MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Where do you store your brick..err.manual? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/221370-where-do-you-store-your-brick-err-manual.html)

430752 12-05-2007 09:32 PM

Where do you store your brick..err.manual?

So, I've got this leather encased brick called an owners manual riding on either my passenger seat or in the footwell. (its odd that in a mercedes, this is the only piece of leather in the whole car!). Anyway, the brick is there because it doesn't really seem to fit in the glovebox, or at least without doing some weird position to stuff it in there. So I ask, am I missing its natural home? Is there a hidden space for it which I have not yet found? Or is this some german engineer playing a prank on us.... "Watch this Otto, we'll design a 1200 page manual which will be in a dimension that doesn't fit in any box, compartment or orifice of the car! I bet those dumb owners, especially the yanks, will look for days on where to put this! hahahaha!"

SO, how about it?

Moviela 12-05-2007 09:35 PM

Thats what the little net on the transmission tunnel is doing for a living.

Now see if you can find the 11 other hidden undocumented details on the W204.

stephensong 12-05-2007 09:36 PM

I keep mine in the trunk on the left side by the first aid kit.

rb23lb 12-05-2007 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by stephensong (Post 2538043)
I keep mine in the trunk on the left side by the first aid kit.

this is where i keep mine too, however it did not fit naturally and i had to stuff it in there... good thing there is a bracket to prevent it from hitting the multimedia amp that is mounted close by

amdeutsch 12-05-2007 10:06 PM

Just read it, pull out the pages of non required info (at least of the time of your reading it) and it'll fit into more spaces. Afterall there is always the forum to ask in case you want to know something. :naughty:

PoaMike 12-05-2007 10:33 PM

I put it with the spare tire. also with a few towels and a fixa flat can. and a kilo of coca.... o nvm :)

-Mike:y

MBfan21 12-05-2007 10:52 PM

It doesn't fit in the glove compartment? On my 203, I stored it on the passenger side pocket. I would like to keep it in the car and not in the trunk as what if I need to get it out quickly. I don't want to run outside to get it. Maybe I will try to put it behind the driver's seat on the back pockets.

PoaMike 12-05-2007 10:57 PM

^Why would u need it? maybe a dumb question but after driving my car for about a week I think I knew everything thing to know about the car. No need to keep my "brick" in arms length

cgarcia0638 12-05-2007 11:03 PM

used to keep mine in the back seat, gave my passengers something to read

RLE 12-05-2007 11:43 PM

Storage space? What storage space?

<<So, I've got this leather encased brick called an owners manual riding on either my passenger seat or in the footwell. (its odd that in a mercedes, this is the only piece of leather in the whole car!). Anyway, the brick is there because it doesn't really seem to fit in the glovebox, or at least without doing some weird position to stuff it in there........>>>

You are right. The car's lack of storage space is absolutely pathetic. I have mine jammed onto the top shelf in the glove box where it doesn't fit. It will end up in the trunk eventually. What MB needs to offer is a storage box to fit onto the unused diesel battery platform next to the spare tire. I tried to find just such a box at the local Storables outlet (www.storables.com) and came up with a low plastic storage bin that almost exactly fits the battery support for $6.95. The problem with it is that it's only 2" high. It has little rubber feet and a rubber pad inside so items don't rattle. I need to construct a box with higher sides that will sit inside it. I installed the optional trunk storage drawer in my W203 that mounted under the package shelf on the right which held all the stuff mentioned but it's not offered for the W204. And that car had far more little storage spots.

ora12 12-05-2007 11:52 PM

My dealer simply put in in the trunk inside by the spare tire. Go figure...

Dema 12-06-2007 12:09 AM

Do you have a small version in plastic in glove box?

chilledbenz 12-06-2007 01:33 AM

Pull open the bottom floor of your trunk and stick it in with the spare tire. There's all sorts of room under there thanks to the mini spare....but at least there's an actual tire there and not a sticker saying "Ha ha you bought a BMW and are Sh*t out of luck...walk home".

aowhaus 12-06-2007 01:38 AM

If there wasn't that odd shelf in the glove box it would be nicely sized and very usable. Right now I have it stored in the passenger side transmisson storage net.
I'll probably move it to the cubby in the trunk once I get really familiar with all of the functions of my car.

