MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Did you leased or purchased 2008 c-lass? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/221818-did-you-leased-purchased-2008-c-lass.html)

webada 12-09-2007 02:14 PM

Did you leased or purchased 2008 c-lass?

Just out of curiosity... Did you purchase or lease your c300/c350?

In my opinion, purchasing puts the consumer confidence of MB reliability and resale value up on the chart. With the negativity of JD powers rating and Consumer report, I am wondering how MB owners are taking it.

tanktube67 12-11-2007 10:56 AM

Purchased, at this moment I'm lease out

dion 12-11-2007 12:50 PM

Purchased because I tend to keep my cars longer than 5 years.

webada 12-11-2007 03:24 PM

Considering the leasing promotion that's going on with the c-class, I'm surprised at the majority purchased! Good for you all and a vote to MB's reliability!

congrats to you all MB owners!

oblu 12-11-2007 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by webada (Post 2545943)
Considering the leasing promotion that's going on with the c-class, I'm surprised at the majority purchased! Good for you all and a vote to MB's reliability!

congrats to you all MB owners!

What lease promo?!?! :nix:

rb23lb 12-11-2007 05:51 PM

puchased paid for in full

RLE 12-11-2007 06:49 PM

Lease?

<<Did you purchase or lease your c300/c350?>>

Wrote a check for it. I don't do payments.

oblu 12-11-2007 07:04 PM

Hey, so I've always wanted to ask somebody who does that ... how exactly do you afford 40+k in cash for a car?

I'm not poor ... not rich either ... but it'd take me, at our current investment rate + scrimping and saving pennies about 27 months to save up 40k in cash. And that's if we didn't do any house remodeling, took very low key vacations, didn't buy much in the way of clothes etc.

I'm pretty sure by the time I had 40k in cash saved up I probably wouldn't want to spend it on a car. I'd turn into 'millionaire next door' that drove a clapped out subbie and never spent a dime. Or I'd get it in my head to just buy a used Porsche and put the extra away for repairs.

Or do you just buy down market from what you could really be affording? Eg. pay 40k in cash for a C, but if you were in payments you could be driving an S?

RLE 12-11-2007 07:41 PM

So many questions

<<Hey, so I've always wanted to ask somebody who does that ... how exactly do you afford 40+k in cash for a car?>>

The car was about 45K and I had a trade-in. That plus a 28K check.

<<I'm pretty sure by the time I had 40k in cash saved up I probably wouldn't want to spend it on a car. Or I'd get it in my head to just buy a used Porsche and put the extra away for repairs.>>

I knew the new car was coming since I put a deposit down last January and I've been very careful about spending since then. And I already have a used Porsche.

<<Or do you just buy down market from what you could really be affording?>>

Not at all. The new C was exactly what I wanted since it would have all the newest technology in a small package. The E-Class is in it's sixth and probably last year of production before the W212 shows up. And, it's much more costly to buy and it's too large. The only new thing about it is the diesel engine which is very desirable but not for the price. And of course the S-Class while wonderful is way out of my price range and besides, no car hobbyist would ever buy one because they are too large and complicated to do any maintenance yourself. And I think too embarrassing to be seen in. I'd probably have to buy a whole new wardrobe and such.

As to who pays cash vs leasing or financing. my sales guy told me that the majority of the high end buyers pay cash and the prices are not the deciding factor.

oblu 12-11-2007 07:46 PM

I'll always be car payment guy ... there's no way I could part with 28k in one chunk.

webada 12-12-2007 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by oblu (Post 2546013)
What lease promo?!?! :nix:

think its in edmunds.com. $419 for c300 4matic, no packages tho.

onkelmarknr1 12-14-2007 08:13 PM

just purchased one online

ATSOBE 12-15-2007 10:06 AM

I had 40k in cash thought of a porshe but then again how uncomfortable it is for me to get in and out. Second no room for anyone in the back.. and third seen many car accidents in my town with porches they all end up like a tin can. So i decided to stick to a high safety rating car the c350. At the end of the day put only 16k down.. save the money for a rainy day

tanktube67 12-15-2007 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by ATSOBE (Post 2552302)
I had 40k in cash thought of a porshe but then again how uncomfortable it is for me to get in and out. Second no room for anyone in the back.. and third seen many car accidents in my town with porches they all end up like a tin can. So i decided to stick to a high safety rating car the c350. At the end of the day put only 16k down.. save the money for a rainy day

^:rolleyes: smart move :y unless you have a ton of money is worth to pay it cash, what it really matter is how much$$$$$ you have in the bank :zoom: " thats my opinion"

Krytech 12-15-2007 01:52 PM

I've always wondered why people decide to pay cash for cars today when money is so cheap to borrow. I understand it for older people like my parents or the uber rich, but for someone in their 20-40's, IMHO it would be cheaper to put down just enough to get your payments where you feel comfortable and invest the rest. If you can avg 10% in the market, and borrow at ~5%, it seems to me you'd be better off. But hey, what the heck to I know... Props to everyone who can be in a position to get a new car and not have payments, I hope to be there someday too! Probably not until the kids are out of college though... :mercy:

iguess 12-15-2007 11:07 PM

OBLU, it depends what kinda of person you are. person 1 drives a 99 camry, is ok with his current car. he wants a C300, but doesnt want to do payments. he saves up his money for 5 years, and buys one. Person 2 drives a camry, really hates his car, goes to the bank and get a 5 year plan. I think person 1 has patience, and stays on the safe side, just in case something comes up.