MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Hill Assist?!?!?! (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/222141-hill-assist.html)

bonds 12-11-2007 09:07 PM

Hill Assist?!?!?!

Guys,

has anyone noticed the Hill assist while having their car stopped atop a hill? This question is especially important for people with the 6spd manual? I just want to know if you guys have noticed it, how does it feel? is it helpful?

I have a 6spd manual on order and just read about this feature in reviews.

thanks

430752 12-11-2007 10:04 PM

funny, I was just noticing the car did NOT have hill assit on the way home through Livingston (a nearby town) on rt 10 tonight. And I was thinking isn't this sumabytch supposed to have it, or is it yet another thing mercedes forgot/deleted?

Now, I must make a disclaimer that I just noticed it tonight and am not quite sure as I only had 3 or 4 or 5 occurrences where it would've kicked in and wasn't fully paying attention at first. The situation was, however, that I only once stopped using the brakes (the others used gravity) and that may make a difference. What I mean is that in stop and go traffic we were inching up a hill and I was trying to keep momentum, even if only at 1 or 2 mph. Well, in a few instances (3 or 4) the car rolled backwards before I could give it a little more gas. So, no brake assist. BUT, one time I came to a complete stop and upon starting from the stop it kept in place with no roll back. Could've been my quick feet, could've been hill assist, I dunno. But since 3or4 times had car rolling backwards and onyl one time was car remaining still, I'm guessing no hill assist. Of course, unless you have to come to a complete stop for longer than a split second using the brakes for hill assist to work.

I have the 300 sport 4 matic automatic.

Untertürkheim 12-11-2007 10:33 PM

I believe hill start assist is only on the MT cars.

SNOW 12-11-2007 10:53 PM

My C350 has hill assist and as you all know, it only comes in auto. When I am stopped on a hill and let go of the brake, the brake stays engaged for another ~3 seconds before it starts rolling back. If you press the throttle before the 3 seconds are up, then the brake will disengage automatically.

earlybird 12-11-2007 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by bonds (Post 2546508)
Guys,

has anyone noticed the Hill assist while having their car stopped atop a hill? This question is especially important for people with the 6spd manual? I just want to know if you guys have noticed it, how does it feel? is it helpful?

I have a 6spd manual on order and just read about this feature in reviews.

thanks

The Hill Assist works fine on the 6-spd manual. This feature is important since the manual cars do not have a "hand" brake.

bonds 12-12-2007 06:29 AM

thanks guys!

Just what i wanted to hear. I am excited!!

Untertürkheim 12-12-2007 08:04 AM

I wish it would be possible to order SBC for the US.

tanktube67 12-12-2007 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by earlybird (Post 2546712)
The Hill Assist works fine on the 6-spd manual. This feature is important since the manual cars do not have a "hand" brake.

what do you mean:confused: it does not have parking brake:confused:, so when the car is turn off the brakes apply by it self:confused:

Untertürkheim 12-12-2007 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by tanktube67 (Post 2547010)
what do you mean:confused: it does not have parking brake:confused:, so when the car is turn off the brakes apply by it self:confused:

There is a parking brake of course, but it is (left) foot operated, not automatic.

430752 12-12-2007 09:44 AM

must use brakes?

So, the reason I didn't get the hill assist several times when driving was becuase I didn't stop by using the brakes? Who invented that? geez, half a solution. Sounds like a half-baked solution created by a lazy american engineer. Oh well, half a loaf is better than no loaf, right?

AsianML 12-12-2007 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by 430752 (Post 2547064)
So, the reason I didn't get the hill assist several times when driving was becuase I didn't stop by using the brakes? Who invented that? geez, half a solution. Sounds like a half-baked solution created by a lazy american engineer. Oh well, half a loaf is better than no loaf, right?

That makes perfect sense. How is it a half-baked solution? The hill start assist holds the brakes only when you stop with the brakes. How is the car supposed to know you want it held when the brake pedal isn't even touched when it's crawling?

AsianML 12-12-2007 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Untertürkheim (Post 2546991)
I wish it would be possible to order SBC for the US.

In the US? I thought MB dropped SBC period.

PoaMike 12-12-2007 04:14 PM

I think he wants the car know the degree of the incline/decline and act accordingly?

AsianML 12-12-2007 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by PoaMike (Post 2547640)
I think he wants the car know the degree of the incline/decline and act accordingly?

The car can't read your mind. It can only do what you tell it to do or predict what you're going to do within it's programmed "threshold" (can't think of the word here...). Hill start assist was designed to help with starting the car off from a standstill, not stop the car (430752 didn't state that specifically, but that's pretty much what he's implying).

