MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Another minor inconvenience. (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/221806-another-minor-inconvenience.html)

stephensong 12-09-2007 11:48 AM

Another minor inconvenience.

I am at just about at 6000 miles. While waiting for my wife to finish shopping, I decide to check the oil. I thumb through all of the options on the on board computer and could not find the check oil option. This was a feature on my ’05 W203. I fish my owner’s manual out of the trunk and page through it. Who would have thought that its back to the future, i.e. lift the hood and pull on the dipstick? Oh well, I guess the 2009 or 2010 or 2025 will have this feature.

Leesi 12-09-2007 02:19 PM

This classic feature is more accurate than the digital one :rolf:

peabers 12-09-2007 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Leesi (Post 2542938)
This classic feature is more accurate than the digital one :rolf:

But the digital one can take into account driving conditions, and driver input. It's a good predictor of the quality of the oil in the engine. Whereas the manual method will likely only tell laymen the quantity of oil in there.

Besides, we can't even get people to check their tire pressure... what makes you think they'd open up the engine compartment and pull out a dip stick??

W204 12-09-2007 03:07 PM

The digital feature does oil analysis??? Wow!

Oh Cool 12-09-2007 03:32 PM

Another disappointment but I sort of like the dipstick for better accuracy and checking without having to enter the vehicle while you are under the hood. Does anyone know if the C 350 has a transmission fluid dip stick?

RLE 12-09-2007 05:03 PM

Oil

<<But the digital one can take into account driving conditions, and driver input. It's a good predictor of the quality of the oil in the engine. Whereas the manual method will likely only tell laymen the quantity of oil in there.

Besides, we can't even get people to check their tire pressure... what makes you think they'd open up the engine compartment and pull out a dip stick??>>

Which is precisely the reason for the tire pressure sensors.

RLE 12-09-2007 05:05 PM

Fss

<<I am at just about at 6000 miles. While waiting for my wife to finish shopping, I decide to check the oil. I thumb through all of the options on the on board computer and could not find the check oil option. This was a feature on my ’05 W203. I fish my owner’s manual out of the trunk and page through it. Who would have thought that its back to the future, i.e. lift the hood and pull on the dipstick? Oh well, I guess the 2009 or 2010 or 2025 will have this feature.>>

FSS is gone forever as is the dash oil level check.

whatup? 12-09-2007 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 2543113)
Which is precisely the reason for the tire pressure sensors.

think the ford explorer and the firestone tire debacle . . . so now tire pressure sensors must be standard on all vehicles (whether a real time display or an idiot light).

chilledbenz 12-10-2007 12:21 AM

I haven't noticed this yet and I was just scrolling through those menus earlier ha ha. Wonder if this has anything to do with the 2007 3 series BMW problem? They issued a service bulletin on faulty oil sensors. It would flash up on the screen that it was low on oil and eventually say it had no oil in the system when it was perfectly fine.