rolled another 2 lengths. Now the intersection was coming up (and there were cars crossing/sliding across this thing) so I tried to brake again. This time my car went sideways right into the curb. Hopefully no alignment/curbage issues.

Went down a side street and approached my house from the flattest direction. (the adventures listed above were a result of me trying to take a closest route, which was the 2nd flattest direction :slap:)

oblu 12-03-2007 01:15 PM

Ouch ... I can only imagine what, 'flattest' is in Van.