PoaMike 12-12-2007 04:23 PM

O ok i understand. i was lost. My mothers ML has some kind of hill 'thing' and it made alot of loud clanks and such so she never played with it again lol. Thanks I understand what your saying now.

mleskovar 12-12-2007 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by AsianML (Post 2547637)
In the US? I thought MB dropped SBC period.

Yes, and for good reason....it's too undependable and the back up system is worthless.

LRM1 12-12-2007 04:34 PM

That's what my E350 must have. I thought it was just a crappy tranny. Everytime I am on a steep incline the car revs down, downshifts and it always felt like the brakes were being applied. I actually hate the feature.

Stick Girl 12-12-2007 05:07 PM

Hill assist is wonderful for me with the 6 speed. I have to incline to exit the parking garage at work. I always have to stop for the gate to go up, so when I let off of the brake, I don't worry that I'll roll back onto the car behind me before I can clutch.

earlybird 12-12-2007 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by LRM1 (Post 2547688)
That's what my E350 must have. I thought it was just a crappy tranny. Everytime I am on a steep incline the car revs down, downshifts and it always felt like the brakes were being applied. I actually hate the feature.

The following is a general explanation of "Hill Start Assist" technology. Drivers of maunual cars will find this technology most useful since the W204 cars do not have a "hand brake". (We have a foot operated parking brake).

Hill Start Assist
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hill Start Assist is a feature of some semi-automatic, cluchless transmissions, which prevents the car from rolling away when youre trying to pull away while on an up or down gradient, simulating a "handbrake hill start" manual drivers will be familiar with. The system engages automatically when a gradient of 3% or more is detected; it then acts to hold the car stationary for two seconds after the brake is released giving the driver time to get on the throttle.

Untertürkheim 12-12-2007 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar (Post 2547683)
Yes, and for good reason....it's too undependable and the back up system is worthless.

I have read a lot of complaints about SBC, but I have it as well as other family members (in several different models) and none of us have had any problems. I would hate to have a manual transmission without SBC.

Untertürkheim 12-12-2007 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by earlybird (Post 2547778)
The following is a general explanation of "Hill Start Assist" technology. Drivers of maunual cars will find this technology most useful since the W204 cars do not have a "hand brake". (We have a foot operated parking brake).

Hill Start Assist
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hill Start Assist is a feature of some semi-automatic, cluchless transmissions, which prevents the car from rolling away when youre trying to pull away while on an up or down gradient, simulating a "handbrake hill start" manual drivers will be familiar with. The system engages automatically when a gradient of 3% or more is detected; it then acts to hold the car stationary for two seconds after the brake is released giving the driver time to get on the throttle.

Except the MB feature for manual transmissions is a function of the brake system.

AsianML 12-12-2007 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Untertürkheim (Post 2547900)
I have read a lot of complaints about SBC, but I have it as well as other family members (in several different models) and none of us have had any problems. I would hate to have a manual transmission without SBC.

I remember reading that the brake systems, although hydraulic again now???, still retains some features of the SBC.

paulybagadonuts 12-12-2007 08:45 PM

Have this feature in my car and find it very useful. It not only holds the car in place at a stop then your headed up hill but also is useful when you're facing downhill and need to back up. A really great feature.

The other down hill thing one of the other posts is refering to is a feature that helps the car decend safely OFF ROAD at like 4 to 10 miles per hour. I made the mistake of trying it while going around 15 mph... not a good idea. :smash:

mleskovar 12-12-2007 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by AsianML (Post 2547949)
I remember reading that the brake systems, although hydraulic again now???, still retains some features of the SBC.

SBC is hydraulic as well. Yes, they incorporated the SBC functions into the 'standard' brake system....don't know why they didn't do that in the first place. Most SBC owners like it. There are a few that have had failures that turned out to be scary - some accidents. Hill assist sounds like a great feature

RLE 12-12-2007 10:49 PM

Sbc??

<<I have read a lot of complaints about SBC, but I have it as well as other family members (in several different models) and none of us have had any problems. I would hate to have a manual transmission without SBC.>>

Sensotronic Brake Control was abandoned and disowned by MB because of too many problems. No W211 has a manual trans. Here's a summary from a UK magazine:

<< Mercedes is dropping its high-tech brake-by-wire system from its E-Class and CLS ranges next year (2007) . Also used on the SL convertible, CL coupe and SLR supercar, Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC) was introduced by Mercedes with the promise of enhanced braking performance. The manufacturer has been plagued by faults with the electronic system, however, recalling more than 100,000 cars in the UK alone for checks and fixes. Worldwide, some two million Mercedes have been recalled because of SBC.>>