I didn't know the manual case is actually leather. It feels more fake than the seats.

JimPap 12-06-2007 01:52 AM

Isn't the steering wheel leather?

lx Raven xl 12-06-2007 02:38 AM

I just realized I do not have a spare TIRE. WTF!!!! let me check with the dealer. I see on my board computer I have something called run flat system. Do you guys have it??

I store the manual in the glove box. Fits ok. no worries. I think I might just leave it home in a few days as I do not need it anymore.

st13phil 12-06-2007 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by lx Raven xl (Post 2538462)
I just realized I do not have a spare TIRE. WTF!!!! let me check with the dealer. I see on my board computer I have something called run flat system. Do you guys have it??

In some European markets the car is supplied with runflat tyres and no spare. In the UK the car comes with a space saver spare.

lx Raven xl 12-06-2007 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by st13phil (Post 2538529)
In some European markets the car is supplied with runflat tyres and no spare. In the UK the car comes with a space saver spare.

Hmm . went to me car again and checked the run flat system. It is set to automatic Active. My manual is in dutch so can not verify it as i do not speak dutch. I have to either check with dealer or me wife to translate.

My Bro BMW 3 sereies has a run flat system and I did not know that in mercedes its the same too.

st13phil 12-06-2007 08:09 AM

Take a look at the sidewall markings on one of the tyres. Each of the manufacturers has their own marking system for run-flat tyres (helpful, huh?) but some common ones are: Dunlop - DSST; Goodyear - EMT; Continental - SSR; Michelin - ZP or PAX; Bridgestone - RFT.

If you find one of those markings on the tyre then your car is fitted with run-flats.

tanktube67 12-06-2007 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by 430752 (Post 2538033)
So, I've got this leather encased brick called an owners manual riding on either my passenger seat or in the footwell. (its odd that in a mercedes, this is the only piece of leather in the whole car!). Anyway, the brick is there because it doesn't really seem to fit in the glovebox, or at least without doing some weird position to stuff it in there. So I ask, am I missing its natural home? Is there a hidden space for it which I have not yet found? Or is this some german engineer playing a prank on us.... "Watch this Otto, we'll design a 1200 page manual which will be in a dimension that doesn't fit in any box, compartment or orifice of the car! I bet those dumb owners, especially the yanks, will look for days on where to put this! hahahaha!"

SO, how about it?

I keep my brick in the top shelve of my garage, sorry guys but why do we need the brick for :confused: we are nor driving the space shuttle :rolf:

tanktube67 12-06-2007 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by JimPap (Post 2538433)
Isn't the steering wheel leather?

It suppose to be, at least my is :zoom:

Joey_G_1975 12-06-2007 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by lx Raven xl (Post 2538462)

My C300 came with runflats and a spare tire. I'm in Canada.

Also, my dealer put the manual in the trunk on the left side.

spotless 12-06-2007 11:49 PM

I think W204 is the only car out there that has manual larger than it's glove compartment.

stephensong 12-07-2007 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by spotless (Post 2539782)
I think W204 is the only car out there that has manual larger than it's glove compartment.

Yeah but the glove box has air-conditioning, so you can keep your gloves cool:nix:

lx Raven xl 12-07-2007 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by st13phil (Post 2538588)
Take a look at the sidewall markings on one of the tyres. Each of the manufacturers has their own marking system for run-flat tyres (helpful, huh?) but some common ones are: Dunlop - DSST; Goodyear - EMT; Continental - SSR; Michelin - ZP or PAX; Bridgestone - RFT.

If you find one of those markings on the tyre then your car is fitted with run-flats.

I got Pirelli Pzero 225/45R-17 91W

According to my search every car that has a tyre pressure monitor can fit runflats.

At Pirelli netherlands site its classed as Runflat.

:)